1st Trimester

Any pregnant teachers?

Any pregnant teachers out there? I am a high school teacher and today I am 6w1d. Morning sickness and mild cramping are running wild every day by 9am. Cramps usually last about 10 mins and then come and go a few times a day. How is everyone else handling teaching a class of 24-30 humans during a pandemic while feeling like throwing up on them all? Lol Any tips and tricks, or honestly just notes of encouragement, would be appreciated. I’m not telling anyone I’m pregnant until after the first trimester so I’m feeling very sick and very alone. 

Re: Any pregnant teachers?

• I told my principal right away, and she assigned someone to be on call for me so I could go throw up if necessary. It’s all in your comfort level, but that worked best for me! I’ve also known teachers to have a trash can right outside their door. 😂🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Small snacks all day long, I find if my stomach is empty I'll get sick. Mints, jolly ranchers work well.

I read recently that smelling  rubbing alcohol can help to, our hand sanitizers are a mist of rubbing alcohol so I'm looking forward to trying that when the nausea kicks in.

The worst part for me with teaching is the exhaustion, I'm only 4w5d so nothing has really started yet for me. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a second grade teacher. I plan to let my admin know soon. Very tired already though and unmotivated to be at work unfortunately. Lol
  • I’m starting week 11 and find it hard to cope with nausea first thing in the morning and after lunch. I agree the best solution is keep snacking. I pack a few different snacks every morning and keep crackers in my car for the drive home. I’m still not sure when I’ll let admin know bc I have a history of miscarriage, so I’m being very conservative with telling others for now. Also very nervous to be in school with such high COVID rate right now. Hope you’re all staying safe and healthy!
  • edited January 2022
    Not a teach but I’m an RECE in a preschool setting with 16 for now. They come very close. The one boys breath smelled, even through my mask and shield. I spit up in my mask a little. I’m not sure if the mask was a curse or a blessing, as no one knew I did it until I wiped my chin in private and changed my mask.

I’ve been snacking on crackers when I feel nauseated

I had to tell my boss as we are incredibly short staffed and it was looking like it was the only way I could get out for my dating ultrasound. But no one else aside from my fiancé and best friend know. I’m 7 weeks +5 until my dating ultrasound confirms otherwise
  • 2nd grade teacher here.
    Snacks definitely helped with nausea and energy, but I still needed to sit much more than I normally would during rough weeks. Needing more frequent bathroom breaks was also challenging on my schedule.
    I ended up telling my principal pretty early on, maybe at 8 weeks, mostly to avoid being scolded for sitting while teaching, which is very frowned upon at my school.
  • Hi! I am a pregnant high school math teacher. No one at work knows yet besides my one instructional assistant. She was a nurse, so I turned to her for support when I started my lovenox injections. I have my first ultrasound this Friday, which will be my second day off for baby, and I will only be 6 weeks! I plan on telling my coteachers next week since I will definitely need to rely on them during this pregnancy. 
  • Kindergarten teacher here- the struggle is so real. I’m anxious for parent teacher conferences next week while nauseous and not wanting them to know I’m pregnant yet. 7 weeks and struggling to make it through the days at school.
  • Preschool teacher!! The exhaustion is insane and I’m feeling crappy and on top of it I’m losing my Aide and I have an active class and an active toddler at home! I’ve been going to bed so early just to make it through the days!! Haha
  • Hi! 4th grade teacher here. I'm still very early (just about 5 weeks). I have 2 children and for my first pregnancy, I was teaching 1st & my second pregnancy I was in the same position I'm in now. I feel ok (a little exhausted) but I know what's to come. Soon I'll be housing mints like it's my job. It's the only thing, other than diclegis, that helps curb the nausea for me. I'll also start snacking throughout the day, which I find students have a huuuuuge issue with! Hahah "why do you get to eat right now and I don't?" So fun. I'll probably tell admin at 12 weeks.
  • I am also a pregnant teacher. I teach 12-15 year old students with severe special needs so I am most nervous about doing physical movements with the kids or getting hit/kicked. I haven't had much morning sickness thank goodness but i get exhausted so much quicker. Drinking tons of water and trying to snack throughout the day to keep my energy up! 
  • I’ve been going through fertility treatments and have had 2 miscarriages in 2 years, so my admin knows about all the stuff anyway. My principal is super supportive, so I keep her in the loop. I’m in a self-contained K-3 class, and my TA is amazing! We have a bathroom across the hall so thankfully I can go whenever I want more or less. I haven’t had any vomiting, and my nausea tends to lean more toward “evening sickness”, but I’ve still found snacking often helps! I use ginger candies that help and also, being able to stay behind my mask (even though the mask mandate is optional now) helps. If kids are being particularly gross, I’ll ask them to stop. If they continue, I have asked them (in a sarcastic way) in the past if they want me to throw up on them. They always get a chuckle out of that and usually it stops the behavior right away. They haven’t known about any of my pregnancies before, but they all think it’s hilarious when I’m nauseous or pretend to be for dramatic effect (after the 87th fart noise). The exhaustion is for real though! I’m 6w5d with twins and I feel like I’m going to keel over at any moment. 
  • Second grade teacher here. I told my
    principal very quickly. I had terrible anxiety the first 2 weeks and felt much better after telling him and my friends at work. 
  • Hi! first pregnancy here and I teach 2nd grade! I am only 5 weeks, but I have been having stomach discomfort, bloating, and mild to moderate “period” cramps as well. I don’t have my first appointment until April 4, and I am so stressed out with a million questions. Thank god I am on spring break this upcoming week. You are not alone.
  • snickerz3922snickerz3922 Just Joined
    6th grade teacher here! I find nausea has been tough to handle during during my first class and my class after lunch. Each day is a toss up whether I’ll get through the 60min class without a trip to the bathroom. I def turn my classroom lights off & lock my door during my lunch break though (brought a blanket to school too.) 🙈