November 2022 Moms

Product Spotlight: Pregnancy Books & Apps

The product spotlight is a chance for us to highlight a different area or item of pregnancy every week and get suggestions and reviews from others.

This week’s topic is Pregnancy Books & Apps. Which ones do you recommend and why? Any that you didn’t find helpful and why? Any that you are thinking about reading/using this time? Questions?

Re: Product Spotlight: Pregnancy Books & Apps

• There's this web site with a discussion board I've been using, not sure if y'all have heard of it, it is called The Bump ;)

Last time around I found Expecting Better by Emily Oster very reassuring. I'm a little on the fence about the rest of her books, because she's an economist who is trying to give public health takes, particularly around the COVID risk in children, but if you can borrow it from your local library it is a good resource. The only other book I read was Heading Home with your Newborn, which isn't a pregnancy book but was matter of fact and helpful, recommended by a friend who is a family physician.
  • I love Sprout Pregnancy, especially for FTM where you get to track growth and learn all about the different stages week by week and they show cool pictures and interactives for baby at each stage!

After baby is born, a lot of people swear by The Wonder Weeks app/book. I was thoroughly absorbed in it as a FTM and you may be too. It seems pretty legit and developmentally accurate, but the bottom line is basically that your child is always in or entering in to a “leap”. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @sunshine2417 The wonder weeks was always our go to reason for why dd was always behaving intensely. It did make us feel better as parents even though it was a tough time.  Yes, she might have been going through a "leap," but she also is a very high energy and verbal child.  Now, that I have ds and after hanging with my sister's kids I realize that some children do sleep, follow directions, and do not run away in public.  I love dd obvs. but she is definitely unique.

My favorite book is Sweet Sleep by La Leche League.  I am not endorsing co-sleeping in any way, but it was a very helpful book in putting my mind at ease to understand risk and make the best decision for my family. 

Birthing from Within is a beautiful book/practice that can help prepare for childbirth. 

The birth center where I go has a little library and I think what was very useful was reading books with pictures of childbirth. It helped prepare me mentally. 

Right now I am using the Ovia pregnancy app, but honestly it is not that great...I think I would do best with a more intuitive or "spiritual" pregnancy journey app. Does anyone know of one?