Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Repeat Miscarriages

Hello. I just had my second miscarriage. I was 7w6d with my first ultrasound, and the baby was only 6w6d. I miscarried with my first pregnancy one year ago at 11w and needed a D&C. Both of my miscarriages were classified as missed miscarriages. Has anyone here had repeat miscarriages? If I may ask, how many? Did you still continue to try to conceive afterwards? Did you have a successful full term pregnancy? I’m trying to decide if I want to try again, or if I should trust the universe when it’s telling me “no”. Thank you.

Re: Repeat Miscarriages

• Options
    @kasia121 I'm a Recurrent Pregnancy Loss sufferer.  I've had 5 MCs over a 4 year period.  I've never had a successful live birth.  My first MC I had a D&C due to a suspected molar PG, although it turned out to be a standard Missed MC.  My other 4 MCs were natural MCs.  None of my PGs made it beyond 7ish weeks.  

Honestly, the decision is up to you.  I'll say that I've seen way more people come through here who've had 1 or 2 MCs and went on to have a successful PG with a live birth, than those who've been here through 3+ MCs. However, there is a small subset of us who experience RPL.  I took mine one PG at a time.  Each time I made a decision to try again.  I knew that the options were either to try again or to give up.  I kept pushing through, one day at a time and one PG at a time.  

Also, if you've had 2 MCs in a row with no live births in your history at all, you could qualify for RPL testing with an RE.  That could give you some information.  Now, keep in mind that approximately 50% of RPL sufferers do the testing and end up with an 'unexplained' diagnosis (I'm one of those).  However, I still advocate for the testing because the other 50% find out the cause of their RPL and some of those issues have an easier fix to have a living birth for the next PG.  Even then, the 50% of us who have an unexplained diagnosis, many go on to have a successful live birth without much intervention.  If we just keep trying.  I think it was something like up to 65% or something like that (but this stat varies greatly depending on age, number of MCs, etc.)

I'm sorry for your losses.  It is a very difficult thing.  You have to make a decision based upon what you feel comfortable with.  Also know, that right now you may just need a break with having had your second MC.  Maybe take a few months off and see how you feel.  I know sometimes I would feel "I AM DONE" and then a few months later I'd feel up to trying again.
    *TW All the Loss* #BitterHagPartyOf1

October 2015 - 1st MC.  7-8 weeks along. Suspected molar PG, but luckily just a MMC.

June 2016 - 2nd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

September 2016 - 3rd MC: 4-5 weeks CP

RE 1: ALL the testing - 'unexplained'  "Yinz can do IVF or try on your own"

Feb 2017 - 4th MC: 6 weeks

RE 2: More tests. Still 'unexplained.'  Called fat for an entire hour-long appointment, cried a lot

Feb 2019 - 5th MC: 6-7 weeks

IUD - March 2019-March 2023

RE 3:  Repeat all the tests. Hoping to try IVF.

• Options
    Thank you.