May 2022 Moms
Options

U/O Thursday 3/3

Re: U/O Thursday 3/3

• Options
    Peeps are an abomination 🤢 actually IMO marshmallows serve no purpose outside of s’mores. 
  • Options
    sph97sph97 member
    @b_1029 I agree- I’ve never understood how people eat peeps 🤢

An u/o “mom” opinion that I didn’t realize was so controversial until I got pregnant is no pacis for our LO. It surprised me how triggered some people get when I mention we aren’t using pacis 😅

General u/o I don’t like takis. Just give me regular hot chips/hot fries I don’t need lime flavored hot chips they are so weird to me 🙈

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @sph97 I just don't understand why anyone would care if you don't use a paci?? 😂 Do they tell you "oh just you wait, you'll need one!" 🙄

Personally I'm definitely on team paci, but I don't feel even remotely triggered by your opinion lol. 
  • Options
    sph97sph97 member
    @pajamstagrams that's exactly what they say, or something like "don't be mean and let that baby have a pat-pat!" 
    I just say "oh, I guess we'll see" and go on about my life lol. My family hasn't ever really used paci's, I didn't my nieces didn't and we haven't had any thumb sucking problems really. So I just would rather not introduce one while breast feeding, thus comes the "well you'll just be his paci" comments lol. It doesn't matter to me if people use one, so I was surprised when people cared that we didn't want to lol!
  • Options
    @sph97 I was team no paci before DD was born and my MIL didn’t understand. She’d give her one while i wasn’t around and then I just gave up lol. FWIW I don’t think it caused nipple confusion but it’s really weird how people care / don’t understand your wishes. 
  • Options
    jackdetroitjackdetroit member
    edited March 2022
    @sph97 We've never used a pacifier with any of our kids and people do think it's crazy. My favorite line is when people say, "you're letting her use you as a pacifier"... uh a pacifier is a replacement for a breast, not the other way around. Also bonus - we never had to take away the paci!
    Married 11.12.11
    JB 08.02.13 
    EC 12.11.15
    GE 04.04.19
    #4 & #5 due 05.05.22
  • Options
    sph97sph97 member
    b_1029 said:
    @sph97 I was team no paci before DD was born and my MIL didn’t understand. She’d give her one while i wasn’t around and then I just gave up lol. FWIW I don’t think it caused nipple confusion but it’s really weird how people care / don’t understand your wishes. 
    I don't *think* my MIL would do that, FX at least. I hate that your family didn't respect your wishes! It really is aggravating. I think people care so much because it not what they did, if that makes sense?
  • Options
    @sph97 yea in my experience, it’s the moms (like, our moms) that have issues with everything because they did things differently. My FIL and dad do what we want, but my MIL and mom just do what they want and ignore our wishes. It’s really frustrating. 
  • Options
    sph97sph97 member
    @sph97 We've never used a pacifier with any of our kids and people do think it's crazy. My favorite line is when people say, "you're letting her use you as a pacifier"... uh a pacifier is a replacement for a breast, not the other way around. Also bonus - we never had to take away the paci!
    Exactly! I also hear those comments too, and if he does so be it I guess lol. I'll figure it out as I go along!
  • Options
    All I can say is it took 3 years to get DD2 off the paci and now she has a speech delay so you do you on the paci’s 😂 we’ve offered them to all our kids but DD2 was really the only one who took to them. 

My UO: Huggies diapers smell worse than newborn poop. Fight me on this one. 
  • Options
    sph97sph97 member
    @b_1029 I have noticed its more the "moms," even my Grandma tries to tell me what I should be doing and etc. I'm just patiently waiting for when I will have to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with everybody lol.
  • Options
    @skc040512 what?!? Ok, I'll fight you 😂 the Huggies we got from the hospital had no smell to them at all! But the Pampers our daycare uses smell like rancid baby powder/perfume and holy shit is it horrific. (Swaddlers maybe? Idk, I'm super sensitive to fragrance). I suffered through that just because it saved us so much money not having to send in diapers for DD. 
  • Options
    @pajamstagrams hahaha that’s exactly how I feel about the huggies! I will say, the newborn ones we get from the hospital don’t have the same smell (maybe they use the natural ones?? I don’t remember) but my MIL always gives us huggies and I can’t even go near the box 😂😂
  • Options
    Ahhhh I can’t remember which ones I thought smelled horrible when DD was a newborn. We use Huggies for her now so it must’ve been pampers? I guess we’ll see 😬 but one of them smelled absolutely rancid, like straight chemicals, when they were wet. 
  • Options
    b_1029 said:
    Peeps are an abomination 🤢 actually IMO marshmallows serve no purpose outside of s’mores. 
    Omg YES. 🤢🤢🤢 So is licorice. 

• Options
    I am team peeps all the way! I used to hate them as a kid, ever since college, I started loving them. 

I do absolutely hate licorice though @MrsLaLaBug. It's disgusting 🤢
  • Options
    Love liquorice (but can’t spell it apparently…)

Agree that some diapers reek, but don’t remember which ones. That’s why we use cloth :)

We’re team “do what you want”. I remember my sister not doing pacifiers and it blew my mind because I was like 20 and just thought all babies needed a pacifier?? Nope. Our DD1 took it. And it was great. We didn’t let her have it just hanging out. It was to soothe and for sleeping only. We took it away at a year, cold turkey, with 0 issues after she got a couple ear infections and I read that a paci at night can cause them. The ear infections went away. Coincidence? Dunno. Don’t care. DD2 was a crier. We TRIED to get her to take a pacifier. But she wouldn’t have ANY of it. Didn’t suck anything. Didn’t want to be soothed. Just wanted to cry. Wouldn’t take a pinky finger, her own thumb, nothing. I think the babies choose more than the parents.

Also find the boomers the most irritating when it comes to advice, opinions and completely disregarding your choices. I think they take offence. Like “if I did it this way and you don’t want to, then you must think I did it wrong and I need to prove to you that my way works too”. That’s my mom anyway. She is totally unsupportive of breastfeeding, cloth diapering, using a bottle past age 1, white noise, etc. because she didn’t do those things (except cloth diapering. She did cloth diapers, but I think she hated it because she’s still totally against them).

• Options
    @skc040512 oh man idk what huggies has done to their diapers! They used to be my favorite and and now we can't use the snug and dry they smell like straight chemicals when my kids pee. I swear I though my middle girl had a uti before I realized it was the diaper and not her. 🤢
    Me = 28
    DH = 29
    Multiple loss mama
    Rylie: Born 04.2014
    Haley: Born 07.2017
    Emily: Born 08.2019

• Options
    @annashaf Shout it from the rooftops, this is WISDOM— “the baby chooses more than the parents”. Sosossooooooo true. We all have intentions and things we try… but the disposition of baby really is what decides!
  • Options
    Now I'm curious about the smell of diapers lol I had no idea!

@karisahamdi I'm the opposite! Hate peeps, love licorice!
    My stepdad bought peeps for us all the time growing up, cannot stand them now. And my favorite holiday cookie is pfeffernusse, it has a lot of anise (licorice flavor) so good!
  • Options
    (Possible)UO: Babies don’t need screens. 

Why is there even a kids section of YouTube??? I was at the OB today for my one hour glucose test and a baby (maybe 6 months?) was watching some god-awful show on her tablet. Her. Own. Tablet. Connected. To. The. Car seat. She wasn’t fussy or anything. Like it wasn’t soothing her from what I could tell, it was just on. Her mama was on her phone most of the time they waited but did talk to the baby some. 

To be fair, I have not raised a child. But I will. And I’ll do it without YouTube. 
  • Options
    @taylorharris0522 we don’t give DD screentime constantly, and definitely not in public (except she did watch a movie while we were flying), but she does watch some stuff especially to distract her in the mornings when I’m trying to do her hair or something. Or we will all snuggle together on a Saturday morning on the couch and watch a Disney movie. I wouldn’t say we are “raising” her with YouTube though. 
  • Options
    sph97sph97 member
    @taylorharris0522 I agree! DH and I have actually had this conversation several times and we’re worried because his sister does tons of screen time for her now 2y/o, and cousin (1y/o) will only eat with a tablet. Both babies HAVE to have a screen in the car and when we mention no screens we get the “just wait and see” comments but we really want to be stern on this! I basically helped raise 4 of his cousins (long story I may share one day) and I literally never gave them my phone, had one from diapers and one from age one and we just didn’t use screens and I they didn’t know the difference because they never had them to begin with!
  • Options
    @taylorharris0522 we kept DD1 screen free until she was about 2 and it was amazing. I will say it’s a lot harder to keep later kids from screens that long. (DD1 was 20 months when DD2 was born, and DD2 ignored it /wasn’t in the room for screen time for a long time, but did get introduced to screens around 9 months). I’ll also say, I’ve noticed there’s a huge difference between types of screen time. My kids can watch tv and turn it off with no problem, but I swear tablets turn them into little demons. We *do* have tablets that we got when our oldest were 4 and 3, but they are specifically only used for long trips. I think there are ways to do screen time, and each kid is different, but overall, I think it’s a waste. (That being said, my kids had a tonnnnn of screen time during my first trimester so I’m not one to judge lol)
  • Options
    @sph97 we kept DD pretty screen limited until she was like 1-1.5, so yeah, I agree, I don't think babies need screen time. We do have pretty firm rules around screentime though, and we're definitely not getting her an ipad or kindle to watch stuff on. Personally we're not fans of screentime at the table so I never feel the need to have it for entertainment at a restaurant, for example. (We bring coloring stuff instead). 

That being said, on weekends, screen time is almost always open at 11:30 am and 5 pm. Cause mama needs a break! 😂 I just prefer to have it on a predictable schedule so DD knows when to expect it. 
  • Options
    sph97sph97 member
    @pajamstagrams I definitively did T.V. (Disney+, Netflix kids) which honestly it was 99% paw patrol of Coco Melon lol. (for almost a straight year it was trolls so I was excited for change!) & if we had a long car ride we did use screens, because its hard to occupy a toddler in the car for several hours. I just see my neice and cousin on one allllll the time and they have a melt-down if they don't have it at the table or when they get "bored" I guess. My SIL has started to limit it because its gotten where her daughter wants her phone all the time, but its been a battle with the in-laws because they'll just give her theirs when she says no and thats where me and my DH worry and is gonna have to put our foot down. My MIL would prop up her phone at 6m old for her to watch, it drove me crazy lol. So I'm actually kind of dreading sitting don and having that conversation because we are gonna have to be stern and serious or she'll just blow it off like I'm being a crazy FTM.

HOWEVER, I don't think its ALL bad. I just think its over-done sometimes. It does help when your busy, the kid basically had control over my TV but it helped me tend to the LO and clean house, cook, whatever. Y'all are moms, you know- life stuff lol! But working at a school too you just see so much, and you can tell when students are use to the "instant gratification" if that makes sense? 
  • Options
    @sph97 yeah, exactly. I use TV as a tool (so I can sit down, so chores, cook, etc) 99% of the time. And having it predictably available really helps DD not get too upset when it's time to turn it off. Having boundaries around TV really helps. 

But also, DD definitely watches more TV than I originally, naively thought she would. And I'm 100% ok with that. Plans change!!