1st Trimester
Options

Announcement anxiety

We have been ttc for a while and keeping it a secret from our family just because we felt like people knowing we’re trying added pressure to get pregnant. Now we’re pregnant and starting to think about how to tell our family... and for some reason I am FULL of anxiety about it. It has nothing to do with chance of miscarriage or anything.. we plan to tell them around 12weeks. I know everyone will be completely thrilled but just thinking about telling them increases my heart rate and makes me shake and sweat! Anyone else? What is wrong with me?

Re: Announcement anxiety

• Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    edited March 2022
    It can be an awkward thing to tell people: “hey, we had sex and made a baby!” Tell people when you’re ready. If you feel like you’ll be relieved afterward then rip the bandaid off and get it over with. I’m an introvert that doesn’t like being the center of attention and also don’t like keeping secrets, so while I was anxious, telling people was a relief.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    If its causing you that much anxiety, just tell people.  A lot of weight will be lifted off of your shoulders and you don't need to worry about telling people any more.  

Just my thoughts. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can totally relate. We’d planned to tell my parents after the first ultrasound and then I had a complete meltdown, couldn’t stop crying and didn’t want to share the news with anyone. My partner was completely baffled. It’s just such a vulnerable conversation! And I’m not used to being open with people about tender things. 
  • Options
    I understand.  We told some family early on and then some friends later.  It wasn't anything cute, just a phone call. We kept saying we would announce on social media at 12 weeks, then after the 20 week ultrasound. We ended up waiting until he was born to announce on social media.  Don't feel too much pressure to announce at a certain time or in a certain way.

I do agree that it made me very nervous telling people and my heart would race.  But I felt better afterwards.  And once certain people knew, I also knew they would take care of passing the info along (once I told them it was okay to share).  Maybe that is another way to share your happy news!?!  Congrats and good luck!