August 2022 Moms
Options

Maternity Leave Discussion

I hope this is okay for a stand-alone thread. If it’s not, let me know and I’ll take it to the questions thread! No hard feelings :) 

For those that are working, what is your maternity leave policy? and how big is your company? How much time will you be taking? Paid? Unpaid? Will you work right up until you go into labor or take off a bit beforehand? Anything else you plan to do to prep your team for your absence?

Feel free to include policies from previous companies too if you’d like. I think it will be interesting to compare amongst the group! 

Re: Maternity Leave Discussion

• Options
    @and_peggy lol, perfect answer 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My company is tiny. There are 3 of us, soon to be 4. We have no policy. I told one of my partners today (the one who is the owner or the company), and he’s thrilled and was also like “okay sooooo guess you’ll be coming up with your own maternity leave policy then?” So, here we are. 
  • Options
    I will have 12 weeks paid leave, but not at my full wage, I think at like 60%. I do not plan on going back to work until after I graduate nursing school, and I will be taking leave about 6 weeks before my due date. I am truly counting down the days until I can quit my h3ll h0l3 of a job. There’s no way I could mentally make it up until the due date!

I don’t believe my partner will be taking paternity leave, he works from home and doesn’t want to take the pay cut (understandably since he will be covering all the expenses). 
  • Options
    One year!? I'm guessing you must not live in the US. Your work sounds very nice. Enjoy your leave!
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I will have 6 weeks of short term disability paid at 60%. Then my work started offed 2 weeks paid at our full amount. I will take 12 weeks and the rest will be PTO time. I bought pto this year to have enough. 
  • Options
    I’m with @and_peggy… I have three terrorists so there’s no time off for me. But MH gets 7 weeks of paid time off right now and it may be 12 by this summer. Depends on when the policy goes into effect and if they backdate it like they did last time. I’m hoping for the 12 week policy that can be spread out actually. But either way, I know we are very fortunate for him to have that time and it is so needed. I’m also waiting on whether we will be moving this summer or not… because that changes what we do as far as when he takes his paternity leave. 
  • Options
    @geshem I’m also a teacher and my due date is early August, so I totally hear your concerns. Telling them as soon as you feel comfortable is a good idea. Nowadays schools are losing so many teachers, that I think you won’t have a problem coming back in the fall/winter.
    with my 1st I only had 3 months of unpaid leave and it was rough going back. Now I’m thinking of taking a 6 month personal leave bc I’ll have my hands full with a newborn and toddler. But it’ll be challenging financially. Good luck to all! 
  • Options
    darkrose88darkrose88 member
    edited January 2022
    With DS I got 6 weeks of STD @ 100%, and then was able to take 4 weeks of PTO off, for a total of 10 weeks fully paid leave. It was a pretty great, except I had DS in January so had no PTO the rest of the year and was pretty miserable having no time off at all. Sadly, that company was sold, and as I'm the sole income provider for my family, I made the decision to leave as I was worried about layoffs.

My current place offers STD @ 80% for 6 weeks, 2 weeks of 100% pay for maternity leave, and then any other time I'd need to use PTO. I am fully remote, so I'm leaning on only taking the 8 paid weeks, and then going back to work. I'm saving up for the time I'm at 80% and also for additional weeks if I decide I need extra time with baby as we get closer. 
  • Options
    I think I might have it pretty lucky…we get 20 weeks paid maternity and 5 weeks additional unpaid as optional. 

My husband works for a diff company but he gets  20 weeks paternity

We both work in design/tech 
  • Options
    bridgiebee82bridgiebee82 member
    edited January 2022
    Well, I didn't check my school mailbox on Friday before leaving. Apparently our letters of intent to return are in there and due back by January 31. I guess I have to talk to my principal before then. I'm really frustrated because I wasn't anticipating getting this letter until April. I know it's hard to find teachers right now, but I'm at a whole new level of anxious. We have a fantastic faculty. I love where I work. It's the first school I've ever felt home. But I know I don't make enough money there for childcare, and my principal has a tendency to flip her switch if you do something she doesn't like. These aren't contracts, but now I worry that she will be treating me differently. That's a long time to go through that, and I even left a school midyear because the principal was harassing me. 

ETA: I guess this could have gone in the venting thread instead. 
  • Options
    @bridgiebee82 that is really strange. My spouse teaches at a Catholic high school and they have contract signing day in June - that’s it. If you don’t intend to come back, you can tell the principal that on contract signing day and they still have the whole summer to hire your replacement (which is a breeze compared to teachers giving two weeks notice mid-year). It seems strange that they would ask you that this year of all years when teachers are constantly quitting and there are more vacancies in higher paying public schools that they would ask you this now. What do they expect to do with the extra four months? It makes no sense, and if I were you and worried about treatment, I would say I did intend to return after 12 weeks maternity leave, and then at contract time just say I changed my mind. You *could* still be considering that option. 
  • Options
    @bridgiebee82, I agree with @wisewitch222… you can “consider” that option until it’s time to actually sign the contracts. I even know people who changed their minds about going back on week 10 of their 12 weeks of time home with baby. 
  • Options
    @bridgiebee82 I don't gave experience in the education field. But like @mdfarmchick mentioned earlier, I 100% know ladies who waited until week 10 of maternity leave to turn in their 2 week notice. Actually one of my really close friends did this. She had plans to return, including childcare lined up, and then towards the end of her leave decided that wasn't the life she wanted. It is not an uncommon practice in the industries I've worked in. 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    I am planning on taking 15 weeks! My company is pretty dead at the end of the year, so coming back fresh Jan 1 is perfect. It will be a mix of fully paid, then partial. Knowing that in advance, we have saved plenty to cover the difference.

My husband will then take a few weeks in the new year + our in-laws help to delay day care start to February when baby is 6 mo. That is my dream! 

FYI I have heard payouts can be very delayed if you have to file for short term disability through work (at least we do in NJ). Hope that's helpful for someone out there! 
  • Options
    @michelle081822 I live in NJ but I work in Philly at a Catholic school. I've been trying to find the maternity leave guidelines for the Archdiocese to no avail. MH's job has a lot of overtime coming up and he has seniority so we are hoping to save up a bunch too.
  • Options
    Just bumping this 👊🏻
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    I get 12 weeks of unpaid maternity leave, and have to use up my sick days first. LOL MH gets 6 weeks paid paternity leave. I just can't. 
  • Options
    @bridgiebee82 ugh, I'm so sorry. I'm also surprised you don't have any kind of short term disability plan. I thought most companies offered that. 
  • Options
    My husband found out this week that their parental leave is very loosely written and he can have 16 weeks parental leave, which is fantastic, but now I'm jealous because I will only have 12! I realize we are both very lucky in this though, so I can't complain, just jealous that he somehow gets more time than I do!
  • Options
    I know I’m late to the party on this thread, but wanted to chime in! I work in a small office (5 people). I get 6 weeks paid and can take up to an additional 6 weeks unpaid. I took 9 weeks with my first baby and my boss wound up paying the entire 9 weeks- my daughter was in the NICU 6 weeks and my boss really is a great guy. Haven’t really sat down and discussed what we will do this time, but I would be fine with the 9 weeks again. My husband works from home (journalist) with a flexible schedule and an understanding boss so we are definitely luckier than a lot of people.