Infertility

IVF and Covid Vaccine

Hello!
I have talked with my doctor. Just trying to understand what others have experienced and if they are willing to share. Other forums do not seem to let you talk about the vaccine but I really need the support of others going through a similar journey. With the recent CDC guidelines for pregnant women, I feel very conflicted still. 

I'm wondering if anyone was on the fence and undergoing IVF treatment if you got the vaccine prior, during or after treatment? If after, did you wait until after delivery? 

Are you willing to share your experience? 

Re: IVF and Covid Vaccine

• I had an IUI this past Saturday and my 2nd Pfizer jab the morning after. My RE said to take tylenol as a fever precaution and other than that, the vaccine shouldn't really effect anything. I haven't had any symptoms yet apart from a sore arm and it's been almost 24 hours.

My first jab was Sept 9th, which was on CD22, and it didn't effect my cycle as my period came on time a week after. 

• Thanks for sharing, that's great! Did they try to help recommend timing of shots with IUI?
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes they recommended I get the vaccine after instead of before the IUI. Main reason being if I developed a fever from the vaccine, they wouldn't let me into the clinic for obvious reasons. My 2nd jab was initially scheduled for 3 days before (Thursday) so I moved it to Sunday after I found out the date of the IUI.
  • I got my first Covid shot a couple days before my FET cycle started, and then my 2nd shot the day after my transfer. I asked every doctor's opinion at the clinic, and they all were definitely on board with me getting the vaccine whenever I wanted. It worked out really well because, if I had gotten a fever after each shot, they would've have allowed me to come to the clinic for monitoring appointments, and because of my timing, I didn't need appointments until a few days after my shot (I didn't have a fever anyway) and then 9 days after my 2nd shot. In other words, I say get it, but try to time your first and second doses in a way that any side effects are unlikely to affect your IVF schedule. Or just get your shots done before you start. Or (if you plan to do FET), do your egg retrieval, get vaccinated while embryos are being tested/frozen, then you'll be done when it's time for your transfer. 
  • I got my first and second shot back in Jan/Feb and my second FET transfer in March (currently 31 weeks)**. My mind is a little mixed up but I think I was actually stimming and doing the retrieval around the time I did my first shot. My RE just cautioned on only using tylenol sparingly (there are some studies starting to show it might not be as safe as we think) and it was pretty smooth other than a minor fever after the second shot (lasted about 12 hours). 

**1st FET was back in 2017 and was successful with DD born in 2018.
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• That's awesome!! Thanks! What may not be as safe as we think? 
  • Thanks so much! We just froze after our first egg retrieval 2 weeks ago. I think I'm going to try to get all before anxiously wanting to do the FET. 
  • @samjomk

Tylenol  -  a new study shows some concern with early childhood development  
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-10-tylenol-risky-pregnant-womenacetaminophen-contribute.html

Nothing solid but my RE said just try to stay away from popping pills for every ache and pain :smile:
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Got it, thanks! I have a lot more reading to do 👍 
  • Sil had no issues with ivf and vaccine now pregnant
  • Speaking on behalf of my friend, she got both shots during ivf and didn't have any issues. She's halfway through her pregnancy now, but she is wanting to wait until after she gives birth for the booster.