December 2022 Moms
Options

Pregnant w/ a Toddler? Tips Please!

lulam13lulam13 member
edited March 2022 in December 2022 Moms
Hey December Mommies!
Is anyone here pregnant with a toddler? I have a 22 month old and pregnant with my second. I’m 4w4d and already totally exhausted! I know it’s only going to get more intense over the next few months until the 2nd trimester. So if anyone has tips on how to survive the 1st trimester with a toddler in tow, please share! Even if you aren’t pregnant with one this go around but have been before… shoot even if you haven’t but have great advice, please share! Thank you!

Re: Pregnant w/ a Toddler? Tips Please!

• Options
    I'm pregnant with my 3rd this time around, but my son was only a week shy of his first birthday when I found out I was pregnant with #2. So pregnant with a one year old... the first semester was filled with lots of TV time and naps whenever I could get us both on the same schedule. My big purse was filled with all the toddler necessities plus granola bars, peanut m&ms, and water for me... sometimes a little jolt of sugar and protein helped in a pinch. But to be honest, that first few months I didn't go out of the house much unless I had to for work, appointments, etc.

However you manage to survive the next 3 months the biggest advice I can give is to give yourself grace and to remember this part won't last forever. When I could get my head above water again I was able to take my son out on fun adventures just the two of us before his sister arrived and those memoriesare some of my favorite. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I have no advice but I am in the same boat as you! mine is 24 months. Already exhausted as well!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    omnommeromnommer member
    edited March 2022
    I’ve got a preschooler (3yrs, 3mo), but feeling the same way! I imagine we all have to do what we need to do get through any fatigue, nausea, etc with little ones in tow. In the mornings, I try to set up an activity every morning that my DD can do on her own while I make breakfast and tea. Activities are like stickers, non-messy art projects or sensory bins. So, I’ll try to continue that and set it up in the evening if I am feeling fatigued in the mornings. Then perhaps extra screen time as needed, if that’s something you’ve introduced to your toddler. We love ABC Mouse over here for a “learning app” on a tablet. For out and about… I have no tips. 😂
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I have a 9 month old and now almost 5 weeks pregnant. I've noticed a dip in energy. I was also super nauseous my first pregnancy for weeks 7 through 12, so I'm nervous for that this time too. I liked how the person above suggested snacks that are ready, napping with baby if possible, and extra screen time. I have his toys out, and I can still manage to sit with him while he plays or hold him for book time. I've read taking walks outside help with nausea and energy levels. If he was more mobile I might play with him mostly in his room where he has more freedom to play. 
  • Options
    I have a 3 yo and 14 month old and am 5 weeks pregnant. My advice is to put the kids in their room for quiet time for an hour a day minimum. Make sure their rooms are safe and that they can't get out. Then go take a nap!
  • Options
    No advice, in the same boat. Mine is 4 years old and I’m exhausted.
  • Options
    No real advice but DD just turned 18mo and I’ve been taking a nap everyday while she naps. I know they always say “sleep while the baby sleeps” and I feel like it’s so unrealistic except for right now. There’s much more Cocomelon being watched and I’m going to bed early each night too
  • Options
    I feel you . Is anyone else having problems changing diapers through morning sickness? When my 22 month old goes #2 , I just gag through the diaper changing experience.
  • Options
    bgr8bgr8 member
    Ask for help if you can and take naps when the toddler does. I was pregnant with our 2nd when the 1st was almost 2. My spouse worked 2nd shift so I had his help quite a bit. I’m currently 5w3d and we have a 7 month old and homeschool the older two. It’s crazy, but they help a lot and I take a nap or two when the little one does. You’ll get through it, just breathe and enjoy! 🤗
  • Options
    lulam13lulam13 member
    edited April 2022
    These are great tips! I’m a little more into it now so I have some to share:
    I definitely nap when our daughter does. So grateful she takes one 2-3 hour nap a day, it saves my life!
    I prepare ahead of time and find activities she can do that are mostly seated, like crafts, coloring, kinetic sand. She also likes to help prep food so if it’s something that doesn’t smell strong we can sit and do together it’s not too bad!
    we also found some activities outside where I can sit and get fresh air. I can’t run around with her like I used to (motion sickness 🙄) but she’ll help me water plants, we’ll do chalk art, make oobleck, etc!
    it really seems to help. And honestly I’ve just given up hiding the vomiting. I was worried it would scare her but now she knows my stomach hurts and I’m throwing up. It actually really helps! She’s so understanding for only being 22 months! 😍
  • Options
    I’m wearing mask when I have to change my 1st son diapers, and while i’m in the kitchen 😅,
  • Options
    I'm 7w1d and I have a 3 year old I try and get her to nap the same time I need to rest if I can before I go to work and we sleep in a bit if possible but it has been very tough for sure