June 2022 Moms
Options

Advice from STM+: What you really need for baby vs stuff you never used

Post a list here of stuff you thought you needed and didn't use or things you wished you'd gotten for baby

Re: Advice from STM+: What you really need for baby vs stuff you never used

• Options
    If I can make a request - also what do you need from day 1 versus maybe a month in?
  • Options
    Not necessary:
    Boppy - it never fit me right or seemed high enough.  I found it much easier just to use a bed pillow.  I did use the boppy for tummy time and to help babe sit up though.  My older kids still lounge on it.  
    Bottle warmer - we would just microwave a mug of water and throw the bottle in
    Wipe warmer
    Sound machine - An old unused iphone with a white noise app 
    The Pack-N-Play with all the accessories - We never used anything but the base version even though we thought we wanted all the extras
    Nursing cover - They never stay in place and are super annoying for you and baby.  When I desperately needed to cover up I would just throw a gauze receiving blanket over us.
    Bassinet with bells and whistles - we never used any features, just plopped the baby in it.  Who wants to listen to lullabies at 3am?
    Pregnancy pillow - Seems good for lounging but how to you roll over when actually trying to sleep?  And its so hot.  

Glad we had:
    Swing - A life saver when you need to get something done
    Jogging stroller/stroller with non-fixed wheels - Over 7 years and 3 kids we've been though a bunch of strollers and they are so much easier to maneuver than ones with fixed wheels

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Never needed:
    diaper pail
    wipes warmer
    stroller (I don’t live in a walking-friendly place)
    Things I didn’t need right away:
    baby monitor
    high chair
    bibs
    shoes

• Options
    @fluteling Shoes!  Adorable and completely pointless.  I would like to add headbands and bows to that list.  My kids never kept them on.  
  • Options
    @KFrob ah! I forgot about some of those. I didn’t have a boppy but I had a different nursing pillow that I liked. I never understood how something that round was supposed to be helpful. I also second pregnancy pillows being no help. And I want to add that bumbo thing. 
  • Options
    @pinkkillersheep

Stuff right away:
    Crib/bassinet/packnplay
    A blanket for tummy time and maybe a couple of interesting things to look at or a mirror
    Bottles and at least a sample/small container of formula bc even if you plan on breastfeeding shit happens and it's usually a middle of the night break down
    A really good nipple cream - Bamboobies or Motherlove are my favorite
    A couple of newborn outfits and a few 0-3 until you know what size babe will be
    Diapers/wipes - newborn and size 1

I think that's it, am I forgetting any important stuff?

The first few months you don't really need much.  Maybe after that a play mat and a few toys.   

• Options
    Never used a sound machine. 
    Wipe Warmer was a waste because it seemed to get cold the moment I brought it out.
    I agree the Boppy pillow was not necessary and neither are shoes or nursing cover.
    We got the Pack N Play, DD didn't care for it.

This time I am just getting the minimal amount of clothes. A few newborn and the rest 3-6 months.
    A coming home outfit
    Pacifiers 
    car seat
    stroller
    Halo sleepsack
    burp clothes
    using the diaper changing table from last time just got new pad.
    baby tub and bath supplies
    tummy time mat
    rocker or swing
    we used our dockatot a lot last time
    Was trying to find a bassinet. Had the Halo one and didn't like it. 
    baby monitor.
    Still have a crib but need new mattress
    A pump because I went back to work for awhile. Also, my husband helped with night feedings since I had bottles ready.
    Nipple cream for sore nipples.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    used the bouncer a lot. Never used the walker because at a pediatrician appointment, the dr said she had just seen a patient who broke his foot while in the walker, so decided not to use it.
  • Options
    Stuff you don’t need:

The boppy nursing pillow is a waste of money. Not saying all nursing pillows are, but for sure this one is. 

Wipes warmer, your house shouldn’t be so cold that your wipes will upset your baby and if you get them used to having perfectly warmed wipes and then have to change them on the go you will enrage them. 

Changing tables that are standalone items. Put a changing pad on a dresser. You will most likely be changing them on the couch or bed anyways. 

this one is probably controversial but if you live somewhere very humid you do not need a baby room humidifier. A small one for when they’re sick will do the trick if you feel you need one. 
  • Options
    @romeoandjuliet146 I believe that they are actually illegal in Canada
  • Options
    Needed/most used (alot of these were used from the beginning):

- My breast friend nursing pillow. I found the boppy uncomfortable, I agree, but my breast friend worked really well as it clips on around the waist and is a lot more comfortable to use for feedings
    - Newborn onesies. I was told not to get them and regretted this immediately. My kids were average size and each drowned in 0-3m clothing. I had them in newborn stuff for at least 1-2 months each. 
    - 1 piece outfits/pj's with zippers. No snaps or even worse, buttons. 
    - Baby bjorn bouncer/lounger. A GODSEND! I would take that thing with me everywhere and the baby can keep themselves entertained kicking legs and bouncing. 
    - A toy attachment for the baby bjorn bouncer mentioned above. I got an arch with some toy attachments on amazon for it, it was great. Kept the baby entertained. This is likely necessary around 3 months+ 
    - Pack n play. We kept it downstairs for the baby to sleep in so I wouldn't have to run up and down each time for naps. A stroller bassinet will work well for the first few months as well so baby can sleep anywhere. 
    - Baby carrier with infant insert. I could never get into the wrap ones, so we used the plain old baby bjorn and simple ergo baby one. DH really liked them as well and it's useful with multiple kids on the go. 
    - The shoosher. I saw comments above that sound machines are useless and I have to disagree on this one. The shoosher was one of my most used items so I didn't have to stand over the baby shooshing it to sleep. I took it everywhere with me. 
    - Windi gas relief. Didn't use this with my first and he had a lot of gas. Was great for my second. 
    - A car mirror. Might seem silly, but both kids loved looking at themselves in the mirror. We'd attach it to the headrest facing them so they could look. Also a good way to see the baby from the driver seat. 
    - Good nursing/pumping bras. I like ones with a hole in the middle to insert pumping flanges into and be hands free that also unclip for nursing. I liked Kindred Bravely ones last time. 
    - Oxo tot space saving drying rack - helps save counter space for all the bottles and parts. 
    - A mosquito net for the stroller - we have lots of mosquitoes here in NY so this is useful, especially with small babies in the summer. 

Didn't need:
    - Bottle warmer. Even for breastmilk, I'd use a pot of hot water to heat up the bottles or take one out of the fridge an hour or so before feeding to bring it to room temperature. 
    - A separate baby bathtub that only lasts for 2-3 months. I had the Primo Euro bathtub on my register and HIGHLY recommend it if you can get your hands on it (if they still make them). It is large and double sided - 1 side for infants and 1 for sitting babies/toddlers. 

@KFrob omg you didn't like the pregnancy pillow? I can't sleep without mine! I'll be sad when I have to put it away. 

Also - my first was a boy, so I was excited to get bows for my girl. I loved putting bows on her for her monthly pictures and she's now 2 and likes to pick out her own bows :) Useless for babies? Sure! but they are cute I think. 

***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• Options
    @marionberry19 That's true about changing tables. Usually ended up changing her on the bed especially at night.

@KFrob I didn't know that. I just read about it after you mentioned it.

@Tulips29 I forgot about the car mirror. Have to order one. Don't have a sound machine, but like my air purifier since it has a calming sound. Just looked online and saw that Baby Frida has one that is an air purifier, night light and sound machine. Not sure how great it is.

I loved my pregnancy pillow last time but don't use it now since it is kind of big for the bed. I've been trying to find a firm pillow for side sleeping that won't lose it's shape.

Never used a bottle warmer. We had one of those electric kettles to heat up water fast. 

I see a lot of moms on Instagram use the Baby Bjorn bouncer and wondered about it.
  • Options
    also, I had those milestone cutouts for monthly pics. This time, I ordered a letterboard.
  • Options

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• Options
    @Tulips29 I've always wondered how you're supposed to clean and store those things!  We have one of those baby tubs that has the newborn sling, then an infant side, and a toddler side.

@romeoandjuliet146 DH and I just got new pillows from Costco.  We got the Caspar Original and I'm thinking about getting another one for my legs and belly.  It's soft and fluffy but still firm at the same time.  It's one of the best pillows I've ever owned.   
  • Options
    @KFrob I was wondering about the Casper pillows. My husband bought the Casper Essential from Costco for me, but when I opened the box, the plastic bag was off and shoved at the bottom of the box, so looked like someone may have used it, so returned it. Will look at the Casper Original.

@Tulips29 I have seen those before, but it didn't seem useful.
  • Options
    @tulips29 (& others who have advice) I was looking at the baby bjorn bouncer but fell in love with the Bloom one. Are we loving this brand specific product or the type of product in general? 

Also, I am obsessed with the mamas and papas mealtime booster seat and they no longer ship to the US and I got rid of the one I had for my son. so if any of you are across the pond I’ll sell you my right kidney if you ship it to me 😂😂 but seriously highly recommend this over a massive high chair that they outgrow quickly. 
  • Options
    @marionberry19 I had to google both these items as I wasn't familiar with them. I don't know about the bloom bouncer, but it looks similar to baby bjorn. What I like about baby bjorn one is it allows the baby to kick their legs against the foot rest area, which causes the seat to bounce on its own. There's no vibration like the bloom one has it seems. Baby bjorn also has 3 positions of the seat and folds flat so can easily be taken on the go. I'd prop it up on my kitchen island while I was cooking/washing dishes/etc and the baby was always in my line of sight. I think it's cheaper than bloom also and you can always get it with 20% off at buy buy baby too. 

As for the booster seat, it looks like there are a lot of similar options to the mamas and papas...was that one different somehow? 

Speaking of high chairs vs seats...this might be an UO, but we barely used a high chair for my 2nd. We have the Peg Perego Siesta since my 1st, which we used often for him and it's great, but for my 2nd decided to go with a floating one that we attach to our island. We have a more narrow/long kitchen with a pretty long island in the middle that doubles as our table we sit around, so we got the Inglesina Fast Table Chair and it's one of my favorite items as it takes no extra space in the kitchen, is machine washable and can easily be taken off when needed. My daughter still uses it for her meals   (https://www.amazon.com/Inglesina-Fast-Table-Chair-Award-Winning/dp/B00IOGIO8M/ref=asc_df_B00IOGIM9S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312111868490&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16811471959440904781&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004148&hvtargid=pla-381700246542&th=1)

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• Options
    @romeoandjuliet146 maybe that’s the one we have, the essential! Whatever it is it’s great! Haha. I would have returned it too, ew. 
  • Options
    @Tulips29 I just really loved my mamas and papas seat with my son and this one is basically the exact same. Except this one can also sit on the ground and his couldn’t. I’m very particular about baby products unfortunately and once I set my eye on something it’s hard for me to waiver from that.  
  • Options
    @tulips29 our daughter had gas-induced colic and we tried everything. Could never get the windi to work but wanted it to really bad!
  • Options
    binxybabybinxybaby member
    edited February 2022
    Things I felt I really NEEDED and the ones I wish I had more of:
    - Burp Cloths (there is no such thing as too many)
    - Boppy (tummy time on this always got the gas out and I used it for BFing too)
    - Rock n Play (don't come for me...I loved that thing)
    - Graco Pack n Play
    - Jumping thingy for the doorway
    - Chicco Viaro Stroller (great storage, good off-roading)
    - Mam pacifiers
    - Dohm sound machine
    - Summer Infant baby bath made for multiple baby ages
    - Something to prop baby up when they get a little older and bored of staring at the ceiling (bumbo)
    - Tons of cheap thin blankets to separate kiddo from the floor a little (Menards Black Friday $1 blankets for us)
    - Solly wrap and Tula carrier (loved both)
    - Changing pad liners (don't want to change changing pad cover with EVERY poopy diaper)
    - Zippers
    - Car mirror (peace of mind and to catch cute moments)
    - Sous Vide (warm baby bottle and cook dinner at same time...kidding, but we did warm bottles with sous vide)
    - Scissors for cutting up food if you BLW
    - Aveeno Baby Gentle Bath (still using 3 yrs later)

Things I didn't like/didn't need:
    - Wipe Warmer (was it necessary? No.)
    - Oxo Tot Sprout high chair (hate this thing -- why so many crevices?)
    - Shoes until he was over 15 months
    - Buttons and snaps
    - Teethers (couldn't find any he liked)

Also adding list of things I plan to try with Baby #2:
    - Shoosher
    - Fisher Price Sit-Me-Up seat
    - Stroller Fan
    - Mat for under highchair (live in non-dog home)
    - Summer My Bath Seat (so Son and Baby #2 can bathe together)
    - Hollow Teething Tubes

Also...tip. Bassinets and baby holders that have vibrate function EAT batteries. Get the corded version.
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Options
    @binxybaby Good idea about the mat under the high chair. I will get one for next time.
  • Options
    @binxybaby The Fisher Price Sit-Me-Up was our first "high chair"! She loved it and we could keep her on the island for easy feeding. Def recommend! 

My recommendations (some great ones made already!)
    I love the House of Noa. We have their playmat that looks very convincingly like a rug and, in my opinion, what sets it apart from other alternatives is the fact that you can make it whatever size you want. Most other play mats are one size fits all, i.e. just 4x6. I also love their "picnic mat" that we use for EVERYTHING. Aside from picnics, it's our craft mat, water play mat, messy things like Easter egg decorating and jack-o-lantern carving mat,  slime mat, etc. etc. etc. We've used it so much. 

- House of Noa Playmat: https://www.thehouseofnoa.com/collections/play-mats/products/little-nomad-play-mat-heirloom?variant=40487225950255
    - House of Noa Picnic mat: https://www.thehouseofnoa.com/collections/picnic-mats/products/everly-portable-mat-celestial-1?variant=39293969072175
    - Dohm sound machine - our daughter still sleeps with it at 3
    - Mustela face moisturizer and body/hair wash - we used the wash on her hair until it got pretty long at 2 years+ and switched to Paul Mitchell's baby shampoo, which I also like
    - Aiden & Anais burpy bibs - love that they can be a burp cloth and a wearable bib. Saved many an outfit for us
    - Pottery Barn Kids chamois crib sheet and changing pad cover - so cozy and soft for the winter
    - Boudreaux's butt paste - after going through a bunch of different creams, this one worked and has never let us down
    - Wyze camera
    - Freshly Picked backpack diaper bag - stylish and functional, always got compliments on it https://www.nordstrom.com/s/freshly-picked-water-resistant-convertible-diaper-backpack/5051423?country=US&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxoiQBhCRARIsAPsvo-z02UxhdeoSu2GQHimGw4umiMbwaTIuIPYiAXnfkABeWFGqhH8InjsaAqEQEALw_wcB

Things that did not work for us: 
    - Dr. Brown's bottles - did not help with our colicky daughter's gas pains at all. Recommend the Playtex drop ins instead so you can squeeze every bit of air out of the bottle
    - Ergobaby carrier - I had high hopes that baby wearing would be my thing but alas it was not. Our daughter seemed to get too hot in this. I haven't given up on my baby wearing hopes and am trying a Tula, Baby Bjorn and Moby wrap this time around to see if they work better for us
    - Safety 1st baby monitor - piece of junk. Replaced with a $30 Wyze camera and never looked back!
    - Owlet smart sock 2 - purchased after one of my close friends had a baby who passed away of SIDS :( I was hoping it would provide peace of mind but it never seemed to fit our daughter correctly and caused more anxiety than comfort. Stopped using it after a week or so.
    - Janie & Jack clothes - most of the items I bought don't wash up very well and are fussy, requiring ironing or even dry cleaning. I much prefer Gap Kids and Crew Cuts (now that our daughter is older)
    - Carter's clothes - just did not seem to ever fit right and often thin. Their jammies are great for babies though!
    - Uppababy stroller - nothing wrong with it per se and I do like the larger storage compartment at the bottom for when we go places like the zoo, but generally speaking I think you can get by with an option like the Chicco Bravo system for a fraction of the cost and a similar experience, unless you're a hardcore stroller user
  • Options
    @idreamofginny yes with the Boudreaux's butt paste! We’ve tried others and always go back. 
  • Options
    binxybabybinxybaby member
    edited February 2022
    Oooh another thought for FTMs! Correct me if I'm wrong, STMs(+), but there are two types of diaper cream. There's the petroleum-based (A&D) and the zinc-oxide kind (Desitin). The petroleum-based creates more of a barrier to protect baby's bum, while the zinc-oxide is more of a treatment. I felt like the petroleum-based were nice for before baby starts eating lots of foods, while the zinc-oxide were better once baby was consuming lots of foods. Also, diaper cream repels liquids so if it gets on the diaper, you may get more leaks, blowouts, etc.
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Options
    @idreamofginny Oh Carter's clothes! I always just assumed they were a size smaller than they said and that helped a bit.
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • Options
    Re: Carter's clothing - it's great for slimmer babies. My son was not chunky and carter's clothing fit him best. Gap was always HUGE on him. There needs to be a guide for baby clothing relative to their size/build. 

Hanna Anderson pajamas - the hype is real! The best pajamas I've ever gotten. I tend to get them on sale and they have them often as paying $40 for a set they outgrow quickly is not something I want to do. But they wash really well, keep their shape and are excellent quality. Also, worth getting for older kids. My son is 5 and has been wearing his size 4/5 pajamas for over a year now and they are still like new. 

I'd love a recommendation for a good baby monitor. We used motorola previously but it craps out after a while and keeps losing connection to wifi between rooms, which is annoying as it beeps non stop. Not looking for anything fancy or expensive as it'll be used for like a year mainly. We have Nest cameras in kids rooms, but I want something with a mobile monitor, clear picture and good sound. If it has an app I can view on the phone is a plus, but not necessary at this point. Anyone have any good recommendations? 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...