Baby Names

discouraged about choices

hey!
does any other mother-to-be constantly get discouraged by others when sharing name ideas? i definitely don’t feel like my names are a huge stretch by any means, but i definitely feel like picking names is less fun than it should be.

Re: discouraged about choices

• It can be a lot of pressure to name a human. If you feel like the people you are sharing with are being judgy then it leaves you with 2 conclusions: either your names are more out there than you thought, or they are judge mental people that don’t deserve to know your child’s name in advance. We really only shared our names when we were very certain we had made a decision because I didn’t want to be talked out of them, but we also chose pretty classic names.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • We shared the name we picked for our daughter before she was born. We got some pushback. My mom hated it, I told her it was none of her business, especially since she went ahead and named me something unusual. I also told her that we will now always know that she hates our daughters name and she can never take that back. She tried to backpedal.
    My husband’s grandma was another one who strongly opposed her name. We were intending to give our daughter her (grandma in law) name as a middle name.
    Then the kid came out. Looked nothing like the name we picked. My husband pulled a name out of thin air and we both just new it was her name. We booted out grandma in law as the middle name and her middle name is now the name we intended to name her.
    So now that we are pregnant with baby number two we’ve kept our name choices to ourselves. We have two names we’ve totally fallen in love with and we will see what suits him when he’s born. And who knows, maybe he’ll name himself like his sister did!
  • Loading the player...
  • Just keep your name choices between you and your husband! No one needs to know the child’s name in advance
  • Just keep you name choices to yourself then.  

We went in w/ 4 names.  Of them only one actually felt right and fitted her.  I know a coworker who was dead set on naming her kid a certain name.  Baby shower that name was all over, etc.  After baby was born, they introduced baby as something completely different! They decided the original name did not even fit him.