1st Trimester

I did something wrong and I am so scared :/

Hello. I am new here. I am 8 weeks pregnant and I'm in trouble with my stuffy nose. Since Friday I was using Vick Inhaler 4-5 times in a day. And last night I woke up and couldn't breathe. So I put a little vick vaporub into my nose. then my nose opened up and I sneezed and it started to run. I fell asleep afterwards and felt a runny nose running down my throat. Now I read it is forbidden to put it into nose. I am so worried. Today I felt nothing as a pregnancy symptom. No sickness, sleepiness, back hurt or etc. Did you think I did something to my baby. I was so scared that now my blood pressure is high. Pleeaaseee Help :/

Re: I did something wrong and I am so scared :/

• I am also 8 weeks along and can totally sympathize. I had a miscarriage for my first pregnancy so now any little cramp or spasm in my abdomen makes my freak out. First of all….take a deep breath. Although I can not absolutely guarantee it, I think things will be fine. You are most likely focusing too much on what you are “not feeling” and overthinking. Vicks is in general is safe and although I know it is not recommended directly in the nose, but since it was only once, it is probably fine. The toxic effects are usually from prolonged usage. I hope that makes you feel a bit better. Hang in there
  • ^WSS

There are very few things when exposed to as a 1 time thing is going to do anything to baby.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Loading the player...
  • Just don't do it again.  Baby is fine, you will be fine.  Its not like you have been doing it continually. 
  • thank you so much. I also had a miscarriage in my first pregnancy and I was able to get pregnant again exactly a year later.That's why I'm terrified that anything I do will be wrong. Unfortunately I am overthinking so much :/ This makes me very tired and sad. Also, I already have a blood pressure problem. Knowing that I am not really alone and these answers gave me a lot of relief.I hope we all have healthy and comfortable pregnancies and get our babies.thank you so much :blush:
  • @siegrant take it a day at a time. You are pregnant today and that's what matters.

Remember that it's all about minimizing risks. Even in perfect pregnancies where you avoid all the bad things (products and food) there is still a chance of birth defects. FWIW I've had a few of the "bad" foods like a sandwich with cold cuts, but baby is still fine and kicking (I'm almost 24 weeks). I did have a slight panic about realizing my face wash has salicylic acid as an ingredient halfway down the list but my OB said it was fine since it's a product that is washed off your face within a minute so the skin likely isn't absorbing much considering how low it was on the list.

You may really benefit from reading the book Expecting Better by Emily Oster. She goes into a lot of the data for why pregnant women are recommended to avoid certain foods, products, and activities and why those recommendations are what they are and whether or not they are truly worth avoiding.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause