October 2022 Moms

Weekly Randoms 2/21

What’s going on this week?

Re: Weekly Randoms 2/21

• My nausea isn't as bad this morning so I'm naturally freaking out something is wrong. I hate first tri so much. 
  • Random question for anyone with toddlers already - 

Has anyone dealt with a sudden onset of behavioral issues? My 3yo has all of a sudden started to throw these "tantrums" that come out of nowhere and consist of all the bad behavior (hitting, throwing, biting, and yelling). Nothing we do seems to stop it and we can't figure out what the triggers are. We have tried staying calm, yelling, taking away loved toys/experiences, distractions, and none of it seems to work. I have a call into the pedi for tomorrow because DH and I really need help, but was wondering if anyone had an insight to offer as well. 
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• Loading the player...
  • @bows22 I have hellos for you from mamas in my bump group for DS! Aimee (mercury94) and Erin (ejoseph16) say hello and both sing your praises!

@tessiesmom26 We're not at that age yet but I've heard the "threenager" stage is very very real. 

@runwmusic I'm with you. First trimester wasn't as bad with my first but this lil bebe is kicking my butt! 4 more weeks.

Reading week this week and I'm so glad to have my first round of big assignments in. I was struggling to find enough time when I wasn't at peak exhaustion to get them done. Also my friend is visiting from Halifax this weekend and finally meeting DS! She was supposed to visit a week after he was born but of course covid lockdowns but a big halt on that. I cannot wait to hug her whole self!!!
  • @krthouse that’s so funny. I was on TTGP for so long and made a lot of friends. I just messaged @mercury94 and she is singing your praises too haha. 
  • Random question for anyone with toddlers already - 

Has anyone dealt with a sudden onset of behavioral issues? My 3yo has all of a sudden started to throw these "tantrums" that come out of nowhere and consist of all the bad behavior (hitting, throwing, biting, and yelling). Nothing we do seems to stop it and we can't figure out what the triggers are. We have tried staying calm, yelling, taking away loved toys/experiences, distractions, and none of it seems to work. I have a call into the pedi for tomorrow because DH and I really need help, but was wondering if anyone had an insight to offer as well. 
    Three is so fun 🤪 I have a 3 & 2 year old. There’s weeks of my 3 yo being a total angel and then weeks where I’m begging for mercy! lol. But we talk about feeling A LOT and always help her label her feeling— angry, upset, frustrated, disappointed. And we just remind her feelings are ALWAYS safe, never wrong. But hurting someone is not safe or accepted. Most of the time, we see this kind of behavior  as a sign that she truly needs some 1:1 or 2:1 time with mama/dada. So we take her on a date without her sister and have a “yes” day and it helps so much. 

Other things— her diet & bowel movements play a big role in moods 🙄🙄 so she’s on a fiber gummy daily to help things. Lol

& no screen time as much as possible. Hard if you’re feeling terrible! I get it 
  • *lurking from August*

@tessiesmom26 I have a 3YO and she went thru a similar faze except add clingy and whiny and subtract the hitting and biting. My best guess is it might just be a developmental thing they go through. She eventually also went on a nap strike and then couldn’t make it up bedtime at 8. With consistently (to the best of my ability not to lose it) she’s back to herself. I also swear they can sense pregnancy bc this all coincided with me finding out I was pregnant. She’s finally back to herself but it was a few weeks of threenager hell. 
  • @tessiesmom26 the other moms gave great advice and I also found that it is a huge learning curve for 3YOs to learn what they are feeling and the correct way to express and deal with that feeling. Besides working with my twins one on one with their feelings I use learning apps a LOT to supplement homeschool namely Khan Academy kids we love it!! You can also make your own or buy some emotion pics and teach your child what face represents what feels as well as reading books and picking out emotions of the characters to help your child understand what they are feeling and how others may feel in different situations. My younger twin is a mommas boy and has more anger issues related to his OCD and it’s pretty easy to talk him through a situation and correct his behavior. An example of this is if I have asked him to do something and say my mom sees him and wants to stop him for a hug he gets upset bc he wants to first finish his “assignment” and he throws a fit if she picks him up in the middle, so I just explained to her what was going on as well as to him (Jaxsten) what was going on and that Grammy only wanted to love on him and he can use his words to tell her “mommy told me to…” then he will be able to do what he needs and give Grammy affection too and everyone will be happy.
    I can give other examples I’ve had to deal with if wanted.
    sorry for the long response 😳 I hope it was helpful.
  • @wigglyicecream hey!! Great to “see” you again! (I was on Aug 22 BMB for a couple weeks before my early loss but am back now on this board!)
  • I don’t know if it’s the weight of the ultrasound being lifted or what my deal is, but I’m exhausted today. I’m strongly considering a nap and making up the work time tonight, but know I’ll regret it later hah 
  • @EmilyE13 I remember you from the board. I’m glad to see you in a new bmb. Hoping this time is a boring happy and healthy 9 months. You have some rockstars here with you. 
  • @tessiesmom26 oh gosh, yes. My daughter turned 3 last month and has been a Challenge, let me tell you. Between her dropping her naps, me being too exhausted to play as much as usual, and who knows what, she’s been so sensitive, resistant and tantrum-y at the drop of a hat. I know it is just temporary and part of normal development, but it is really quite challenging.

I don’t have any answers, but we’re working on identifying triggers and helping her express feelings with words. Last year, whenever I’d get busy with work she’d act out, which would make me feel more guilty. I’m hoping when I feel better and can give her more attention that will help a little too.