Infertility

4 failed transfers

Hi there, 

I have a 1 year old son, conceived through IVF with my second ever transfer. When he was 6 months I started transfers again. 4 since him, 2 were PGT tested normal and none have even implanted. I had a saline sonogram and my uterus looks normal, I had an ERA and my lining is receptive, my bacteria levels are normal and no sign of endometritis. 

My question is has anyone ever had multiple failures with no particulate reason and gone on to have success ? I have a 5th lined up for the end of January. That one is also PGT tested. 

Re: 4 failed transfers

• I have no advice- i am sorry for your losses we just had a failed transfer with no explanation- we had genetically tested embryo of 4AB. 
  • Yes! I had 3 failed transfers and we added in steroids to calm my immune system down as we thought maybe that was why I wasn't holding onto the pregnancies.   I believe I was on it till I was 6 weeks.  This was my 4th transfer and we put 2 in this time and one of those embryos split into identical triplets.  Only 2 survived the split and now we are 25 weeks with twin girls.  I also want to say that we used Donor Eggs, so these were super healthy young 28 year old eggs.  We basically were told that we were on the side of a coin flip as there is a 60% chance of it working.  I know other girls I follow on instagram who have been through a really rough journey with multiple failed transfers and went on to have testing done to look for NK cells and ended up on infusions of immunoglobulin and other protocols to hold on to a pregnancy.  Im sorry you are having such a hard time!

39 years old   DH 41.  Sperm looks great.  We live in San Diego  
    Me:  ****TW loss mentioned***
    MTHFR Homozygous 677TT (dx 2016)
    hypothyroid
    8/2018           Off birth control
    11/29/2018    CP
    2/10/2019.    CP
    3/8/2019        Saw fertility doctor, AFC 5, labs drawn
    3/14/2019      Pregnant
    4/18/2019      9 week ultrasound  MM , stopped growing at 6 weeks, no HB.  D&C 
    5/2/2019       Return to fertility doctor, labs show AMH 0.27. Diminished Ovarian Reserve
                         1st of 3 Egg retrievals planned tentatively for July
    6/29/2019     started Antagonist Protocol 
    7/12/2019     First egg retrieval, only retrieved one egg and fell apart immediately, poor quality.
    8/7/2019.      Second cycle (follicular antagonist) canceled on day 5 of stims when a very large lead follicle grew out of nowhere.
    11/8/2019.    Second Egg retrieval with Lupron Flare Protocol.  2 eggs retrieved, fertilized with ICSI but no reaction occurred at all.                       Told I will never have my own babies with my eggs.
    12/20/2019    ERA - pre-receptive.  Needed 24 hours more of progesterone
    2/2020          CP
     3/2/2020     Egg donor cycle in Prague at Unica Clinic, 2 AA embryos, 1 transfer, 1 on ice. BFN.  Due to pandemic, we could not return to Prague and will abandon our remaining embryo.
    4/20/2020.  BFP trying on our own! 
    06/04/2020   After HBs at 7 and 9 weeks, MM at 10 weeks 3 days.  D&C, Hemorrhaged out 1 liter of blood from uterine artery rupture during procedure.     Spent 1 night in the hospital with a balloon tamponade in my uterus. Baby was mosaic Trisomy 21.
    8/2020.  Moving forward with Donor Egg cycle at Utah Fertility Center and sharing a cycle with ladypOtter (Gina) I met on the Bump who was also supposed to go to Prague but couldn't.  
    9/26/2020 Donor retrieval of 26 eggs, 24 mature.  Split cycle so I have 12 eggs with all 12 fertilizing. 6 PGS normal 3 boys, 3 girls
    10/29/2020 Transfer day of  girl donor egg embryo.     BFP! First HCG 92.9. Then inappropriate rise, plateau and falling.  Possibly ectopic pregnancy.  ER visit with diagnosis of "pregnancy location unknown". CP
    1/19/2021 Embryos shipped from Utah to my local clinic, starting prednisone for anti-histamine protocol. 
    2/26/2021 FET girl embryo BFP. Betas 62, 139, 386! HB at 6 weeks, then baby stopped growing at 8 week check up with weak HB measuring 6 weeks 4 days.  MM at 9 weeks. D&C 4/15/21
    7/13/2021 FET boy and girl embryos. First beta 10dp5dt 177, 14dp5dt 1631, 16dp5dt 6809. Pregnant with Identical triplets.  At 9 weeks, Baby C no longer had a heart beat. Identical Twin Girls.   Pregnancy complicated by TRAP Sequence with baby C an Acardiac fetus still receiving blood flow being pumped to it by other girls.  Referred to UCSF at 18 weeks for consultation.  No intervention needed at this time
    2/18/22 After a failed NST, at 34 weeks 1 day, Charlotte born 4lb 4oz and Lily born 4lbs 10 oz.  Our hearts are complete.  Baby girls in NICU to grow and learn to eat.
    History in Spoiler
  • Loading the player...
  • At this point (3+ failed transfers with normal embryos), I would suggest looking for a second opinion. My RE does steroids as part of his standard protocol because it can't really hurt things (provided you can live with the side effects) and it might help if there is an immune issue. He is of the opinion that you might as well throw in the kitchen sink unless there is some glaring reason not to. 
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• @emily6791 100% check if there are immune issues (seriously check out my siggy for my crazy story).

After my 1 failed transfer we did ERA and ReceptivaDX. All normal/receptive. The recommendation was to go gluten and dairy free for 3 months prior to transferring another embryo. Covid then happened so we cancelled the transfer and tried on our own for a while. I went to a different RE for a 2nd opinion and found out from them I wasn't immune to measles so they suggested getting the 2 doses before doing another transfer. And guess what? I got pregnant in the cycle that I had the first dose (*tw* but MC at 8 weeks *end tw*) so I was suspicious from there that my body isn't doing the proper immune response to allow implanation. We have no way of knowing if the MC was related to the vaccine causing issues.

I eventually joined a FB group this year for reproductive immunology support. If you can afford to see an RI I totally recommend, but the wait list can be long to see one. They did so much testing (it can get very pricey), but we found out via biopsy that my lining does, in fact, not allow implantation due to my immune system as well as finding out I have antibodies that attack my own body and thereby any embryo trying to implant. This is what I believe to be the real cause for my MC last year.

The treatment based on the biopsy was an endo scratch and the biopsy itself sort of counts as one and I actually got pregnant the cycle immediately following the biopsy! They had to quickly put me on an immunosuppressant and a few other meds since I was supposed to be TTA but I'm current 10w4d with our rainbow baby and everything is going amazing.

So essentially I have autoimmune issues but they don't present themselves in any way so all this time I've never known but that it affects my reproductive system.

Immunology issues can be quite common with those dealing with secondary IF from what I have seen from other's posts in the FB group I mentioned. GL!
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • I had 2 failed IVF cycles. Then 3rd time worked. I feel that I was not mentally ready for first 2. then I researched about mind/body connection and how to prepare. Well, third time worked. I strongly feel like the preparation was what I needed. Keep the faith.
  • emily6791emily6791 member
    edited January 2022
    @andreamm31 Thanks!! What did you add and at what dose??
  • @emily6791. I also went gluten and dairy free and took Chinese herbs specifically designed for me by a Dr of Chinese medicine.  I saw a functional med doctor who found high levels of inflammation in my body so that was why I did dairy and gluten free, I stopped alcohol months prior to that.   I did minimal sugar, no soda, and really had a clean diet for 3 months prior to transfer.   I hadn't drank alcohol in 6 months.  My fertility doctor put me on 10mg prednisone daily starting 3 weeks before my transfer.  I also did baby aspirin and she added lovenox in at transfer...
    But I did not have a blood clotting problem and we stopped at 5 weeks when I had a bleed.  I also put 2 embryos in this time,  which I have never done before.  

hypothyroid
    11/29/2018    CP
    2/10/2019.    CP
    3/14/2019      Pregnant
    5/2/2019       Return to fertility doctor, labs show AMH 0.27. Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    7/12/2019     First egg retrieval, only retrieved one egg and fell apart immediately, poor quality.
    8/7/2019.      Second cycle (follicular antagonist) canceled on day 5 of stims when a very large lead follicle grew out of nowhere.
    11/8/2019.    Second Egg retrieval with Lupron Flare Protocol.  2 eggs retrieved, fertilized with ICSI but no reaction occurred at all.                       Told I will never have my own babies with my eggs.
    2/2020          CP
     3/2/2020     Egg donor cycle in Prague at Unica Clinic, 2 AA embryos, 1 transfer, 1 on ice. BFN.  Due to pandemic, we could not return to Prague and will abandon our remaining embryo.
    06/04/2020   After HBs at 7 and 9 weeks, MM at 10 weeks 3 days.  D&C, Hemorrhaged out 1 liter of blood from uterine artery rupture during procedure.     Spent 1 night in the hospital with a balloon tamponade in my uterus. Baby was mosaic Trisomy 21.
    8/2020.  Moving forward with Donor Egg cycle at Utah Fertility Center and sharing a cycle with ladypOtter (Gina) I met on the Bump who was also supposed to go to Prague but couldn't.  
    9/26/2020 Donor retrieval of 26 eggs, 24 mature.  Split cycle so I have 12 eggs with all 12 fertilizing. 6 PGS normal 3 boys, 3 girls
    10/29/2020 Transfer day of  girl donor egg embryo.     BFP! First HCG 92.9. Then inappropriate rise, plateau and falling.  Possibly ectopic pregnancy.  ER visit with diagnosis of "pregnancy location unknown". CP
    1/19/2021 Embryos shipped from Utah to my local clinic, starting prednisone for anti-histamine protocol. 
    2/26/2021 FET girl embryo BFP. Betas 62, 139, 386! HB at 6 weeks, then baby stopped growing at 8 week check up with weak HB measuring 6 weeks 4 days.  MM at 9 weeks. D&C 4/15/21
    7/13/2021 FET boy and girl embryos. First beta 10dp5dt 177, 14dp5dt 1631, 16dp5dt 6809. Pregnant with Identical triplets.  At 9 weeks, Baby C no longer had a heart beat. Identical Twin Girls.   Pregnancy complicated by TRAP Sequence with baby C an Acardiac fetus still receiving blood flow being pumped to it by other girls.  Referred to UCSF at 18 weeks for consultation.  No intervention needed at this time
    2/18/22 After a failed NST, at 34 weeks 1 day, Charlotte born 4lb 4oz and Lily born 4lbs 10 oz.  Our hearts are complete.  Baby girls in NICU to grow and learn to eat.
    History in Spoiler
  • emily6791emily6791 member
    edited January 2022
    @andreamm31 thanks! My acupuncturist said she doesn’t want to give me herbs in case my fertility doctor wouldn’t support it. I am transferring 2 for the first time this time as well. I take aspirin and dexamethasone but a very small dose, it’s equal to about 4mg of prednisone. I am debating taking double for 3 days after transfer just in case I am having an immune response, since I don’t think my
    dose is strong enough. My doctor however had doubts with immune issues as a whole and wouldn’t increase the dose! I give up caffeine and alcohol for a month before transfer! I eat very little dairy in general, maybe a yogurt once a week and very rarely cheese. I have been eating clean since Christmas, I was not good at the holiday. I’m hoping everything I’m doing makes a difference this time. 
  • @emily6791 sounds like you are doing all the things!! Baby dust to you!!

hypothyroid
    11/29/2018    CP
    2/10/2019.    CP
    3/14/2019      Pregnant
    2/2020          CP
    History in Spoiler
  • I am so sorry to know about your losses. PGS NGS worked out for a few friends of mine. Alhough I am sorry to know it did not work out for you. Fingers crossed your doc will find the solution for you to get pregnant.