May 2022 Moms

Symptoms - March

Re: Symptoms - March

• MrsLaLaBugMrsLaLaBug member
    edited March 2022
    Obviously since I’m up at 4:45 in the morning being a post whore and have been awake since 2:30… I guess the insomnia is back. But I think it’s more due to discomfort now than anything else. Yay 3rd tri. 
    ETA: words 

• The insomnia is back for me too :( 28 weeks this past Saturday. It’s been a few nights now of terrible sleep when I’m typically an awesome sleeper 😭 not fair. Doesn’t help that I have to pee four-five times a night. 
  • Loading the player...
  • sph97sph97 member
    Also team #nosleep. I’ve been tossing and turning since 1:30, but I try to make myself “rest my eyes” even though I’ve literally just laid here until my alarm went off. 🙃
  • Ughh insomnia has been the worst. Last night was the first time I *didn’t* wake up at 4 ready to start the day lol. Still got up to pee a bunch though 🙄
  • Add me to the no sleep roster. No matter what I do, my hips just kill me at night! If it’s not my hips, it’s my dry mouth and as a result, my bladder 😩
  • Add me to the insomnia club! Woke up around 2:00, finally just got up for the day close to 4:00.  Of course, now I’m ready for a nap but my work day has started. 😩
  • Team no sleep here too. I try to stay off my phone and go back to sleep but it really doesn’t work.
  • ok don't hate me but....I'm surprisingly sleeping really well! I'm having issues falling asleep, but I'm only waking up once to pee and usually can fall back asleep within half an hour (the kicks get really aggressive and keep me up). But I usually wake up in pain (headaches, backaches, SPD, etc) so I guess that's the trade off.

I've probably jinxed myself by saying that now lol. It was so bad for me with DD, I was tossing and turning every hour with her. I do expect it to get worse in the coming weeks though.
  • Really get my lungs crowded over here. Every time I bend over or lay down too fast I lose my breath thanks to LO crushing my lungs 😭
  • I vacuumed, mopped, and waxed my floors today. And now my hips and my pelvis are about to disintegrate. 

• @MrsLaLaBug thinking of doing all of that gave me sympathy pain 😆 I’ve needed to vacuum / mop for so long but instead I’m just watching all the dog hair and dirt accumulate…
  • @b_1029 literally only happened bc I’m forced to. 😂😂😂 Maid and photographers are coming for the listing pics for our home this weekend so we HAVE to finish up some sprucing up touches here and there. Otherwise I’d be watching all the dog hair and muddy paw prints too and just cussing about it like that will make it go away. 😂

• @MrsLaLaBug I can’t handle the muddy dog prints and our floors are dark so you see them so well… but they seem invisible to my husband 🤔 I mopped the other day and I swear my pelvis was going to shatter. Can’t mop unless I get a couple breaks. How pathetic lol 😂😣
  • @jc0820 Same with the dog prints. Our floors aren’t dark, but we have typical red Georgia clay in some areas of our back yard. So it still stands out. DH actually does notice and we typically share the work to keep them clean but lately it’s been falling on him more and more, so then I jump in and try to do it all while he’s at work and he comes home to a half clean house with me passed out with a heating pad on my back. 

@karisahamdi I feel you! It’s like you can never quite get a good breath. And I’m always hot, too. So in one way or another I always look like I just ran a mile or two. And don’t even bring up actually running! I saw in another post you run. I love running but this pregnancy has floored me for the last two months with back pain. It’s getting better so I’m hoping to get back to the gym with DH this weekend. 
  • Has anyone had to have an iron or blood transfusion in pregnancy due to anemia? One of my OBs was looking at my chart today and commented on my iron levels (I got classified as anemic around 26 weeks. All the supplements I’ve tried have made me super sick, including the ones that are slow release and supposed to not make you feel as bad). OB mentioned they were going to need to do another blood panel at 34 weeks to make sure my iron levels are coming up and if not, I’ll need either an iron or blood transfusion prior to giving birth. Kinda just looking for what to expect if that’s needed. I’ve boosted my iron intake through food naturally, added in beef liver capsules, and cook a ton with cast iron (and upped my vit c intake to help with absorption). Honestly any kind of transfusion kinda freaks me out so I’m hoping to avoid it at all costs lol
  • happynapperhappynapper member
    edited March 2022
    @skc040512 I have not received one or given one in an OB setting. I know someone here has recently mentioned maybe in the weekly check in that they have had the iron infusion? I don’t recall who though. All I have to add is that in an inpatient setting it is a pretty innocuous infusion, lasting 1-2 hours depending the dose. Vital signs are monitored before and hourly (or at the end if it’s only a 1 hr infusion). I’ve never seen an adverse reaction in any that I’ve administered. I imagine the most frustrating parts as an outpatient are scheduling and insurance related. 

Edit circling back to tag that it was @brookejay06 who had the iron infusion 

edit again to add that the blood transfusion would be a 4 hour transfusion, they are much more involved and run a risk of transfusion reaction (I have seen a few) and I would honestly 100x rather get the iron infusion as soon as they recommended it to me than to just hope to keep bringing it up by supplementing (and it sounds like you really are doing a good job of trying to make that work!) than take a chance that I might end up needing blood before delivery as well. 
  • brookejay06brookejay06 member
    edited March 2022
    @skc040512 Hey! Yes that was me. I had an iron infusion last week and another scheduled in a few days. I don’t know what an “iron transfusion” is though… so maybe your OB is recommending something different? 

The infusion was super easy. They just hook you up to an IV of iron and you sit there. (Mine was 30 min) The only downside is that it takes about a week to feel the benefits. But as far as I can tell, 8 days later, I am feeling good!! I was almost comatose, my energy was so low. I had to nap like 3 hours after waking up, even if I got 8+ hours of sleep. Now I feel like myself, just with the normal amount of pregnancy exhaustion. 

The infusion was super expensive but it all goes toward my deductible and I’ll be meeting that this year regardless. 

I would say if you’re anemic, it’s a no brainer to me. I’m not a MD but I don’t think it’s going to make you worse! 
  • sph97sph97 member
    I was coming here to rant about my exhaustion when doing nothing, but now y'all have me wondering if my iron is low? I thought I wasn't getting enough sleep, so I started taking 1/2 a unisom at night this week and it helps me fall alseep and stay asleep until usually 3/4am (besides pee breaks lol). But, I'm still sooo tired during the day. I've been chalking it up to third trimester symptoms- but maybe worth bringing up at my next appointment? I swear I could have fell asleep at lunch today. We've been testing at school this week and I have the hardest time staying awake!!
  • @sph97 did they draw any blood at your last appointment? I think it’s pretty typical to do around 28 weeks. If they haven’t it would definitely be worth asking about. 
  • sph97sph97 member
    @sph97 did they draw any blood at your last appointment? I think it’s pretty typical to do around 28 weeks. If they haven’t it would definitely be worth asking about. 
    they did for my glucose test, but I took it earlier than 28 weeks because my sugar was higher-than-normal at one of my AM appointments. Maybe 26 weeks was my last blood draw?
  • @sph97 okay if you have online access to your test results you could check if they did a complete blood count (cbc) or hemoglobin (hgb) that day. Or maybe they plan to do it at the next! Either way I think it would be good to check in to 
  • @happynapper @brookejay06 thank you, ladies! He probably did say iron infusion but 1) mask and unfamiliar terms and 2) I was making notes so I probably wasn’t actually listening closely to everything 😳😂 I typically run low on iron in general, so being pregnant I think just pushed me over the edge. Would not hate the benefits of an infusion, especially if it helps with fatigue and shortness of breath!
  • @skc040512 ahh yes I’m sorry, to clarify: iron is simply an infusion through an IV of elemental iron. The same type of product you’d find in a supplement tablet. It is not considered a blood product at all and it’s pretty straightforward. Just like we would give IV potassium or magnesium for deficiencies. We can even mix up entire multivitamin bags and give them through an IV. I’ve given those for a lot for pregnant women with HG in the first trimester who can’t keep any fluids or their prenatal vitamin down. 

Blood is obviously a blood product from another human being so it’s considered a transfusion instead of infusion, has to go through the entire cross matching process (donor blood type to your blood type, Rh +\-, antibodies). It’s obviously something very vital in many situations and there shouldn’t be a fear surrounding it, but if given the choice to try to prevent needing that the iron is going to be far less invasive!
  • @sph97 I know you’re struggling to stay asleep so if the unisom is helping then that’s great. I’ve had to do that for a lot of this pregnancy too. However- I notice that I have some extra tiredness the day after taking unisom. So that could also be contributing to your exhaustion. I feel so much better during the day when I’m able to sleep without unisom (but I know sometimes it’s just necessary!!). I wonder if you could try Magnesium Calm for sleep instead? And getting som exercise and limiting caffeine helps me too. Just some ideas!!
  • I had really low iron in my previous pregnancy and was able to supplement so I was only *borderline* anemic by the time I delivered.  This time around I'm only *unlikely* to be anemic - progress!

I take an awesome supplement that is manufactured locally (Bob's Iron, or Iron Formula in case they ship internationally?) so that's not much help but my midwives have also recommended Blood Builder as a good one available online, very gentle. Also, how much are you supplementing?

A couple things that may be preventing absorption are taking iron anywhere near the time you consume caffeine and calcium. And as you noted, vitamin c increases absorption. 
  • sph97sph97 member
    @brookejay06 I hadn’t thought about the unisom making me drowsy during the day! I don’t really take it caffeine (just my morning coffee- no tea or sodas) so I’m assuming I’m just experiencing that “third trimester insomnia.” I have looked into magnesium supplements but I’m going to ask my OB first just in case lol. Thank you!! 
  • natkgnatkg member
    I can’t breathe. It feels like there’s a stack of bricks on me all the time. No matter what position I’m in or how much padding I have around my belly. When I walk, my belly feels sooooo heavy. And I run out of breath. When I’m standing still I feel like I’m going to fall forward or pass out. Struggling over here. That’s why you don’t have babies when you’re 41. 
  • I can not sleep. This is getting ridiculous. It’s 4:15am. I’ve been awake since like 1:30. FML

• @natkg ughhh that has been me almost every afternoon/evening for the past week or two! It’s the worst and is of course when the other kids want you to play with them. FX you feel better soon!

@MrsLaLaBug noooooo! That’s the worst! 
  • natkgnatkg member
    @skc040512 thanks. Last night I curled my pregnancy pillow into a donut and laid on top of it with my belly in the middle. It helped a little. 
  • I have had a headache for so long, I don’t even remember when it started. It’s nothing super debilitating, just always there. My BP was fine yesterday and all that, so I guess it’s just from constant sleep deprivation?
  • @b_1029 I've had a headache since yesterday afternoon..BP is normal. 🤷‍♀️ I think it's just from having *slightly* less caffeine than normal. Or from tensing up while my PT did soft tissue work on my inner thighs 😵‍💫 (omg so painful. They were so tight). Definitely mention it to your OB though at your next appointment, or maybe call if they aren't getting in better. 
  • I’ve been having anxiety about literally everything but only at night?? Idk maybe I’m just going too much during the day, and then by the end of the day, once the kids are in bed I start feeling the aches and pains and get the nightly headache and BAM anxiety about birth, the headache is actually an aneurism, what if DS’s cough is something bad, what if DH randomly loses his job? And of course this all makes my blood pressure go up so yay one more thing to worry about! Anyone else having this kind of ritualistic anxiety? I’ve never been a very anxious person so this is so weird for me and it needs to gtfo. 
  • @skc040512 👋me!  I'm hyper analyzing every symptom, and I normally have some level of anxiety and it's on another level while pregnant.
  • This kid feels so much larger than his sisters. I'm only 28.5 weeks but feel absolutely done. I waddle everywhere and definitely feel out of breath. Insomnia is raging except lately I've had a head cold so benadryl keeps knocking me out. I'm just praying he doesn't take after his daddy and come at almost 9 pounds. My biggest kid so far was 7 13  and 9 would break me. 🤣🤣
    Me = 28
    DH = 29
    Multiple loss mama
    Rylie: Born 04.2014
    Haley: Born 07.2017
    Emily: Born 08.2019

• @skc040512 I definitely find my anxiety to be heightened at nighttime. I wonder if there is a way you could force yourself to fall asleep faster like, for example, drinking a sleepy time tea, not doing any screens before bed, and listening to a meditation (I think I recall you’re a Christian? and if so, there are Christian meditations/lectio divina to really help calm you). 

The sooner you’re asleep, the less anxious you can be!
  • Here’s a fun new symptom: my teeth ache after flossing. Like what the hell. I flossed this morning and my mouth/teeth are so sore it hurts to chew. What the hell!
  • @skc040512 the anxiety has creeped up for me a lot this past week. My only advice is just focusing on the self care. I find that laying with my heating pad, playing a game on my phone, even drinking water helps (seriously!). I’m also using a lot of tv/podcasts to disassociate lately which isn’t the best but it helps!
  • I feel like this picture is me 24/7. My first pregnancy did not move this much, or at least it wasn’t this uncomfortable. I feel like this little boy is always trying to break out. Settle down kid, you’re not done cooking!!
  • I have been having ridiculously bad hot flashes. The Dr. just said “sorry, that’s pregnancy” but I feel like there HAS to be a way to manage them. I’ve been very careful to stay hydrated and stay cool (easy enough with this cold front rn) but I still get them nearly every day. And it’s not like a little hot feeling for a minute. I break out into a heavy sweat, get super nauseous, and can’t cool down even outside or in a cold shower. And they last about an hour to an hour and a half!

Have y’all had hot flashes? What do you do to prevent them/deal with them?