May 2022 Moms

Mental Preparation & Processing

brookejay06brookejay06 member
edited December 2021 in May 2022 Moms
A place to chat/ask questions about how you’re doing mentally and emotionally as you consider how life is about to change with: 

- the addition of a new family member
- the postpartum season, perhaps PP anxiety/depression
- sleep deprivation
- going from 1 kid to 2, or 2 to 3, etc etc 
- the newborn phase 
- transition with a job
- family dynamics 
- labor and delivery in all its forms
- feeding baby
- body changes after baby
- whatever else! 

So this is different from other threads in that it’s not how you’re doing with the practical or physical preparations like buying a crib, registry, baby shower, etc etc.

NOTE- this thread is not intended to scare anyone, especially first time moms. Those of us who already have kids probably have experienced some difficulties along the way and we want to process those, though maybe it would be good to use a TW if you want to share about a super traumatic labor, etc. 

Re: Mental Preparation & Processing

• brookejay06brookejay06 member
    edited December 2021
    I can start!! 

I am scared. Haha. I’m so nervous to have a newborn again. I did not bond with my last NB, thanks in part to my personality (I like kids that talk) and also undiagnosed PP anxiety. I’m nervous to feel that (or more accurately, not feel anything at all) again. The sleep deprivation was rough. My sweet, amazing kid was a crier. Breastfeeding was tough. This was not the story of all my friends, FYI for new mamas. This will not necessarily be your story. Most of my friends had that blissful bond with their baby and savored all the snuggles. I’m hoping that’s my story this time. 

In hindsight I probably should have switched to formula or at least supplementing. I should have started anxiety meds sooner. And I know so much more about myself now, I can express my needs way better. But I am still just nervous. 

A question: For those of you who struggled with the HUGE life change of becoming a mother… was it at all easier the second time? I know having a NB and a toddler will have its challenges. But I’m holding on to hope that nothing can compare with the shock I experienced with my first (again, in part to the anxiety and having no idea what to expect). Do you think there is some validity to that?
  • b_1029b_1029 member
    edited December 2021
    I’m honestly just scared that DD is going to be really upset when we bring the baby home. I need to Google all the transition tips / take all the tips from STM+ here. I’m also a bit terrified of the sleep deprivation + a toddler. I definitely struggled with some PPA/D and need to be on top of it this time. A lot of it I contribute to what I perceived as “failing” at BF. So I do have some anxiety about that this time around, but I think I’ll be better at giving myself grace with it and not beating myself into the ground. ETA the other biggest contributor to all that other than hormones was the fact I find it impossible to ask for help. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @b_1029 YES. amen to everything you said. I feel all of that. I wonder if it will be a little easier now knowing what to expect and how we handle this type of change? 
  • @brookejay06 I just saw your post and agree with yours. I also didn’t have that immediate bond with DD that I had read about. It took me a while but I think a lot was that we went through IF and then I was so freaking anxious about everything related to NB life. A lot of it was eating too- I would literally cry every time we had to supplement with formula at the beginning and would go into every feeding session super anxious. 
  • I have so much to say here. But for now I’m gonna say I LOVE that this thread has been started. I’ll circle back after I eat 😆

• I didn't have a traumatic birth with DD persay, but every second that followed for the next couple months was a lot of sh*t tbh. Some good parts, but we had an extremely stressful first couple months and I'm terrified to go through it again, even though the likelihood is incredibly low. I don't even know what to expect for a "normal" maternity leave at this point, since mine definitely wasn't it. I had very little bonding time at birth (NICU baby) and man, being in a hospital room postpartum without your baby and then leaving the hospital without them sucks so much. And she wasn't even in the NICU that long, cannot imagine what other parents go through.

@brookejay06 definitely didn't have an immediate bond, given all that. Didn't get anywhere close to the "golden hour". Maybe like the "bronze 15 min" before she was whisked away. 

At the very least, what we went through with DD has made me very comfortable to ask my parents or my in-laws to help out with basic chores, like laundry or dishes, since we relied on them so heavily before. I literally wouldn't not have eaten if they didn't bring me lunch because I had zero access to food when DH was at work

@b_1029 do you think it would be easier to ask for help if you gave people specific tasks? Like "hey, I ordered this meal, can you pick it up?" Or "can you bring me dinner, I want X" or "can you move the load to the dryer". Small simple tasks, rather than an open ended "I need help"? 
  • So grateful for this thread, and I can relate so much to what you ladies have posted. @brookejay06 and @b_1029, so much of what you both wrote was spot on with my story. One difference I will say is I bonded with DS right away. Luckily, I didn't have that challenge. However, breastfeeding was so, so hard and I didn't expect that at all. I also cried every time I had to supplement (at first; eventually I had to come to terms with it.) My PP anxiety was debilitating. I went to therapy and resisted going on any medication for a long time, but eventually went to a psychiatrist who specialized in treating postpartum and pregnant women. If I were to give any advice to a new momma, it would be to listen to your body (especially mental health wise) and try to have an open mind about receiving treatment if you need it. I will say I feel much calmer this pregnancy and I think it's partially because I'm under the care of a psychiatrist. 

With this one, I share many of your worries, especially that breastfeeding will be difficult again. I am comforted by @third2022's post. Thank you for that! I'm hoping I feel a little more comfortable with this baby and all the things that come with newborn care. I'm nervous about juggling the needs of both kids while sleep deprived and dealing with all the crazy hormones that can be present postpartum. 
  • @third2022 thanks for sharing this. I need to hear that it can be better when you know a little more of what to expect. I’m just that type of person. I wish I was more flexible and go with the flow but I thrive on expectations and planning. Thank you. I am hopeful your third will be just an adjustment and not a total shock. 

@runninginva Same here girl… I was not interested in medication at all. Finally gave it a chance when I was beyond my breaking point (18mo PP) and thought “well, if I hate it I’ll stop”… turns out it’s been a game changer. I didn’t know how bad my anxiety was until it was gone. Like, other people don’t think about their baby/husband/loved ones dying several times an hour? They don’t check the monitor obsessively? They can let the baby stay home alone with dad/grandma? I feel like such a better mom now that I’m not constantly being bombarded with intrusive thoughts. 

@pajamstagrams that sounds so so hard. I’m sorry you didn’t get the initial PP experience that I’m sure you envisioned in the hospital with your baby. A NICU stay can be so traumatic. 

@b_1029 I’m with you. Feeding was a massive source of anxiety and honestly it lead to anxiety not just about breastfeeding but about feeding a toddler. I have had a really hard time adjusting to nourishing my kid with solid food because meals still Can be triggering. 
  • @runninginva
    We ended up sleep training pretty early  - not full on cry it out - but we definitely worked on getting baby to nap in a crib/basinett from day 1 because it was necessary and then full sleep trained during the 4 month regression.  It isn't for everyone, but sleep training was a lifesaver for us.  

We made sure to focus on giving the older one lots of 1:1 attention when baby napped in the mornings and to keep her schedule, routines and extra classes as much as we could.  Best thing is that we have kept the older one's nap time - which is now quiet play in her room and she is almost 5 and still loves that downtime.  That way even though she didn't really nap anymore, I always had a little downtime every day.  Because she doesn't nap, at the beginning, we just did quiet time at the same time that the baby took an afternoon nap and that time varied from day to day.  Now quiet time is a pretty set time of day so will see what happens with the addition of #3.
  • I love that this thread was started. Thank you so much @brookejay06! I will probably come back here and post again later, but I wanted to recommend the book Good Moms Have Scary Thoughts by Karen Kleiman. And I don't recommend it at all to scare anyone, but rather because I think it's a helpful book in knowing what is normal and expected, and also helpful in knowing when it's time to reach out and get more support. 

The hospital I delivered at offered 5 mental health counseling sessions for everyone who delivered there and I really think it should be standard practice!
  • For the second time moms: if you’re worried about your older LO’s transition, I suggest getting them a book about becoming an older sister. We used “I’m a Big Sister” for DD1 and DD2, and I do think it really helped - especially with DD2. It talks about the changes in family dynamics in a way toddlers can understand and puts it all in a positive light 

as for transitioning from 1 to 2 for mom, I would say for me it was both a lot easier to go from 1 to 2 and a lot harder. For me, I didn’t have PPD/PPA with DD1 so I didn’t expect it with DD2. And man oh man did it hit. I also started a work from home job when DD2 was 6 weeks old, and DH and I were living in an apartment where we were engaged in part time ministry outreach, so our living situation was super stressful. Once we were able to get me on meds and change our living situation, it got a whole lot better for me emotionally. As for the physical and familial transition, it went so much smoother. DH and I knew (kind of lol) what to expect, what to worry about and what was normal, how we were able to share responsibilities, etc. Asking for help was the hardest thing to learn with all 3 of my kids births, but honestly our families and friends *wanted* to do something, and even things like grabbing an extra pack of diapers for us or picking up our take out order made our friends so happy to feel like they were contributing. 
  • Hi all! Just sharing my personal experiences, which may or may not resonate with some of you. This is my third pregnancy. I have 2 daughters that are exactly 2 years apart.

So, after having my first, I didn’t realize I had PPA/D until it was done and gone. But, looking back, I definitely did. Becoming a new mom was HARD! My milk was painfully slow to come in and DD1 always seemed hungry. I also had to be forced to eat. After delivering I felt like I had the flu for over a week and could hardly stomach anything. My hubby was obsessed with measuring to know DD1 was getting enough to eat, but breastmilk (from the breast) can’t really be measured. He “forced” me into supplementing and I did finger feeding or used an itty bitty tube I’d slide in her mouth while she breastfed because I was DETERMINED to breastfeed and not create “nipple confusion”. And I cried every time. I felt like a failure. In hindsight, he was right. And supplementing was, in fact, wonderful. We still breastfed for 10 months, but she had an evening bottle that a) allowed me to go to bed early if I wished b) allowed hubby to have that special feeding bonding c) allowed me to go out by myself sometimes and not panic about the state she would be in when I got home because he had a backup food supply and d) even allowed grandma and grandpa to do some feedings too. I don’t know why there’s so much shame about formula feeding or supplementing, but many of you have stated it as well. A fed baby is a happy baby and mama’s mental health should NOT be ignored.

Fast forward to DD2. No PPA/D. Yes, things were hella busy and I never got to nap as hubby worked from home (his office was in our bedroom) and DD1 was home full time. But, when you have your first, both you AND the baby are learning. With your second, one of you knows what’s up. They’re all unique. And our second gave us challenges (lactose intolerance for one. We called her “Leaky Lipped Lily” for the first 4 months at least while we figured that one out as she threw up after almost every meal - the solution was for me to go lactose free too). My milk - came in FAST AND FURIOUS! Like, I would have to pump or self express a little to release pressure so I didn’t completely waterboard her (which is why we thought she was throwing up so much at first). DD1 was also a gem and we’d been really nervous about her adjustment. We had gotten the “I’m a Big Sister” book and read it regularly both before and after DD2 arrived. And I think it also helped that I let her be involved and tried not to push her away. We use cloth diapers and I’d let her pick out her favourite pattern for baby sister. She often chose the outfits, no matter how outrageous they were (and it was covid, so we weren’t going anywhere, anyway). She’d turn the mumaroo on and get a lovey for sister. She was my assistant with getting blankies to wipe up DD2 spit ups and then run the soiled blankies to the laundry. And we’d do what I called “feed and read”. Whenever I fed DD2, DD1 crawled up into my lap too with stories and I’d read to her while DD2 fed (and usually fell asleep), so she didn’t feel excluded from that process either. And I didn’t have any hesitancy with supplementing this time around so DD1 would sometimes give DD2 her bottle.

I hope that that may give a few of you some ideas or reassurances. We are EXCITED about adding a third into the mix and I’m not worried about the newborn transitions. I feel like we can handle everything now and everyone will adjust. DD1 is excited, DD2 is oblivious but I am confident that she’ll be just as wonderful with new baby as DD1 was with her. And if not, I’ll just repeat to myself “this too shall pass”. Everything is just a phase. Remember that when you’re in a tough one and just need to get to the other side, as well as when you’re in a good one to soak up every minute of it.

And take time for YOU whatever that looks like and however you can manage it. A shower isn’t self-care. A shower is hygiene. Alone time, pampering, a glass of wine, date night (even if at home), gym, reading a book without pictures, girls’ night, etc. it’s all important. The more you take care of yourself, the better able you are to take care of your family.
  • I love this thread so much and am thankful to see everyone’s thoughts here be so similar to mine!!  For me my first birth experience was pretty awful. I had an unexpected c section then hospitalized a week later and life was just rough for several months. I am terrified of repeating all that but I also know we know what to look for now and I feel so much more confident in the medical team I have this time around. I realize looking back I probably had PPD and should have talked to someone and probably gotten medication. This time around I know to ask for that help if I feel the need is there quickly and not try to wait it out. I’m also anxious because my daughter will be 9 by the time baby gets here so I feel like I’m completely starting over and don’t remember the baby stuff at all. I do feel like I’ll be calmer this time though - I hope. I know now to take the days as they come and not to stress if things dont go as I planned. Any other second time moms have a large age gap?  If so how did that go?  
  • Such a good thread that I wish had been around years ago when I was preparing for DD. Looking back, I definitely had PPA and only realized it once it was done and gone. I'd say that was round 6ish months or so. I had a very easy pregnancy, delivery and textbook newborn phase so I don't know how I even developed PPA but I did. My PPA wasn't always around the baby or her health but more situational; what is my exit strategy when I'm in public and something horrible happens, what if I get in an accident on the way home from work, the plane is going to crash as I'm on my way to my first girls weekend, or DH and his travel schedule for work. And ten my own work situation...I had gotten promoted 3 days before I delivered DD so returning from leave put a lot of pressure on me. Lets not forget to factor in that I wanted to be "Pinterest Perfect" in everything that I did in life. 

This go round, I'm glad I will be much more aware of the feelings and know when to speak up should they creep up on me. Additionally, the plan is to switch careers after a leave this time and I know I need to get rolling on that starting in the new year by at least making the connections, resume, starting to interview, etc...so that way I can jump ship in September. I love my current job but I know it is not family friendly with 2 kids now. 
  • I just want to say that I LOVE this thread. This would’ve been so useful leading up to DD’s birth so I didn’t think there was something wrong with me with all my feelings. I really got down on myself whenever I had negative thoughts or wasn’t like fully enjoying newborn life because I felt like I needed to be grateful for every moment after 2 years of IF. 
  • @MrsLaLaBug
    Your how I got pregnant story is the same as mine.  We thought we were done, on the pill and had an appointment for a new IUD the week after I found out.  I completely understand the range of emotions you describe.  My first reaction to the positive test was to yell out F*CK.  I'm still struggling with it some days.  We haven't bought anything for baby  - but have everything still from the first 2 - and I am struggling to to committ to  purchasing a new car - we won't fit in our current one anymore - as well as all the things we won't be able to do as easily as a family of 5 vs 4.  Our kids are still little (almost 5 and 2) but it is still hard  to think about going back to the newborn stage again.  Our kids sleep through the night and go to preschool and finally play together.  My husband and I can leave them with our parents or a sitter easily and go out.  I hope #3 is an easy baby but all the unknown is pretty scary. 
  • @MrsLaLaBug Your story makes me want to say yes and amen and validate every single thing you’re feeling. I’m sure it changes constantly, but you are a GREAT mom even when you feel like “oh shit what did we get ourselves into, this is not what I wanted or planned”. That would be an insane mental adjustment. I planned for this pregnancy and I still find myself shocked and unsure. I can’t imagine all the things you must feel. You are still a good mom ♥️

@third2022 You too, girl!! It sounds like a huge mental shift and a giant pill to swallow. You are still a good mom. 
  • As a FTM I love being able to read these posts. I suffer from anxiety and OCD, so my therapist and I have been mentally preparing for the possibility that these may intensify after birth due to PPA. It's very reassuring to hear that these things happen and the earlier you address it the better it can be.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!
  • @karisahamdi I’m glad you’re so open to talking with your provider already!! You may feel great but it’s so good to have a team of support people on your side BEFORE shit hits the fan (and obviously, hopefully it doesn’t. This doesn’t affect 80% of moms!) 
  • @karisahamdi that’s great you are already planning ahead with your therapist! 
  • MrsLaLaBugMrsLaLaBug member
    edited December 2021
    @third2022 @brookejay06 thank you for commiserating!! 
    @brookejay06 absolutely it is easier the second time around IMHO!!! You already have a handle on what can and might happen, so there’s a def jumpstart on it from that perspective! Everyone knows all babies are different and can throw us curveballs. But having a one up is never a bad thing! 
    @b_1029 sleep deprivation scares the shit out of me too girl. It’s NOT fun. 
    @runninginva @brookejay06 @And846
    omg y’all the PPA. I never had anxiety in my LIFE until after my kids were born. I literally could’ve written all of your thoughts word for word. To this day I still won’t drive across the causeway bridge into NOLA with my kids in the car if I’m alone bc I’m terrified of the car going over the edge into the water. “You mean other moms don’t constantly think that?” I get it. 

• trailkindertrailkinder member
    edited December 2021
    As FTM, I'm really worried about PPD. I've had episodes with moderate depression on and off since college, which is part of the reason I waited until 33 to conceive. I was afraid of being "sad mommy" until I learned to better manage the condition. I've managed my mental health well with strict self care and medication (which I never felt really helped, but maybe it did) over the past 5 or 6 years, but I know lack of sleep and stress can be a trigger for me.

Luckily, my husband is very attentive to the beginning stages of a slide, often moreso than I am, and we've communicated a lot about the possibility that I will slip. I went off medication to conceive, which was absolute hell. I really don't want to have to go back on after going through that, and I've not had any issues while off other than a normal level of worry about the baby. Our plan is to try therapy first, unless the situation is dire. Overall, I really don't want to burden my husband by becoming an absolute wreck during what will be a difficult time for him as well.
  • @trailkinder Totally makes sense that this would be something that you’re already considering. I have a few thoughts, if you don’t mind me sharing…

If I could suggest- go ahead and get your OB/midwife in your corner and let them know about your history and your concern for postpartum. Perhaps you go ahead and plan for several counseling sessions PP, whether or not you are experiencing symptoms of depression. I say that just because having a plan in place before there’s an issue can sometimes avert the issue altogether. It can bring so much peace of mind. My midwife is amazing and has done so much to help me through the PP anxiety (including counseling, regulating my meds, checking in on my mood frequently, etc). You could also look into hiring a postpartum doula to help out during days or even nights. Having a supportive partner is amazing but I also understand the feeling of wanting to not put too much additional pressure on them (I.e. They have to get up early for work, I don’t want them to have to get up with baby). So bringing in a third party like a doula could help in times of need! 

Another thing that could help with your PP plan is to let your close friends/family know what your triggers are and what to be looking for. You probably already know all of this since dealing with bouts of depression at different times in your life. 

I will say that in postpartum we are so vulnerable (thanks to hormones and transitions and lack of sleep and stress, etc), however it is a phase. It is not forever! You talking about it and thinking about it NOW already makes you 100000x further along than I was. I thought “that won’t happen to me. I’m happy to have this baby”…. Silly me. Mood disorders don’t discriminate and don’t care if the pregnancy is planned! It can affect anyone. You are already doing so well to be considering your options and plans. 
  • @trailkinder glad you are looking ahead. I echo absolutely everything @brookejay06 said!! 💯 
    I went through PPD/PPA after both of my other kids were born and even though I’m 41, know what to look for, know to expect it, and know the best method of treatment for me, I’m still terrified of it. You are not alone! 

• great point @skc040512!! After my first, I didn’t really even know what PPD was and didn’t know I had it until about 2-3 months after she was born and things still just weren’t getting better for ME, while everything and everyone else(including baby) was flourishing. A lot of moms experience baby blues, but PPD is a whole other monster and thankfully not all of us will experience that! 

• Great reminder, thank you @skc040512!
  • Thank you @brookejay06 and @MrsLaLaBug for the advice and the encouragement.. My former therapist no longer practices here, and so I was putting off trying to find some one else. You are so right, brookejay, about the importance of having a plan in place though, and I think I really will go ahead and schedule some appointments with a therapist my friend sees. Thank you for the idea! 

• Loving this thread, and am here for all of you! Will try to post a longer comment here one of these days when I can gather my thoughts. 
  • @skc040512 great reminder! I remember having random bouts of just being incredibly sad and depressed for no real reason, around the first week or so post partum. 
  • @skc040512 So true!! It’s so good to be educated on this subject so you can read your own emotions/thoughts. The hormones and lack of sleep can make you feel lots of things. It doesn’t equal anxiety or depression!!

for people that don’t know- Baby blues generally only last for the first 2 weeks PP and it doesn’t affect overall self-worth. PMADs (PPA/D) last much longer and it’s not just feeling teary or sad but feeling like “I’m a horrible mother. my family would be better off without me. Why did I choose to have a child”, etc. (Poke around on the PSI website for more info. Or just talk to your OB)
  • Ummmm…..what?
  • "You can start" first of all, there is no need to talk on the internet for attention. The internet is darker than I thought in the sense that I see some random people I never met trying to talk. It makes no sense to me. Don't talk to me by the way, I am giving you a heads up. There is no way you are the boss of this thread, just like there is no way you are the "boss" of my life or your life. Whether or not this "thread" is different from some other threads doesn't really matter. The truth is, you're hideous and annoying a bit and I can do without that. I doubt you know how to manage a baby and this barely depends on what you said or how YOU behaved. I know who I am talking to and this barely depends on the situation. I am trying to argue without stressing myself out a lot. I am calling you hideous because you're on the internet looking for attention and your profile doesn't make you stand OUT in every way. I am stronger or more better by a thousand times. Today has an interesting date by the way 22/02/2022 and I am quite surprised by this. Back to the point, I am quite happy with everything. The worst thing you can do is keep talking or keep arguing. If you accuse me of something, back it up and that piece of advice is more sharp than the sharpest knife ever. That's my opinion mostly. You act as if your stupidity is a virtue, correct me if I'm wrong. I am pretty sure talking to you is pointless all the time. Looking at what you said, you don't deserve any attention or respect. People get treated differently at different times. I am not someone for you to annoy. I already explained why I didn't like what you said because of HOW you expressed yourself. I am literally walking as I talk now. As soon as you or some people get help for yer own benefit, I hope that will make ye change and see things differently. Again, I am mostly talking about you. If we don't need any help, then we wouldn't be on the interested looking for attention anytime. You're not looking through a toilet paper or a plastic tube in the middle of a street, you're looking at MY comment. I am fit as a bull but you're not as quick as a bullet all the time. Don't mess with God, nevermind me. You should understand me though. Don't forget I am nice although not with you this time. You deserve what you get. I am going to stop without worrying. I am very honest.
     QFP

• this is LITERALLY what I was JUST referring to in the private group thread and I'm DED  :D:D:D

• "just joined"  :D:D:D