June 2022 Moms

Would you change your OB?

Alright guys. I’m varying shades of irritated at my OB/OB’s office. What would it take for you to change your doctor? 

Re: Would you change your OB?

• I think it would depend on what is going on.  For me it would take a lot to change but there also aren't a ton of options where I am.  How long have you been with them? What is going on with your OB? What is specific to the office?
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Literally the slightest inconvenience/ disgruntlement that I could experience.  I’m already driving 2 hours to see them if they’re not a shining star they’re fired. If I were delivering locally it would take a lot because I would then have to go out of the area(before he retired our entire town only had 1) 
  • Loading the player...
  • I would change if I didn't trust them to make the best choices for me and baby and/or if they just made me uncomfortable. I need to trust them to take the best care of us and to make feel comfortable in the process.
  • I’ve had my OB for 12 years-ish. This is my second pregnancy with them. I haven’t called or asked for additional diagnostics or checkups until yesterday. It took three phone calls for them to finally say “sure, we can get you in to check the heart beat for peace of mind.” Why did it take three calls?
  • @fluteling i would probably mention my concern to them at the appt and see how they respond and then decide if it they are who you want to stick with. I would be extremely bothered if I were you. 
  • @ournextadventure yep, that’s the current plan. I asked my local friend if she liked her OB, and her actual response was “meh”.
    So I don’t know that changing is in the cards just because I’m more of a better the devil you know than the one you don’t. 
  • binxybabybinxybaby member
    edited January 2022
    I changed mine last pregnancy when he told me I needed to watch my weight after I gained 4 lbs in one week. This was at 16 weeks after I had lost weight during my first trimester and was only 1-2 lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight. This was directly after his medical assistant made some really insensitive, inappropriate comments about my choice to find out gender using the Natera test. So, I switched right then. Spent the rest of my ptegnancy with a different OB who was fine, but the OB who delivered was fantastic so he's my OB for this baby lol

I'm of the opinion that if you don't like them, change em!
    Pregnancy TickerSaveSave
  • @binxybaby the first guys sounds like a peach 🤬
  • I kind of weigh and good vs bad because at the end of the day I would be willing to put up with some things in order to have a good/safe delivery and know I'm in good hands. My OB for both kids is very old school, his office staff was OK, he was very blunt in some of his commentary, was a 30 min drive to a diff city and had no u/s machines in his office so I had to go to a diff place for that. Plus he constantly had 30-60 min wait in his office because he was always so booked. BUT he was amazing with delivery, took all precautions and I decided all the other issues were worth it in the end. He helped when I had issues each time and I had a great experience/recovery both times with him. He's out on medical leave now unfortunately so I was forced to find a new OB, and found one close to home but I don't know him and how he is with deliveries aside from reviews I read. 

I think in your instance, I would discuss issues with the doctor and see how he responds. Perhaps it's the issue with the office staff and he can address with them directly to ensure it doesn't happen again. If he's good with delivery and you trust him, I'd probably stick it out. 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• I have a good OB and a bad OB at the same practice and it's basically a coin flip which one I'm able to get an appointment with. Most of my appointments this pregnancy have been with bad OB, but next month I get to see good OB!
  • 100% yes. I went through 3 for my first pregnancy. In my defense, I was assigned the first OB, and the one I wanted (the only midwife on staff), had a waiting list, so I switched when I could get her. But still, if you aren’t comfortable now, imagine what birth is going to be like 😕 I went through a big hospital system with my first, so I didn’t end up with the same midwife I saw during my pregnancy, but this pregnancy I’m at a birth center and know exactly who my midwife will be, since I’ve met them all at various appointments.