Infertility
Options

High AMH?

I am 34 and just got back my lab results showing an AMH level of 5.33ng/ml. My REI said everything looks great but I'm reading that 5.3 is a high level?

I've never been diagnosed with PCOS but do have endometriosis. In 2019 I did an ovarian stim cycle and retrieved 12 eggs, 11 mature and froze all. Now we are ready to to start trying and want to go the IVF route to screen for genetic issues. I've conceived naturally once and miscarried at 6 weeks (June 2021) but otherwise have never been pregnant but also haven't tried to conceive. I have surgery in June to excise some of the endometriosis and then we plan to do IVF.

has anyone else had a high AMH? How did things turn out for you? This whole process is so daunting

Re: High AMH?

• Options
    Hi! Welcome! :) My AMH has been tested twice and the results were 13.655 and 7.215. I do have PCOS, but my understanding is that these higher numbers are a good thing for fertility treatments as they indicate a good ovarian reserve.  My doctor has really only mentioned my high AMH as positive news for our Ivf treatment.
    From my research, AMH levels may be an indicator but are not part of the current diagnostic criteria for PCOS.

12 eggs for your retrieval in 2019 is wonderful and your higher AMH may have helped you with that.  We started Ivf this year but have not made it to retrieval yet so can’t comment on how things have turned out. Just started another stim yesterday.  Your doctor will look at everything of course, but sounds like they need to treat the endometriosis first.  

There is a ton of information thrown at you in the beginning and I was so overwhelmed.  I definitely recommend writing down your questions so that you can remember to ask them at your next appointment. You can always ask if they have ruled out PCOS and if not are there any additional concerns with that added diagnosis.  I am learning to be more direct about my questions but it is difficult to come up with them on the spot.

I hope everything goes well with your surgery.  Wishing you luck on your journey!