July 2022 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Pregnancy Books/apps

We're a little behind on our product spotlights. Whoops!

Share you favorite pregnancy books and apps!
*TW* History:
Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
Repeat labs in 8 weeks
Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
TTC put on pause

Re: Product Spotlight: Pregnancy Books/apps

• Options
    I think we talked about apps already. I have Ovia and Pregnancy+. Mostly to keep track of how far along I am, and I like to read the fun facts about the babies development.
    As far as books, I just rented a bunch from the library. I don't remember if I actually made it all the way through any of them. But I do remember the clinic giving out pamphlets and booklets at nearly every appointment.
    The one book I did read most of was The Happiest Baby on the Block. 
    *TW* TTC history
    Me:32 DH:31
    Married: 8/2015

TTC #1: 4/2017
    Testing: HSG, U/S, BW, and DH's SA all normal
    DX: Unexplained
    8/2018: Clomid + TI = BFN
    9/2018: Clomid + TI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2018: Clomid + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    12/2018: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone \\ Cancelled due to cyst
    1/2019: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD Sept 30th, 2019
    10/7/2019: Healthy baby boy!

TTC #2: 12/2020
    2/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    3/2021: Letrozole + TI = BFN
    4/2021: Surprise! Natural BFP! \\ EDD Jan 6th, 2022 \\ Chemical, betas not rising
    8/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    9/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    10/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFN
    11/2021: Letrozole + IUI + Progesterone = BFP! \\ EDD July 29th, 2022

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bumblebee0210 maybe it's totally not my place to say this as a FTM as I haven't read a single baby book, but based on the title, doesn't Expecting Better kind of "discredit" some of what is written in the What to Expect When You're Expecting book?

Or am I confusing that with a different book. Maybe one TTC related 🤷‍♀️
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle

Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Options
    I agree that Expecting Better and Cribsheet by Emily Oster were great!

Baby Bargains by Denise and Alan Fields was a really great resource as a FTM trying to pick out baby gear. 

The Bump and What to Expect are the two apps I use while pregnant. 
  • Options
    I read Expecting Better as well and loved it. 

I use the Bump, Ovia, and (just downloaded this week) BabyCenter. No offense to anyone on the other two apps, but I like the community here better. I feel like it’s less judgmental. I mostly use the other two for fun baby facts and the 3D weekly baby images. 
  • Options
    @bumblebee0210 that sounds similar to their reasoning for why you should avoid retinol or something.... Ingesting it orally has been found to be bad so they're assuming the same when applied topically in a skincare product it will be too but there aren't any good studies about it!

My friend and I were talking about lunch meats the other day because it was 3 hours after having a sub sandwich at work before I was like "whoops I just had lunch meat" haha. She has a friend that couldn't eat anything but Jimmy John's in her 1st tri because it was the only thing she could keep down. And that friend has a perfectly healthy 8 year old so the risks are just risks. They're not a definite means to a bad outcome.

I've already had herbal teas a few times in early pregnancy because I really wasn't thinking about it and that's supposedly bad. Which I think just means there are no good studies showing that's okay.

And think too - how many women go through pregnancy not even knowing their pregnant and end up with healthy babies? You can do all the right things or wrong things and end up with a good or bad outcome. There's only a few true hard and fast rules right?
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Options

I've already had herbal teas a few times in early pregnancy because I really wasn't thinking about it and that's supposedly bad. Which I think just means there are no good studies showing that's okay.

The tea thing drives me crazy. "Don't drink herbal tea because some herbs may be dangerous to the baby". Totally correct, but there are very few! You can do a google search and figure out if the herbs in your specific sleepy time tea are going to do anything wrong. Let me enjoy my freaking tea.
    34 year old mama of a 4 year old girl.
    1st birth through years of trying and the wonder drug letrozole.
    Second a great surprise.

• Options
    @moreamoozzarella most of mine seem to be just fruity teas. But I guess I better check what else is in it since they do tend to have hibiscus which I know is on the no list. I'll have to spend some time making that list of no no ingredients and then compare when I finally have the chance.
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • Options
    With my first pregnancy I read The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant, which really helped with the whole conception process. Then during my pregnancy: Expecting Better. Expecting Better was brilliant for easing pregnancy anxiety through knowledge. Bringing Up Bebe has been pretty great for post-birth, if for nothing else than the concept of "the pause." Another post-birth book that's really helped was the Wonder Weeks- it helped us to gain a good understanding of why she would suddenly become super fussy. I also integrate a bunch of professional pediatric accounts into my Instagram scrolling- car seat, sleep, feeding, OT, speech, Montessori, etc for daily tips during my social scrolling. I've learned a lot from them! 
  • Options
    I read Bringing Up Bèbè as well and loved it (though her take on men being helpless is a bit antiquated). My big takeaway whilst pregnant is being mindful of the quality and amount of food I eat and to get plenty of exercise. We are NOT “eating for two” here, folks…
  • Options
    Does anyone have a good resource for information about hypnobirthing? I'm interested in learning more, but when I looked up hypnobabies I saw that it is a class with a fee. I'm looking more for a book or ideally a podcast/a way to listen to hypnobirthing techniques. Not sure I'm ready to spend a lot of money on it, am just curious at this point. 
  • Options
    @zinnia19 I did a quick google search and it looks like there's a whole bunch of hypnobirthing podcasts. I might just add some of these to my own podcast list.

This reminds me that I need to look at those online courses that are free through the medical group. I'm so behind on all this stuff gah!
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause