June 2022 Moms

GTKY: Holiday edition

What is your favorite holiday to celebrate?

What is your least favorite holiday to celebrate?
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: GTKY: Holiday edition

• I love Thanksgiving. The food, the family, the parade, the dog show. It’s the best! And then the Ohio State vs ❌ichigan game is on that weekend, which is basically another holiday for OSU alumni.

Least favorite is probably Easter. I grew up Catholic but am no longer practicing, which is still a painful thing for me. So religious holidays can just be a little strange. I’m glad for Spring though!
  • I like Thanksgiving as well. Good to eat with family and hang out. Christmas is nice as well, but I don't like that even before Halloween is here, there seems to be Christmas decorations in stores.

• Loading the player...
  • Favorite - New Year. We do presents under the tree, Santa, the whole 9 for NYE (this is how we grew up celebrating it in Ukraine so carried over our traditions here). All the food, being together with family, and now seeing kids' excitement for the holiday is the best. And I just love the holiday season in general, the decorations, etc. 

Least favorite - I don't love Halloween when I have to dress up. My best friend's birthday is around Halloween and she used to throw costume parties, which I personally hated. Now I just enjoy dressing up the kids. 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• Halloween is the best holiday & I really was hoping my first would be born on it. I love everything about it and even have a Jack-o-lantern tattooed on my inner arm haha. 

Least favorite would have to be New Years because of the damn fire works. With my dogs I can only tolerate them once a year in July. 
  • KFrobKFrob member
    My favorite is Christmas.  I love winter and snow and the warm fuzzy feeling.  

I agree with @marionberry19 that NYE is the worst, but my reasoning is that everyone makes such a big deal about it and it’s always a let down. Runner up is Easter like @pinkkillersheep. I just associate it with mud and being dragged to church in an uncomfortable outfit. 
  • I love Halloweeeeeeeen! So much so that we got married on Halloween. 
    Least favorite is Fourth of July. It’s hot and gross. I’m a July baby but at the end of July so I always hated that all the decorations for my birthday month had nothing to do with most of the month. 
  • Favorite: probably Christmas or Easter because I like all the activities that go with them.  I'm not really religious but I like Easter for the egg hunt, baskets, and excuse to celebrate spring.  Christmas is fun with tons of activities, crafts, and baking leading up to it.

Least favorite: Thanksgiving or NYE.  Thanksgiving is just tons of food and another weekend we have to travel to visit family in a hectic time of year already.  NYE seems like it should be exciting but it just feels like pressure to stay up late.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • What is your favorite holiday to celebrate? Favorite is Halloween. I love dressing up and the festivals.

What is your least favorite holiday to celebrate? I hate thanksgiving. I rarely celebrate it. I don't really like the idea of stuffing your face to celebrate being thankful. We have spent the last couple thanksgivings doing volunteer work instead. Its made me actually like thanksgiving a little better that way.
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited March 2022
    @bww_0331 I used to feel the same way about holidays in general. Having kids and then Covid changed our thinking. We’ve started to do some holidays at our house bc it’s just too much to drag the kids all over to various houses.  We’ve also started to break them up, like Thanksgiving with the IL on the holiday and with my family on that Saturday following. Just bc we don’t see everyone on the actual holiday doesn’t mean we cant still celebrate it.  It’s relieved so much stress. I loved Covid lock down days where we just celebrated with the kids at home.