July 2022 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Toys

Share any toy recommendations you have here!

Re: Product Spotlight: Toys

• Options
    It's ugly as sin, and the songs will be stuck in your head and drive you crazy... but the Fisher Price Kick n' Play Piano Mat is great! Everyone says it's a must have and I would definitely agree - DD loooooooooved this thing!

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Deluxe-Kick-Play-Piano/dp/B076HYFZ37
  • Options
    @feather_heather omg yes!! Thank you for using the same gif I wanted to use when I couldn't create this darn thread yesterday!!

This is totally more for a toddler but my niece has been really enjoying her Magna-tiles!

Please share all the awesome STEM toys with me. We are engineers lol.

Does anyone have a good list of toy staples for infants and toddlers? Like I know there's the activity play mats, block toys, stuff that plays music and sounds. Curious what stuff is best for baby's development through the years.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @inthewoods23 - DD is the baby in the GIF haha I don't even bother to clean until she goes to sleep at night. 

Here are some of our most used toys with DD:

Infant Age:

These links were great! She would play with the links themselves and we also used them to make the items on her piano mat closer to her, and to hang things on her car seat and stroller handles: https://www.target.com/p/infantino-go-gaga-animal-parade-links/-/A-79557599

We hung this on her car seat handle and she loved to play with it: https://www.target.com/p/manhattan-toy-llama-clip-on-baby-travel-and-teething-toy/-/A-82458645#lnk=sametab

This ball is a must have: https://www.target.com/p/oball-toy-ball-rattle/-/A-76527805?preselect=76474774#lnk=sametab

She loved this caterpillar toy as an infant: https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/kids-preferred-eric-carle-the-very-hungry-caterpillar-attachable-activity-caterpillar/1040851532?skuId=40851532&store=&mrkgcl=611&mrkgadid=&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_toysbooks_online&product_id=40851532&product_channel=online&adtype=pla&enginename=google&adpos=&creative=263203197287&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&utm_campaignid=71700000087012500&utm_adgroupid=58700007418325764&targetid=92700066539520749&&product_id=40851532&product_channel=online&adtype=pla&enginename=google&adpos=&creative=263203197287&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3IqSBhCoARIsAMBkTb0b-PDU9dPMgT0AOmdEgsst6EKhaaUA6fPMegQxQQ5c5goy64jPSqcaAoJ5EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

We used these magnetic gears on a small magnetic whiteboard for tummy time and then again when she was also practicing learning to sit. They were recommended to us by her therapist when she was in PT for torticollis. She loved looking at them and then playing with them when she could sit: https://www.lakeshorelearning.com/products/ca/p/DD939/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3IqSBhCoARIsAMBkTb1IR5VPCIpJTed4I02Xc1e6AQyEzmKvOLyb4tjsSetxdOaB1dSWg58aAm4kEALw_wcB

This guy is cute and she still likes to play with him: https://www.amazon.com/Gund-Animated-Flappy-Elephant-Plush/dp/B01AC7SF7K

Books and those soft crinkle books! 

Toddler:

She loves her wood stacking rings: https://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Rainbow-Stacker-Educational/dp/B000067PWG/ref=asc_df_B000067PWG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309812383388&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8246544565471438791&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001863&hvtargid=pla-383089463029&psc=1

She loves playing with this picnic basket toy where you have to match the shapes of the food to fit it thru the hole: https://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Shapes-Sharing-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B07C5CVLYL/ref=zg_bs_251945011_49/144-6107034-7543234?pd_rd_i=B08B6P8Y9C&psc=1

We liked this walker because she could also sit and play with the things on the front: https://www.amazon.com/VTech-Stand-Learning-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B0053X62GK/ref=asc_df_B0053X62GK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198093909967&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7235311204227172752&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001863&hvtargid=pla-368828460659&psc=1

I think the barn is a classic and she loves playing with it: https://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-little-people-caring-for-animals-farm/-/A-52131740?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000014851607&CPNG=PLA_Toys+Shopping_Brand|Toys_Ecomm_Hardlines&adgroup=SC_Toys&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9001863&targetid=pla-82462125649&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3IqSBhCoARIsAMBkTb3msDukjSerV0MePQMKtAixn3EmNPleJVdw3dNbWXn_A95MdYclepMaAkp9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Loves baby dolls - will walk around patting her back and feeding her the little bottle.

Loves coloring! Crayons and those magic markers that only work on special paper. 

She loooooves her ball pit (from amazon) and we also have a nugget and really like that as well.

She is a huge bookworm and would sit and let us read to her all day. I get most of her books from free from my town's free facebook group! 

...can you tell she has too many toys (and that doesn't even scratch the surface lol) We're going to have to do a clean out in order to also have room to bring out all the infant toys again. 

• Options
    I’ll have to think of more, but my daughters both have these and are obsessed (ages 5 and 2). It truly helps them go to sleep and it’s easy for them to turn on themselves when they’re an older baby to self-soothe. 

Baby Einstein Sea Dreams Soother Musical Crib Toy and Sound Machine, Newborns Plus https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07DM86Z43/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BP3GFENWTTMKBBQ2Q37W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • Options
    Just don't go to nuts on anything for the itty bitty babies. They outgrow those toys SO DARN FAST. 

I can't recommend getting a playgym enough. We've had three different ones now, and all have been used multiple times daily. My kids love their tummy time in their little baby gyms. 

The only other toy I can think of that my kids really loved was the fisher price piano. Actually that entire line of puppy toys are pretty solid. We had the puppy and the puppy walker and the paino and a couple other things and my kids loved all of them. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Laugh-Learn-Smart-Stages/dp/B01NCUPCD4

Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    Infants don't need much in terms of toys, more interacting with them and the environment.  
    If you can find black/white cards those can be great and we love this book:  Look Look Book https://www.amazon.com/Look-Peter-Linenthal/dp/0525420282/ref=sr_1_1?crid=349GQMW5ZXCDL&keywords=look+look+baby+book&qid=1648577867&sprefix=look+look,aps,94&sr=8-1

We had a few rattles we liked from the Manhattan Company that we got from Target

Play mat - i really like the Lovevery one. I got lucky and got one for free through a friend's sister when the company was first getting established, and I know they are pricey, but i love the look of it and that it can turn into a little tent so we got a lot of use from it.

I also really like the Lovevery play kits- we did not start until a year old and looking back at the infant kits now, i don't see a need for them, although i may have felt differently if this was our first kid and i was going to be at home.  I really like that they have a guide that comes with each one to also give you ideas of developmental milestones and other activities to do at different age ranges (one comes with the play mat too)

Lots of books

We got a nugget around a year old and LOVE it and use it ALLLL THEE TIME

We also like the SkipHop activity table which is good for when they need help sitting and then trasnition to pulling up to play on the side.

We did not use a walker due to safety concerns

Toys on car seats are also safety issues as kids can get injured by them in the car - fine to use in the stroller though

When they get a little bigger, we like big wooden blocks - i got a bunch hand me down from a friend - they help with stacking and organizing

Biggest tip - know your family and what works for you, I recommend not having too many toys and not having them all out at the same time.  i started modeling putting things away and then when age appropriate had my kiddo help me put things away to set that stage too.  My first kiddo was in day care 5 days a week until 9 months and then just 3 days a week so we didn't have a ton of stuff at home. we went to the park or for walks or to the aquarium, etc

We did have an elephant that I think someone posted that sings the "do your ears hang low" song - we got rid of it when I learned the history of the song, in addition to learning racial history related things for some of the books we had, so if that matters to you, just something to be mindful of

I also like this music kit, we got it at a year old but could have used it sooner, https://www.target.com/p/b-toys-toy-drum-set-7-instruments-parum-pum-pum/-/A-12026425#lnk=sametab

I really like montessori concepts in parenting and organizing space, and though we are not strict on it, that helped me make some decisions on what we bring into our home. we use a lot of natural materials and calm colors. I like Manhattan Company and Hape

Regarding push toys to walk - we liked using a baby doll stroller or shopping cart so that it could be something that was used longer term for play rather than some baby specific push toy that was used shorter term
  • Options
    Cross over with baby shower / but we asked for books instead of cards for our baby shower with our first to help start his library and has cool messages from friends/ family
  • Options
    oli9oli9 member
    @runnergirl2018 I agree about not having toys everywhere. We do a toy rotation in our house. All of their toys are put away where they can’t access them and twice a week on Monday and Thursday  I rotate the toys and put out 5 - 7 different toys for them to play with, this includes big toys like their Fischer Price trampoline, play tents and ride-ons. This way the kids don’t get bored of anything and no matter how long they’ve had a toy they act like it’s brand new every time we rotate them. 

I second the Magna Tiles. They are expensive but my 2 and 4 year old LOVE playing with them.

We LOVE IKEA toys! They are such great quality and most of them are wooden toys that I adore. 
  • Options
    For Magna tiles - keep an eye on target sales especially around xmas - I used a $20 off toy coupon stacked with something else and got a $100 set for $50
  • Options
    @runnergirl2018 yes to the target sales! I got my niece's first set when they had toys 25% off. Didn't have that this time around for her birthday gift so I went with a smaller 60pc set or something and also got the storage box - which my sister was SO grateful for. Apparently when they finished playing with the Magna-tiles they would neatly put them back in the packaging they came in. Now my niece can play to her heart's content on the mat and when she's done fold it up to make it the storage box.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Options

DS loves his “magna-tiles!” I put quotes because we actually got the off brand Picasso tiles from amazon that are half the price. I personally think there better than the magna-tiles brand. They seem more magnetic to me. But that storage box sounds interesting @inthewoods23. I’m going to have to check that out!

I also recommend getting some links like @feather_heather suggested. We just had some off of the play mat, but they were a big hit for some reason. Such a silly thing to enjoy playing with lol.

I actually found that the younger babies really don’t need much at all. Just something to chew on and a play mat and they’ll be good.

We also got a walker like @feather_heather suggested. It was great for even just the sitting stage. DS still plays with it now and he’s 2.5.

We also have a nugget that gets a lot of use. Think removable couch cushions, but so much better! You can build forts, slides, or just use it for a crash pad. And it can be used for sleep overs or movie nights. Highly recommend.

We also have a bookworm. He loves reading soooo much! We read at least 6 books every night before bed (and for naps lol). We have a ton of books at home but we actually started going to the local library recently. We go every week and pick out 6 new books. DS loves it! I hope he continues to love reading as he gets older.

I’ve really been meaning to do the toy rotation thing. It would really help with the clutter of all the toys. But I just don’t know where I would store the not used toys. We really don’t have enough space for it. Ugh, some day I’ll figure it out.

*TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Options
    A lot of my recommendations have already been covered, so I was trying to think if there's one thing I could recommend for FTMs and it would have to be anything "Oball" brand. We had balls, floating bath toys, a rattle, cars, etc. and they were the best for my son's developing motor skills because he could grab them and play with them well before he could grab on to a solid toy car. I think we even had a 3 piece train where the pieces snapped together and he would play with that thing all day! 

Oball Cars Multicolor buy and offers on Kidinn

This is just making me realize I have to get out the bins of "baby" toys in the basement and totally reorganize our playroom so the "big kid" stuff is up high and out of a toddler's reach... thank goodness newborns aren't mobile for awhile! 
  • Options
    Oh I thought of one more! Melissa & Doug soft blocks:

Melissa  Doug Match  Build Soft Blocks Developmental Toys 17 Pieces  Great Gift for Girls and boys - Best for Babies and Toddlers 9 Month Olds  1 and 2 Year Olds  Amazonca Everything Else

I would make towers and when my son learned how to knock them down, around 6 months old I think, he would laugh SO HARD and it was the cutest thing in the world. I remember building towers over and over and he would knock them down and laugh his head off. Eventually he could build himself with them - and as a bonus, each of the six sides have different graphics and can go together to make a puzzle, so they were a hit well into the toddler stage! (here's another photo to show what I mean)

Melissa  Doug - Match  Build Blocks - styles may vary  Babies R Us Canada
  • Options
    pro tip - don’t get any water toys that can get water inside them. They’ll never fully dry out and will mold
  • Options
    cmhmecmhme member
    Definitely will fourth or fifth the whole "oball" brand. We had one and i ended up getting three other kinds.

Also, c clips can be used for so many things. Attaching other toys to the car seat, the bouncer, the playmat or they just like playing with them by themselves

Amazon.com: HAHA Baby Link-to-Go Connecting Rings Toy Hanging Stroller Car Seat Crib Playmat Attach Toys Infant Newborn Boy Girl Clip On Early Education Learning Travel Accessory Set : Toys & Games
    Our Journey:
    Me: 40
    TTC since 2017
    3/18-9/18- IUI's
    11/18- IVF #1
    1/19- IVF #2
    8/19- DE Cycle #1- 5 PGS tested normal
    9/19- FET #1- SUCCESS! May 2020
    10/21- FET #2- SUCCESS! July 2022
  • Options
    Here’s what was a hit with my DD over the years

For newborn - 9mo or so

-Definitely a playgym/activity mat
    -We liked the Skip Hop activity table too especially because it has multiple uses depending on age
    -Something crinkly, DD loved any toys that crinkled 
    -Sophie the Giraffe for teething/comfort object 

For 9-18mo (though DD still plays with some of those now at 24 mo)
    -Shape sorter toys
    -Stacking ring toy
    -Vtech walker (DD never actually walked with it but loved playing with the front of it
    -Soft blocks
    -Musical instruments
    -Bead maze
    -Simple wooden puzzles 
    -Skip Hop scooter: goes from push toy, to ride on to stand on scooter

For 18-24 mo
    -Duplos
    -Crayons & coloring pages
    -Play kitchen/food (especially while we are cooking)
    -Foam peg board and pegs (montessori toy)
    -Bigger cars/trucks 
    -Tea set

I’ve only ever bought a handful of toys, they are very easy to get for free on Buy Nothing groups or she’s gotten them as gifts for birthdays and the holidays. It does help to rotate toys, I need to be better about that. I also love anything the grows with kids through multiple stages!