May 2022 Moms

Moving to a Private Group

Piggybacking on the polls I created, I wanted to get this conversation started since it’s mid-February (🤯)! Based on the polls, sounds like the majority would like to move straight to FB and would like to within the next month or so (majority of answers were that you’re ready now or in March)

We haven't talked about how to facilitate the move...so creating this thread to start! I know a lot of you have been in previous BMBs so any ideas are welcome. Seems like other BMBs have all approached it a bit differently.

Re: Moving to a Private Group

• On my previous bmb, we made the jump directly to Facebook. From what I remember, we nominated a few admins who managed the process, and we had a thread where people had to comment if they were interested in joining. Then the admins sent PMs to the regulars who expressed interest for their FB email addresses to add them to the private Fb group. Once joining the private group, we had a thread where we had to post a pic with the date, our bump user name, and a random object. 

We didn’t have any sort of voting thing but I like that idea too. 
  • I think I mentioned this previously, but I'll share again in this thread...

If I remember correctly, we had a multiple admins who approved your membership once you requested the group. If none of the admins could vouch for you, you didn't get in. I think we just sent a PM to an admin describing our FB profile pic and name, to cross reference. 

I've seen other groups do love tit voting, and I'm ok with that too. 

Provided I don't have to share my real name publicly (privately to admin in PM is ok) or give anyone an email address, I'm probably ok with whatever we decide!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m with @pajamstagrams, I would rather *not* share my name publicly in TB, but can describe my fbook profile to admins and I can participate in taking a picture with my bump username/date/object/real name however we decide! 
  • Agreed I wouldn’t want to share my real name publicly. 
    Sorry @pajamstagrams I know it has kinda been discussed elsewhere but I figured it would be good to consolidate in 1 place 
  • @b_1029 no need to apologize, I'm all about consolidation!! idk where we even had that convo, was it in randoms? Questions? 😂

Thanks for starting the thread!!
  • I've fine with all of this! I am the dummy that used my full name already, but very happy to partake in any safety precautions with pictures. 

• My last bmb had admins and they contacted us via inbox on the bump if we expressed interest in joining. We provided them with our name and they added us to group. 

I’m open to any form of migration to FB! 
  • I’m down with whatever y’all decide!! 🥰

• I’m down with whatever. I didn’t participate as much or join the private group with my previous bmb’s but I like this group of ladies!! And was a little lonely last time around with covid. As it doesn’t seem to want to be going anywhere fast, I’m keen to keep engaged with you guys!
  • What @And846 said! Whoever is going to be the admin just messages people privately on TB to get added. 
  • I'm in for migrating to FB. Would be comfortable private messaging someone my name to add for facebook :)
  • I like the Facebook set up better. I’d be in for migrating 
  • Let's gooooo. 
    Married 11.12.11
    JB 08.02.13 
    EC 12.11.15
    GE 04.04.19
    #4 & #5 due 05.05.22
  • Would also love a private bump group. When you do Facebook do you just post and have things in replies? I'm just thinking on my other bmb how we have ongoing convos like a meal-prep thread, solid food, toddler tantrums, sleep etc. and I'm not familiar with how that works on FB.
  • @jandawg  My other BMB does keep different threads organized on FB. The posts are started by someone posting a photo or meme with a caption for what it’s for and there are post topic tags so you can search for specific types of posts. On top of Daily Randoms we have threads like monthly meme dump threads, weekly HDBD (now Hump Day Toddler Day), fitness threads, TTC threads, when the babies were first born we had specific MOTN (middle of the night) threads and breastfeeding threads. I like that it’s easier to respond to certain comments because all of the responses to that stay grouped under the one comment and you don’t have to scroll all the way back to find and continue a conversation if you come back to it a while later etc. 
  • What @happynapper said, that’s how my bmb did/does it too. 
    Sounds like we’re mostly in agreement on the move, I assume next steps would be figuring out admins. I don’t remember how we did this for my bmb but assume there’s some sort of nomination and vote. Maybe we could do it with love tits in this thread or something? Idk, what do you all think?
  • And846And846 member
    edited February 2022
    My previous bmb started out having daily threads, daily MOTN thread, weekly random, HDBD, mental health mommy and meal prep. After a while it shifted to weekly thread topics and overall t monthly topics. 

Sometimes i found the daily to be overwhelming when there weee 90+ comments but they were at least easy to read through, catch up and respond. 

ETA: I’d like to keep the weekly threads with all our random chatter but also happy to shift to daily chatter. But i like the weekly thread in case someone is quite one day that they can easily jump in if it’s a weekly. 
  • @b_1029 I like the nomination idea, that’s what my last 2 BMBs did also. People can choose to decline being an admin if they are nominated too.

• @jandawg We also have different threads on FB, and they've changed as our kids have grown up. I think it's pretty well organized, and I like how you can actually reply to a specific comment much easier. It's definitely not a free for all, and at the beginning I know we called out people for posting their own thread (exception was everyone's birth story posts, and those who've had significant life events that we wanted routine updates on without those getting lost in randoms, etc)

I think we started out with weekly questions and weekly randoms, but now they're monthly. Separate threads for memes, house stuff, HDBD (which is now a general monthly photo thread), new pregnancies, and other random fun GTKY posts. 

Re: nominations, I think we might have had volunteers last time, but I'm definitely open to nominations as well! My only request is that we get one FTM in there, if possible, so the STM+ don't run the show 🙃
  • My only request is that we get one FTM in there, if possible, so the STM+ don't run the show 🙃
    This is a great idea! 

• @pajamstagrams our admins were volunteers too… the only thing I would add would be maybe 3 admins. We started with 2 and one of ours repeatedly decided to take social media breaks then ultimately left social media entirely. It was fine for us because there’s never been a need for actual “moderating” in that group and we eventually added a new admin just bc there was a technical issue the 1 admin couldn’t figure out herself. But just in the interest of people deciding to leave etc I would recommend more than 2. 
  • @happynapper agree, def need 2+. We had 4, but we had way more members on TB so that might not be necessary in our case. 
  • jandawgjandawg member
    edited February 2022
    Thanks for the explainers folks!

Edit: spelling
  • @annashaf sounds good to me!! And if they want a FTM, maybe @karisahamdi :)
  • I agree with @annashaf & also vote for @karisahamdi to be a FTM admin ☺️
  • I’d also like to nominate @And846

I don’t really know what to do with the list of potential admins once we have it, but just want to make sure anyone who was nominated doesn’t want to decline before we get to that part 
  • @b_1029 I agree, I'll second that nomination!

Also agree with @annashaf suggestions. 

And of course will second/third/fourth? @karisahamdi for a FTM nomination. 

As far as the list of nominees, maybe compile the list in a day or so to get more input and then give people an opportunity to decline? 

Did we all agree on 3 admins? Do we want 4? 
  • All nominations look good + we have a FTM! 
  • @pajamstagrams I think we can go either way, I don’t have a preference if we do 3 or 4. We don’t seem to have that large of a group compared to other bmbs but the more the merrier right? 
  • @b_1029 same, I don't really care 3 vs 4. 
  • Woot! How soon should we begin the transition? I'm ready whenever y'all are!
  • @sph97 I hate TB so I’m ready whenever 😆 I think maybe over the next week we nail down admins, then create some sort of thread where people say they want to be part of the PG. I don’t think we’ve decided if we’d do it as a voting thread (so people would love tit anyone they feel is “regular” enough to be in the PG) or if it would be up to the admins. 
  • @b_1029 I don't think we had decided either. Seems like you're right about the top options though. I don't care either way. I'm cool with whatever. 

• I put another poll up on decision making to see what the majority thinks. I wasn’t sure how to put it into words so hopefully the options make sense 😅
  • Agree with all nominated and will go vote in your poll now @b_1029
  • agree with all the nominations! Glad to see this happen soon!  <3