September 2022 Moms
Options

GTKY 2/15

What's your fashion sense?  What do you like to wear?  Is anything off limits?
Current pregnancy -
First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

Re: GTKY 2/15

• Options
    I am a long flowy dress kind of gal.  Very hippie-ish. I only wear make-up if I have a formal event.  I don't blow dry my hair, and it's tossed up in a clip 90% of the time.  The only jewely I usually wear are the locket with my daughter's photo engraved inside, my grandmother's mother's ring, two silver rings with exchangeable stones (think "swatch" but in a ring format), and my step tracker watch.
    Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    I'm pretty casual. At home and basically anywhere we go that doesn't require to be dressed up, I'm in leggings and t-shirt or nike shorts and a t-shirt. At work and anywhere else I try to keep it fairly classy and conservative, I wear a lot of cardigans, midi/maxi dresses etc. I don't wear much jewelry and my hair is typically always down and straight or wavy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don’t think I have any fashion sense :-/
    I used to try harder when I was younger but now I’m just going to show up in whatever is comfortable and at least semi-appropriate! 
  • Options
    @julwanderlust I sense a theme....

Current pregnancy -

• Options
    I'm with @blanket_girl no style here. Let me be comfy and dressed appropriately.

I live in boob accessible clothing for the last almost 4 years. So tank top and something that buttons up over it. Mostly flannels or oversized open front sweaters because flannels are comfy and sweaters are warm. If I could get away with wearing leggings every day I would, but I know my principal hates them and I like to please him. (He also hates when males show up in cargo pants so it's not a hatred to women it's a hatred to not dressing semi professionally). 
  • Options
    Pretty casual. Work allows for jeans so I tend to wear a cozy sweater or school themed sweatshirt (I work at a college). When I don't have to wear jeans, I'm in leggings and a t-shirt or hoodie. Shoes are for comfort.
    I wear minimal makeup, and my hair is straight so on hair washing days I'll blow dry and wear down but otherwise will be pulled up into a messy bun. Jewelry is also minimal - wedding ring and a pair of earrings I've owned for 20 years (yes, I clean them!!). 

Timely post - was just browsing Shein for maternity clothing...anyone have luck ordering through that site? The prices make it seem too good to be true and I've noticed the sizing is all over the place!
  • Options
    @mnmomma84 I actually just got my first order in from them last week and I loved everything! My neighbor orders from them all of the time and always gets good stuff. I ordered a maxi dress, some maternity leggings, and a Mama t-shirt and they were all great quality! Of course I've heard bad stories of people getting terrible orders from there, but I think it's important to read the reviews on everything and don't order anything that doesn't have any reviews. Also, the shipping takes like 1.5 - 2 weeks because it's all coming from China.
    Below are the links to the things I ordered:

SHEIN Allover Print Ruffle Hem Dress | SHEIN USA

Maternity Phone Pocket Top-stitching Wideband Waist Leggings | SHEIN USA

SHEIN Maternity Letter Graphic Marled Tee | SHEIN USA

*Edit to add: I just realized the dress I ordered is sold out, but I still included it so you can see an example of something with good reviews. I was in love! 
  • Options
    Ok @whitta1015 you've convinced me, I'm going to go look at the Shein website.
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    @kboydbowman The good thing is that everything is pretty cheap, so if you do get something that just sucks, you aren't out of much money, and can always re-sell if it just doesn't fit.
  • Options
    @kboydbowman @whitta1015

OK, you've convinced me and I hit checkout on a handful of items. Will update when I get them!
  • Options
    @mnmomma84 Yay! I have quite a few things favorited so I'll probably order some more stuff soon too. They have really cute maternity bathing suits that I've been eyeing for this Summer. haha
  • Options
    jhysmathjhysmath member
    edited February 2022
    I read this article recently about lead levels in their clothing and have been hesitant in buying from there. Does anyone know of lead is absorbed through the skin? Also does clothing detergent get it out? I know we have special hand soap to get lead off of hands, but I feel like lead is a scary thing to have while pregnant.

.... I don't know how to add a link but if you search the company and lead there are a few that pop up. 
  • Options
    My style is totally PNW, beanies, flannels, leggings, hoodies, converse, and I always have my Eddie Bauer jacket with me. I am obsessed with Madewell if I had to buy from only one brand that would be it. 

As for jewelry I wear my engagement ring and wedding band and my diamond studs my husband got me for our wedding :)
  • Options
    scimommascimomma member
    edited February 2022
    @jhysmath Interesting - and a little scary! I have lead concerns living in an old house (we had some areas of the house remediated when my son was little), but never considered lead in clothing. I'm not sure if it gets absorbed through the skin, but I would be concerned about a baby putting possibly contaminated clothing in their mouths.

Now that we're not totally broke, I try to avoid fast fashion and have been putting money into a few higher quality, basic items a few times a year that will last me a while. I'm an ecologist in academia so I don't really need to worry about being fashionable, plus I study environmental issues which kind of ruins the simple pleasures of impulse buying (I know... it's a bummer haha). I used to hang out with punk kids when I was younger and dress more eclectic, but now I guess you could call me "normcore" - just basic jeans and tshirts and flannels and sweaters that I wear until they disintegrate. The only jewelry I wear is my very simple wedding band. I used to wear a necklace all the time, but I stopped when my son was born because he was always pulling on it even though I guess I could start wearing that again. The pandemic has gotten me into sweatpants which I'm in a love-hate relationship with. 
  • Options
    @mnmomma84
    I tend to go overboard....my "few items" ended up being like $280 of stuff.  Heh.
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    @mamamoomoo12 +1 for Madewell! 

I basically live in leggings, a nursing bra and sweater or flannel right now. T-shirt dresses are my go to in summer! 
  • Options
    @kboydbowman
    I bet that got you two new entire wardrobes :wink: 
  • Options
    Oh this is a fun topic! I feel like there is my pre-Covid life, where I lived in nyc, went out to fun places, and did lots of traveling and thennnn my Covid life, where I live in the suburbs, see no one and go nowhere, and have also constantly been pregnant or postpartum and breastfeeding for the last 2+ years haha. 

I used to dress way more glamorously, but these days, I’m typically in lululemon and/or comfy sweaters. Im a “quality over quantity” shopper. My everyday jewelry is my engagement ring which is a plain solitaire, plain diamond studs, and an everyday tennis bracelet. Shoes are def the number one thing I will only buy “quality” - I’d rather have 3 pairs of shoes that I rotate constantly than 20 pairs of shoes that hurt my feet haha. 
  • Options
    @mnmomma84
    since my style is long flowy dresses and their dresses are more expensive than pants or shirts, it's not as much stuff as you would think.  But it's still a lot. :)  6 dresses, 5 skirts, 10 pants, and 3 shirts.
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    I work in mining so when I’m at work up here I wear a uniform, or if I’m in our head office I wear slacks & business t-shirts or a bold coloured jumper with dress shoes (usually my pale pink pair). I don't really wear them outside of work though, I like to dress more casual. Up here I live in long flowy dresses that cover my chest & upper arms, Birkenstocks & a broad rimmed hat. It’s too hot to wear anything other than that & I need to cover up or I will burn to a crisp. I sometimes feel like a bit of a hobo because most of what I own is “fast fashion”, not very good quality & doesn't fit very well, so I’ve recently started buying good quality long flowy dresses, but I am plus size with even more plus size boobs so finding things that fit me well is a challenge. I will defs be checking out shein - thanks for the recommendation @whitta1015. When I’m not up here I wear jeans & t’s or active wear with an oversize jumper if it's cold and either my birks, vans or cons on my feet.

Jewellery I wear nothing except for a ring in my nose, daith & 2 in my ear cartilage, but that's purely so they don't close over. I don't do anything fancy with them and I hardly wear earrings in my lobes. I put on 60lb since I got engaged so my engagement & wedding rings don't fit anymore. I refuse to get the re-sized because ~one day~ I will lose enough weight for them to fit again. 

• Options
    Is comfortable a style? I basically live in joggers and leggings with t-shirts if I’m at home or running errands. Work is mandatory business casual (gross), and I usually wear knee length dresses or flow-y blouses. 

I’m always cold, even in summer in GA, so hoodies might be my most prized clothing item - I have lots, and the DH surprised me with a new one in a larger size yesterday to accommodate the future bump 😊

As for jewelry, I keep it simple: my engagement/wedding ring and earrings. I have a tragus and second hole piercings I never take out, and I usually wear studs in my first hole because anything dangly gets tangled in my hair. 

Definitely checking out shein. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • Options
    I work from home almost every day so yeah, I would say it’s cozy haha. I have a feeling I will be living in dresses this pregnancy! To piggyback off of the Shein comment, I just ordered some warm weather clothes last week. We’re going to Arizona next month and being from Seattle, I definitely won’t have any warm weather stuff that fits hahahah.