October 2022 Moms

Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back.

Feel free to use these prompts as a guide: 

For S+TMs:
  • Favorite maternity clothes/websites/stores:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about the clothing/stores:
  • What you don't like about them, if anything:
  • Additional thoughts:

For FTMs:
  • Maternity clothes you're interested in:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

Re: Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes

• Anyone know where I can find maternity dress pants and jeans that come in talls? Thanks!
  • I have a bunch of spring/summer weddings - any recommendations for affordable maternity evening dresses are very welcome :)
  • Loading the player...
  • @sandy5693 I'm open to wedding suggestions too! I have at least one in the summer, and was thinking of just buying something cheap from Shein. It's fast fashion, but they actually have a TON of maternity stuff, including formal options, and if I can get away with only spending $20 on an outfit, I'll do it.
  • ctsactsa member
    @sandy5693 & @merostomata
    One of my bridesmaids was 8 months pregnant at my wedding and looked stunning! Def for a more formal look though. I wouldn’t doubt that Shein would have something great and cheap too!
    https://www.azazie.com/search?q=Maternity

FTM: What I’m struggling with is bras. These boobs feel so sore and already poppin out my wireless bras on the daily. I’m already large chested and can’t fathom how large they are going to get 😬. Any brand recommendations?

• @ctsa I really like bras by Bravado and Knix. If you're in the States I think Thinx does similar bras to Knix if they won't ship to you. Bravado does my favourite nursing bras hands down.

@sandy5693 @merostomata I bought a modal maxi dress in navy from Pink Blush for my first that could definitely be accessorized up for a wedding look. I actually used it as my coming home outfit because it is so soft and cozy and I had zero interest in pants. A little pricier, but I found it to be worth it both pre- and postpartum. For some reason I'm having trouble linking the url, but if you go to Pink Blush Maternity you can search 'draped maternity/nursing maxi dress'
  • @merostomata Great idea!  I didn't realize Shein had maternity wear.

@ctsa Thank you!  They look like they have a huge selection - so many colors :)

@krthouse I've heard great things about Pink Blush.  So glad to hear more good things.  I would love to purchase one I can wear postpartum too.
  • For work and dressier events there are a ton of high quality, great options on Seraphine. The price point is a bit higher, but they also have sales all the time (including 20% off dresses right now — code is DRESS20)

https://www.seraphine.com/en-us/
  • I bought a wedding fancy dress and my baby shower dress both from Amazon in 2020 and they were awesome! Definitely going to reuse them this time around. 

For everyday stuff I LOVED Motherhood clothes. They make these stretchy shorts that I wore around the house all summer long. I have like 3 pairs. Sign up for emails and wait for a good sale, which they have fairly often
  • I received some maternity clothes from friends last time and basically just wore those even though they weren’t totally my taste. I’m going to buy myself new stuff this time. I’d recommend only buying a couple of things at first to see what you like. For example in normal clothes I prefer loose/flowy, but it turned out in maternity clothes I felt better about shirts that were more fitted across the belly. I know there is a lot of debate about full panel/side panel pants as well. I think it probably varies by body type/how your body changes during pregnancy. 
  • Just a PSA, Motherhood Maternity is having an 80% off of clearance for 2 days :) most items in the $5-15 range
  • Just a PSA, Motherhood Maternity is having an 80% off of clearance for 2 days :) most items in the $5-15 range
    I picked up 4 bras, a sweater, pants and a shirt for like $80. Everything else I got second hand on ThredUp! Most are new with tags for cheaper. Think I’m done haha
  • My order from Shein just arrived and, while the colours are all slightly different than pictured, everything looks and fits as I'd hoped. 
  • I just pulled out my box of maternity clothes and I have more than I remembered! I have 2 of these and they were my favorite shirts last time, I am excited they still sell them.

https://www.target.com/p/short-sleeve-v-neck-side-shirred-maternity-t-shirt-isabel-maternity-by-ingrid-38-isabel-8482-black-xl/-/A-83820118
  • ASOS has really cute maternity stuff. I've bought a lot from Amazon and old navy. I've gotten a few things from pinkbkush during sales. If I'm going to spend extra money it's got to be one something that works post partum as well.
  • Any advice on clothes for this awkward stage where the belly isn’t big enough for maternity pants but none of your regular pants fit?  I’m a big jeans person but I hate to waste money on bigger jeans that won’t fit in another month.  But I don’t think my stomach (10 weeks) is big enough for maternity pants yet.  I have to work at an office so I can’t wear sweats and yoga pants all the time, it’s more business casual.
  • @magic_lentil it is an awkward time! When I worked in the office with my first I relied on stuff with stretch— I had these work pants that looked fancy, but were basically just black, loose yoga pants with pockets. Also pencil skirts or dresses usually work. Some people like the belly band things but I wasn’t that into them. 

You could also just try out maternity pants and see? If they have a panel they might work even now.
  • bows22bows22 member
    edited March 2022
    @magic_lentil I live in these, since they are pull on/elastic waist they are more forgiving! 

Signature by Levi Strauss & Co. Gold Label Women's Totally Shaping Pull-on Skinny Jeans https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077R9JD1V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_B01Z7K26CMBME00KEBJZ?psc=1
  • @bows22 i have those also! I'm a fan. I sized up because I know my belly will be huge soon.
  • @magic_lentil. I typically avoid pants unless I have to. Old navy has low panel pixie pants that might work. I typically wear dresses. I know not everyone likes them. I love a tank dress. It's so easy to throw on with some sandals and a jean jacket and just be done. I'm thrilled that the majority of this pregnancy will be spring/summer because I'm very prepared for it from my first two babies. 
  • bows22 said:
    @magic_lentil I live in these, since they are pull on/elastic waist they are more forgiving! 

Signature by Levi Strauss & Co. Gold Label Women's Totally Shaping Pull-on Skinny Jeans https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077R9JD1V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_B01Z7K26CMBME00KEBJZ?psc=1
    My MIL found these for me and I usually am not a jeans person, but I have even worn them for work. They look nice! 
    I have calves like a clydesdale, so two sizes up works for me for now, and three sizes up should carry me to the point of actual maternity clothes AND the period after.
    I love that they FEEL really nice but don’t break the bank!
  • I actually just found a lot cute items on ThredUp! Money is tight right now and we are trying to save all we can for the baby. I was having a hard time stomaching coughing up money for clothes I am going to wear for a few months, especially new clothes for work! ThredUp had a lot of cute and affordable options. https://www.thredup.com/maternity?department_tags=maternity&sizing_id=559%2C10829%2C10832%2C10841%2C10926%2C20812%2C20822%2C20829%2C20832%2C20841%2C20926&include_maternity=true
  • Thank you all!  I’ll give those Levi’s a try!  It’s weird, I’ve only gained a few pounds but I feel like my clothes feel tighter everywhere, waist, butt, even calves, definitely boobs lol.  Im definitely an all pants kind of person which is fine when you stay the same size but is very unforgiving of even a few pounds of gain!  
  • bows22bows22 member
    Can anyone recommend good compression stockings where the feet are open? My OB recommended I wear them for a flight but I’d like to still be able to wear flip flops.