June 2022 Moms

First Movements

Hi hi,
FTM, just finishing my 17th week. Waiting for that elusive first movement/quickening. Maybe I’ve felt it, or maybe it’s just been itchy skin?!

I’d love if you all shared a) what week you first felt movement and b) what it felt like to you c) FTM/STM etc 

Thank you!

Re: First Movements

• @mel2457 I am a FTM as well, entering 17th week and totally agree with you on eagerly waiting to feel those baby moves. So far my stomach just makes noises and I feel those are just telling me how hungry I am, lol. I would also love to know how the other mamas have felt about this.
  • Yes exactly haha
  • Loading the player...
  • STM here. I felt my first at 13 weeks, which is absolutely insane. He was an active dude. I'll be 15 weeks this Sunday and haven't felt this kiddo yet. Hoping to in the next couple weeks. The best way I can describe the early moments is like flutters.
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • STM and almost 16 weeks. I can feel this baby move but it’s not super regular. I could see my first move on the outside by 18 weeks so I’m hoping this one follows suit. 
  • Funny story I am 14 weeks and Today I was wearing a new sweatshirt with a giant front pocket and started feeling a light flutter… I thought is this the baby moving for the first time?? LOL no it turns out it was just my cell phone on vibrate! 

As a second time mom however I can say that I am enjoying the freedom of not feeling the baby move, if that makes sense? Because it was uncomfortable for me last time and I got a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions with them. 

• FTM and started feeling flutters around 15 weeks! Mostly very early morning or late at night at first but now (17 weeks) a few times throughout the day. 
  • STM, 15 weeks. I keep thinking I feel movements, but only once in a while when I bend in a certain way or there's pressure on my belly.
    Honestly I'm looking forward to more frequent movement. No matter how hard I try I keep forgetting to think of this baby as a baby, even though I now know the sex and he's only 25 or so weeks away from being here. I think I'm too stressed out about my toddler to fathom it.
  • STM, 16 weeks. I think I’ve been feeling them for a couple of weeks now but I definitely felt them last night. They seem to pop up when I’m laying in bed but only on one side. 
  • TTM here. I've felt the 1st and 2nd kid by around 18ish weeks or so. Initially it felt like little flutters/gas bubbles but then starting feeling like a little fish swimming by. I've had a few "thump"-like feelings here and there, mostly when I lay on my side at night. The other day I felt a clear one that I thought hmmm is that it? But I'm still not 100% sure. 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• STM here, I started feeling the flutters a few weeks ago, probably around 14 weeks which is still early! It's not terribly consistent and sometimes I go a few days without feeling them (anterior placenta makes it harder) but for me, it feels like someone is lightly poking me from the inside :) 
  • Updating my response to this. STM. Felt my first at 13 weeks and my 2nd at 15+1.
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • I started feeling the second at 13 weeks and my first at 17 weeks. I am now 19 weeks and am feeling straight up kicks. They are strong and I love it but so nervous for a few weeks from now when he is bigger and stronger. 
  • This is my third pregnancy and I’ve been feeling flutters since week 15. I’m 17 weeks now and can definitely feel little kicks in there. I notice them after I eat while relaxing on the couch. I tried to have my husband feel them but he couldn’t. The kicks are too soft to be felt externally. I’m savoring these little kicks now as I know they’ll intensify and can be quite uncomfortable (especially while trying to fall asleep!). 

For my first two pregnancies, I began feeling flutters around this time. 

Looking forward to feeling baby’s hiccups too. I think it’s so cool! 
  • This child is so active at bedtime.  I'm sure it's because I'm laying down and that's when I feel it best right now, but holy smokes.  Am I the only one that isn't a huge fan of baby kicks (especially as they get bigger).  They make me feel sick.  My second used to take me on roller coaster rides basically and my stomach would drop.  It made me feel awful all the time.  His personality certainly matches his enthusiastic/unending movements.  So I feel like I'm on edge for bigger movements anticipating to feel yucky.  I mean, it's exciting to feel them at first, but baby kicks don't make me nostalgic or anything.  They make me feel like everything is okay but other than that....don't enjoy feel like my insides are getting rearranged. (Sorry, Yikes.  I enjoy approximately zero things about being pregnant.)
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @bww_0331 I like them at first, but then they get annoying. I also hate that rollercoaster stomach feeling. I second the movements matching the personality. My first is so chill, the second is very active and rough, the third sort of in between. I knew they were all going to be that way by how they moved in me. Hoping this baby is another chill one!   
  • @bww_0331 you’re not alone! I don’t like the baby kicks or movements either. The best way for me to explain it is you know how they talk about being “touched out” after the baby is born? It’s like that but internal. Mama wants some alone time. 
  • @bww_0331 I love them at first but by then end they just hurt and make me lose so much sleep. I still like them for the security of knowing everything is okay. But I don't think they are super fun like some people. Although I did miss them after baby was born last time.
  • @bww_0331 I love them. My son was crazy active like turned back around during active labor and a broken rib. But how active he was was super fun for me especially since I never had to count kicks as he never stopped moving.  
  • Okay everyone I knew I had been seeing her kick from the outside for a few days now but I got it on video so now I have evidence. 17 weeks and she’s already very strong 
  • @marionberry19 that's amazing you're already seeing outside kicks! 

I found out that I have anterior placenta, so my kicks will be less noticeable and OB said I may still not feel them for a few weeks of feel them very faintly. Kinda bummed, I love the reassurance of the kicks. 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• @marionberry19 Holy cow, put that kid in soccer camp as soon as they can walk!

I could use some reassurance. Even though I rationally know it makes sense my bump got smaller after hours of vomiting and basically not eating for two days, it’s still psyching me out a bit.
  • @pinkkillersheep my baby is kicking around like a lunatic and my bump is smaller than it was at 10 weeks I’m assuming from lack of bloating as well as weight loss from constantly being sick. Our bodies grow and change and fluctuate. However, call your OB and see if you can get in to check on the heartbeat if you are truly worried something might be wrong. 
  • @pinkkillersheep I keep hearing that mom knows best and so I agree that if you’re worried - you should check on it. No downside to that. But just for the record I don’t feel anything in my belly yet. I thought I felt one little twinge but it could’ve been anything. I’m really excited to feel her soon but I think it’s normal not to feel anything yet.
  • @shoarmie99 it’s very normal to not feel anything yet. Especially if you have an anterior placenta because baby is kicking the placenta and not your uterine wall so it’s absorbing the shock. Or if baby stays facing your spine you won’t feel the kicks either. 
  • STM - I have felt a few flutters here and there starting at around week 14-15. However, nothing consistent nor powerful. I’m 19 weeks tomorrow, and still wondering when the kicks will be more evident and constant. 
  • I am not really feeling many kicks yet. I have felt some, but they are super sporadic. This kid looked pretty active on ultrasound, but maybe not a strong kicker? I'm 16 + 4.
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • FTM I felt my first kick about a week ago at 18 weeks. Was just in the wrong place to be gas or digestion movement. Haven't felt anything else since then. My Dr. Said my placenta is anteriorly attached so I won't feel as much as soon as many others. 
  • I finally think I felt movement I can’t explain away as something else today. 20 weeks and felt like an internal muscle spasm but not frequent enough for an actual one. 
  • I think I felt something yesterday - 17w4d. I had been sitting at my desk for several hours and then got up suddenly and felt three little spasms/twitches to the right and a little below my belly button. That was it, but the rapidness/randomness of them combined with my sudden movement makes me think maybe I woke her up. Have not felt anything else before or since. 
  • 8 very obvious kicks this morning before the sun came up!! 5th time mom but first high risk pregnancy. I cried tears of joy and relief. It makes me think she is probably most active when I'm sleeping because my last one could already be felt from the outside at this point (18 weeks).