August 2022 Moms
Options

No Ultrasound yet

Good morning all first time on this board and new mother to be. When did everyone get there first ultrasound? I'm 9 weeks and still haven't received one from my doctor. Thanks in advance.

Re: No Ultrasound yet

• Options

Hello and welcome! If you haven’t done so, please read the “Read Before Posting” thread pinned to the top of this board. And then introduce yourself in the “Introductions” thread. I look forward to getting to know you!

This particular pregnancy board is a bit different. It’s run more like a community than the one off posts you see in places like baby center. But there are lots of amazing women here ready to offer support and advice! One off posts like this are generally discouraged because it clutters the board. We have a questions thread, a weekly Randoms thread, and/or an ultrasound thread that this question would fit perfectly in. 

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and to answer your question, for me personally I had an u/s at 6 week and between 6-8 for all of my pregnancies. It is different for every person, every practice/provider, and even every area (depending where you’re from). 

• Options
    Hi Stacy! First congratulations! To answer your question each provider is different. Some such as mine do a dating US around the 8th week of pregnancy. Others don’t do the first one until closer to 10 or even 12 weeks. So you’re well within the normal range. If you’re having and concerns or apprehension I would reach out and see what your provider does. 

If you would like to be apart of our community here at the bump I’m going to share some things that will make life a bit easier for you. Read the “Read before posting” thread at the top of the board. Also please introduce yourself in the introductions. We have some threads pinned to the top and typically discourage one off posts such as this since it tends to clutter the board. We have weekly and monthly check ins as well as product spotlights. We all look forward to getting to know you better and congratulations on your pregnancy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi and welcome! Have you scheduled an appointment yet? I think it really depends on provider, your personal situation, and even your insurance sometimes.

A typical first ultrasound is done between 7-10 weeks. I’ve had scans as early as 6 weeks though. Unless you have a reason to be scanned early, they usually err on a bit later to make sure you can see the baby and that you don’t have your days wrong.

We hope you feel welcome and part of our group here. Be sure to read through all the stuff at the top. It can for sure be an overwhelming amount of information but you’ll find an amazing group of ladies here!
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    starkettestarkette member
    edited January 2022
    It depends, I have a previous loss so I got an ultrasound around 6 weeks. But with previous pregnancies they didn't do one (usually) until 10-12 weeks. But I know for some providers that's super late. They just don't think there's too much of a point doing an US too soon, baby will be there or it won't, either way.

Ask for one! :) Doesn't hurt to ask.
  • Options
    Our first is tomorrow! And we are 8 weeks the following day! Some OBs do it closer to 6 weeks and some closer to 12 (which is foreverrrr to wait.) So I second asking for one! You could also ask to see when their appointments customarily are as well so you know when to expect the next ones. Hopefully they are able to be flexible with your preference! If not, Don’t be afraid to advocate for yourself! If you don’t feel happy with the way things are laid out, I’m sure there are other options that align with your preferences too!😊