December 2022 Moms
Options

Are you planning on seeking mental health counciling during pregnancy?

No judgement here. I'm a PTSD complex case so I plan on continuing my mental health care during pregnancy. But I just wanted to cross check here in the community if anyone else is on the fence. 

Are you planning on seeking mental health counciling during pregnancy? 16 votes

Yes
68% 11 votes
No
6% 1 vote
Unsure
25% 4 votes

Re: Are you planning on seeking mental health counciling during pregnancy?

• Options
    I have struggled with anxiety and depression for most of my adult life. I have symptoms of chronic illness induced ptsd due to an autoimmune disorder which is currently in remission, but am just beginning to consider seeking treatment at this point. I’ve not had a good run with mental health professionals over the last 10 years for a bunch of reasons, including feeling unheard and over medicated. I worry about delving into these issues now, while my emotions are so much like a roller coaster. If I had been in treatment before becoming pregnant, it would be a little different I think but I’m still on the fence for now, trying to manage as best I can without cannabis, which had been really helpful to me. 
  • Options
    I have been seeing a councelor regularly for a while now and on and off since I was a teen for anxiety and depression as well as other reasons.
    I truly believe everyone should have a therapist for various moments in life for guidance, reassurance and just a leaning post.
    Finding the right councelor/therapist is always the most tedious part though.
    It’s worth once you find one that you click with though imo.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a therapist that I see monthly and will continue to do so.  Taking care of my mental and emotional health is as important, and sometimes more so, than my physical health.  I sought therapy about a decade ago...I wanted help to pull my ex out of addiction (very foolish thought to me now!).  I have been incredibly grateful for the support that I received, and I know I am a much happier and healthier person now than I was when I started.  I also believe that I am much better prepared to become a parent as a result...which also means knowing I will be a very different parent now than I would have been at a younger age or before seeking help. 

I agree with the others that believe mental health treatment can benefit anyone, and I've certainly encouraged others on the fence about it to go for it.  
  • Options
    Hello! I’ve been working with my own mental health diagnoses for almost 15 years. I worked with someone during my first pregnancy and it really helped. I highly recommend if you have someone you trust to do so and continue doing it. I say this because postpartum can be a real beast. I know we are all caught up in being pregnant right now, but I severely underestimated the toll postpartum life would have on me and my family. I am very grateful I already had someone lined up that I trusted to get me through that time. So just consider if you’d like to deal with sorting all those logistics out now or potentially when you are healing from birth, sleep deprived, and trying to keep a newborn alive!
  • Options
    Hey! I have bipolar and here in the UK you can access a perinatal mental health team on the nhs before you get pregnant to discuss how they can support you and you then see them throughout your pregnancy. I've felt really worried about post partum and just crazy hormones as I'm so sensitive. Sleep is a big trigger for me too so that's a worry. I've definitely noticed a rise in anxiety in the past couple of weeks so am requesting my referral back to the team now I'm actually pregnant. Does feel like another aspect of pregnancy to contend with but I feel better knowing I have more wraparound support if I need it! 
  • Options
    Hi all! I’m a psychologist who also sees my own therapist- it’s been incredibly helpful throughout this process. In addition, I’m thankful that part of my IVF treatment included a required session with a fertility psychologist. It was normalizing and informative. If you’re looking for a provider, in my opinion, one of the best national resources is https://psychologytoday.com (I am not a paid sponsor ;) You can filter by location, Insurance, specialization, race, gender, etc. I hope this is helpful! 
  • Options
    So grateful to hear mental health being spoken about so openly!
    I started therapy in December at my lowest point during our IVF journey and it’s helped me tremendously. I continue to see my therapist (virtually) weekly and she has been great at reminding me to give myself grace, to celebrate small milestones and to take care of myself.
  • Options
    I started seeing a therapist a few years ago when my partner and I started getting serious. I always managed to cope well enough on my own but I had stuff to deal with and wanted to be in a healthier place before sharing my life with someone. I later started to doing EMDR to work through a bunch of childhood trauma. I didn't realize how much of that stuff was wrapped up in my fears about motherhood. Wooie there's a ton to unpack there 😂 

If you don't like your first or current therapist, it's totally okay to see someone else. Take advantage of phone consults. And there's different types of therapy out there besides just talking though I think it's a great place to start.  I am really glad to see this thread.