October 2022 Moms
Options

Insomnia Party

Hello all! I know many of us are struggling to sleep through the night (and that’s not likely to change any time soon) so I thought it might be fun to share quiet activities that make being awake at 3am less miserable. Books/audiobooks/podcasts you love, favorite websites full of information we might appreciate, meditation apps, deep breathing exercises, live cams of cute animals or beautiful places, games to play on our phones, favorite artists to check out, activity books/coloring books, and on and on. Personally it’d be great to have a few things lined up that I can look forward to rather than just being pissed I’m awake. Again. 🤣

Re: Insomnia Party

• Options
    I love loading up my kobo with good books, because it has a backlight so I can read in the dark with it. This was a lifesaver to help me in my journey with PPA with my first. You just need to make sure that if it's for those late night feeds that you've got some page turners so you don't fall asleep on baby  :D
  • Options
    If you like scandals, The Dropout was a highly entertaining podcast. So was Bad Blood: The Final Chapter. Both are about the rise and fall of Elizabeth Holmes. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Quick podcast that always helps me sleep and is also just interesting: Lore 
  • Options
    these are so great! Love podcasts. And my mom just gave me her old kindle. Didn’t think about using that in the middle of the night as entertainment but makes sense with its internal light. I’ve been listening to Harry Potter lol. Takes me back to childhood and it’s no big deal if I fall asleep while listening because I’ve read/listened to it before…. a bunch. Also like tracks to relax on Spotify. I used to listen to them when I was high, but I suppose they would work sober too. 😂
  • Options
    Just did today's wordle, quordle, and octordle because it's after midnight... must sleep...
  • Options
    @salemhall I totally followed the whole Elizabeth Holmes saga! Found it absolutely fascinating. 
  • Options
    Levar Burton Reads is a great podcast. He has such a great voice for reading and he picks stories from really diverse authors!
  • Options
    I've been watching CSI:NY and reading as many books as I can. I have a super sized to be read pile and am always finding more. 
  • Options
    Rewatching Avatar:the last airbender and all I want to do is sleep. 😭
  • Options
    I am so uncomfortable because I did too much yesterday while standing up, basically was bent over a little for a good long while. Gave up and went to the couch. Of course it’s on a day when we’re both getting up early to go work on the plane.
  • Options
    tracey718tracey718 Just Joined
    Many times I can’t sleep, however I have been finding some relief by turning off the lights, and staying off my phone. The distractions fuel the insomnia. I want no entertainments at night. 😑
  • Options
    I get frustrated when I'm just laying there and can't sleep. I would rather get up and do something rather than just tossing and turning (painfully).
  • Options
    There was some crazy rain in st Louis last night, so my phone had a flash flood warning on it. It was the emergency alert where the phone friggin talks to you and plays the alarm sound  :'( it scares the crap out of me and woke me up at 3 am. So I proceeded to stare at the dark, wide awake, until about 530. Then the alarm went off at 630. This insomnia is no fun. 
  • Options
    @stephers_ I'm from STL and my friends sent me pictures of flooding on their street. It's crazy. I live near Chicago now and we had the same thing and a tornado warning in the middle of the night. The storm was so crazy it woke everyone up. 
  • Options
    @krysnicole1022 it is CRAZY! The forest park Metrolink station was almost fully submerged. The west metro area got hit wayyy worse than the city area (west of the river, St Charles county) and the flood planes there have trapped a lot of folks. 
  • Options
    @stephers_ my best friend just sent me news footage of the other end of her street. It's so crazy!! I didn't realize you guys were getting that much rain 
  • Options
    bows22bows22 member
    I haven’t had trouble sleeping really until last night, I was wide awake from 2-4. Tonight DD randomly woke up at 11 as I was heading to bed and just fell back asleep about 15 minutes ago so hopefully going to bed late will help me to sleep all night, ugh
  • Options
    bows22bows22 member
    How do you guys control your pregnancy rage when you’re not getting much sleep? Or is it just me that is annoyed by every little thing on a good day? I’m luckily going to a clients office today where I am friends with the CFO and can be myself or else I would have a very hard time putting on a happy face haha. 
  • Options
    Uffda. I’ve been up for almost a week at 1am-4:45. I’m a zombie. And limited caffeine is killing me. How do you cope? 
  • Options
    What is this "control" you speak of???
  • Options
    I feel like I would die for a nap at any point during the day but here it is 1am and I’m still awake, restless legs and can’t sleep.  So frustrating when I know how exhausted and brainless I will be trying to make my way through the work day tomorrow.  The past two nights I had no restless legs but instead had back pain while trying to sleep.  So frustrating!
  • Options
    I cannot fall asleep until 1am at the earliest but usually around 2am. I wake up by 7 at the latest because I have to pee so I'm averaging about 5 hours of sleep a night. My five year old starts school tomorrow. We haven't had to deal with school drop off or pick ups in years so this should be an interesting routine to get into. 
  • Options
    magic_lentilmagic_lentil member
    edited August 2022
    I am the same, around 5ish hours of sleep a night but even that broken into pieces.  I’ve been going to sleep at around 11, wake up at 1:30am, awake until sometime between 3 and 5, alarm goes off at 7.  Last night my body was mixing it up by keeping me up until 1:30 then I woke up at 5:45 and was ready to go back to sleep at 7 (but could not, because work).  It feels cruel and unusual for our bodies to do this to us when we need the rest more than ever right now.
  • Options
    Joining the insomnia "party"!! Seems like I'm getting to bed later and later. And then waking up to pee is annoying, like let me sleeeep. I used to get up like 5:45 to go to the gym but now I ignore my alarm and sleep bc that's when I can get sleep! I accidentally slept in the otherday too, my husband had to get me up bc he was leaving for work. 

I feel for y'all tho, I can usually work in a lunchtime nap since I WFH. Idk how I'd get thru a workday otherwise, I'd be brain dead.

Time to turn on the audio book real low and close my eyes. 
  • Options
    The insomnia last night was possibly the worst it's been. I was already going to bed late from trying to catch up on school work and I could not fall asleep. I tried stretches, had tums, went pee 50 billion times, I listened to my hypnobirthing sleep track which normally knocks me right out. I was just so restless and uncomfortable!.
  • Options
    Ok, something that has worked for me the last two nights that I want to share in case it helps anyone else.  I’ve gone to bed at around 11 and then wake up at 2:30-2:45.  After going to the bathroom, instead of trying to go back to bed, I’ve run myself a bath with Epsom salts, which I soak in for a good 30-45 minutes or so.  Then I get out, have a drink of water, slather my legs with magnesium lotion (restless legs) and get back in bed.  I’m on my phone for a bit and by 3:45 or so I’m back asleep and have slept until my alarm goes off at 7. It’s not a huge amount of sleep but at least I’m deeply asleep during the sleep times, not tossing and turning.  So far this is working better than trying to just “be up” and read or watch TV or whatever.  
  • Options
    Pay attention to when and what you eat for dinner, trying to avoid anything that causes unpleasant symptoms, such as heartburn, which can be a big problem in the third trimester. Develop a consistent bedtime routine and sleep schedule. Determine a time to go to bed and a time to get up and try to start unwinding at least an hour before bed. Turn-off all devices (including the television) 30-45 minutes before bed. Blue screen light can prevent you from falling asleep.
    How to avoid mastitis