Baby Names
Options

Daisy as a name?

I have always liked the name/nickname Daisy and it’s one of the only names my husband and I both like. But I can’t decide if it’s a formal enough name for an adult. I had always thought naming Margaret or Marjorie after our grandmothers and then a nickname Daisy. But husband isn’t keen on that if we have no plans on calling the child and not wanting anyone else call her by Margaret/Marjorie. 

If you think Daisy is an ok formal name, middle name ideas?  

Re: Daisy as a name?

• Options
    I have always liked the name/nickname Daisy and it’s one of the only names my husband and I both like. But I can’t decide if it’s a formal enough name for an adult. I had always thought naming Margaret or Marjorie after our grandmothers and then a nickname Daisy. But husband isn’t keen on that if we have no plans on calling the child and not wanting anyone else call her by Margaret/Marjorie. 

Please give your child a strong name of Margaret or Marjorie- she will appreciate it in her adult life. 

Sorry but the only things named Daisy have been dogs and a guinea pig.  It really sounds immature, IMO for the real world.  

Having a strong first name and NN Daisy is perfectly fine! 
  • Options
    I’m not sure what a longer version of Daisy would be, but I’d suggest a different D name with the nickname Daisy. Danielle, Daniella, Dahlia (another flower name), Delilah, Diana.

Apparently Margaret is the full name for Daisy, because the French version is Daisy in French, but in English that seems like a stretch. Overall, I agree that Daisy is an adorable kid’s name, but not an adult name.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love the name Daisy! 
  • Options
    Daisy makes me think of the Great Gatsby! I love flower names. If people can name their children Rose, Lily, and Heather—all flowers—why not Daisy? 🌼
  • Options
    I love the name daisy! I know adults with the name. My husband and I would consider it as one of the middle names if we have a girl. If you aren’t set on it being a first, I would perhaps suggest making it a middle name and using it as a nickname. Once older or in a different environment, she could choose to go by her first name instead. Likely she’ll prefer Daisy! 

Personally certain names people may suggest as “strong names” aren’t always likeable to everyone or better than Daisy. And in 18 years normal names may look different. So go with what you both like!🥰
  • Options
    I immediately think of The Great Gatsby’s Daisy, who is an adult. There’s plenty of less mature sounding names given to girls these days, why not use a classic floral name. It’s very posh English Nursery to me; the Churchill family was full of whimsical & floral names.
  • Options

Please give your child a strong name of Margaret or Marjorie- she will appreciate it in her adult life. 

Sorry but the only things named Daisy have been dogs and a guinea pig.  It really sounds immature, IMO for the real world.  

Having a strong first name and NN Daisy is perfectly fine! 
    My grandmother actually hated her name Marjorie all her life. So I think you can’t always assume that. 

I once told her I’d like to name my daughter after her and she said please don’t, because she disliked her name so much. She’s been gone many years now but I’ve often thought about that even though I’d like to honor her. 
  • Options
    Daisy Margaret sounds cute! 

I grew up with a girl named Daisy, and she had no trouble with her name. I can’t imagine her with any other name!
  • Options
    I had a kindergarten student named Dasia if that helps:) 
  • Options
    I worked with a woman named Daisy. She pulled it off well- sweet, kind, quiet but strong in a graceful way. I also have an ex-aunt-in-law (uncle’s ex wife) named Daisy and she was NOT a “Daisy” person. She is rude and nasty during the custody arrangements for my little cousins.

I guess I would just say, a name doesn’t make a person. Raise your daughter to be a good person and her name will not be quite so important.

My personal opinion is to steer away from Daisy, but I think your daughter will be perfectly fine no matter what you call her. Just raise a good human. :)
  • Options
    Daisy is such a pretty name! I would not listen to naysayers, everyone has an opinion which is why I prefer not to share the name we chose as I just don’t want to be influenced by the arbitrary preferences or biases of others. 
  • Options
    I love the name Margaret! Daisy is lovely as well! 
  • Options
    We just got our blood test back and are having a girl. I've already decided on marigold (Goldie is a family name) and her older sisters name is Juniper. I see no issue with Daisy at all! I have given my girls middle names they can go by if they aren't the botanical sort when they grow in but I think Daisy is so fun! She will fit right in
    , in this new generation of beautiful unique names!
  • Options
    I named my daughter Daisy Ray - Daisy was a family name on my husbands side and Ray is my grandpa who passed away before she was born. We googled the name and I think there is a drag Queen named Daisy Ray….but we were okay with that! :) It was the only name we had that we liked when she was born. :) 
  • Options
    I can really see it on a little girl. I am not so certain about an adult as it DOES sound cutesy, but would not feel it's a deal breaker and be open to get to know a grown Daisy, of you know what I mean?