December 2022 Moms
Options

Help- grandparents planning trip!

Hi,

I’m 5 weeks pregnant, in an unfortunately very high risk situation because of medical conditions. It’s way too early for me to feel comfortable sharing with my parents. They’ve been wanting us to have children for a long time (I’m 35- and unknown to them trying for a while :(). 

I wanted to wait until the end of the first trimester to tell them, or at the very least until our first ultrasound which will be at 9/10 weeks.  

I just found out they are planning a month long trip to Australia right around my due date. They haven’t booked it yet but probably will soon. What should I do?!!! 

Re: Help- grandparents planning trip!

• Options
    ajp53ajp53 member
    Hmm this is hard. The only option I think is telling them. If they don’t know you’re high risk, let them know that too. Just tell them to hold off booking. I hope everything goes well for you 💗
  • Options
    I would tell them. If anything happens you would want family for support . 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks @ajp53 & @sarahkdenny
    I think I know the only option really is to tell them, I just wish there was some sneaky way to get them to not book their trip ha! 

• Options
    @sprout1234 since we’re all due around the holiday season, is there anyway to convince them to hold off because you have some special holiday plans you or your partner are trying to coordinate? Do you have pets? If so, tell them that you are going to be out of town at that time and need a pet sitter. Any other reason you can think of to get them to stay or delay their trip? You can always say you are concerned about them traveling with Covid cases rising in the colder months and maybe they should wait a little while to see about more effective boosters. Idk, I’m spitballing! I’m totally with you though. My parents thought we would never have kids and we totally blindsided them when I was pregnant with my first. I made up a whole scenario to film it and everything. It blew their minds. The best surprise ever! I hope you can find a way to keep it a secret 🤞
  • Options
    @lulam13 thanks! Good ideas, but not sure they can work.  My mom invited us to go and I used the “we don’t have any vacation time left this year” route to get out of that and try to suggest we go next year instead, but that didn’t work so I doubt the “please watch our cats” thing will sway them ha. 

I think right now I might try to convince them that the best flight deals to Australia are in June so she should wait to book. I was also going to maybe offer to help book their trip but say I can’t do it for a few weeks cause I’m busy with work or something? 
  • Options
    You could offer to help book and ask what their budget is, then tell them rates are super high and they should wait a month.

But May I ask why you don’t want to share the news that you’ve had difficulties? Not trying to pry but having had 2 miscarriages myself I found the support and understanding to be helpful.
  • Options
    sprout1234sprout1234 member
    edited April 2022
    @elizabeth.aulwes every family is different! I’m sure they would be supportive but they are also always full of unsolicited advice so we’ve chosen to keep our conception journey private for now.
    Also we look forward to surprising them with the good news! If they knew we were trying they would constantly be asking us if we had any luck. 

@lulam13 can’t wait to surprise them!

UPDATE: Good news - managed to get them to see next year makes more sense to travel with their time lines, so crisis averted. We will be able to take our time and surprise them when it’s right!