May 2022 Moms

Product Spotlight: Diapering

Re: Product Spotlight: Diapering

• Personally I'm a Pampers Pure fan, because they don't have that horrid baby powder smell like the Pampers swaddlers (I think that's what our daycare uses).  that's what we'll use again, provided they still fit appropriately for this one. I know Huggies has a "natural" line as well so we'll look at that for a back up if we need to switch brands for fit. I was not impressed with the Bambo nature diapers, so I wouldn't waste your time there. 

I've also found that normal Huggies (whatever our hospital gave us) didn't smell terrible either, so we didn't mind the freebies when we were in the hospital. 

Definitely get Water Wipes! They're expensive, but very gentle and again, don't have a strong smell. 
  • We use cloth diapers for the first year (before daycare). ♥️ This will be our third babe and still on the original purchase! A big upfront cost, but paid us back multiple times over. We use disposable at night, outtings and visiting as we do find cloth more susceptible to pee leaks and a hassle if not at home BUT never had a poo blowout in one and have had multiple poo-splosions in disposable. We use Kirkland brand for disposables.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are a Pampers sposies family here. Will most likely continue with this babe. Was always able to get them from Sams for a bit cheaper and now, hopefully I can figure out the steps to the diaper discount thing on Amazon!

• We tried a few out last time and loved the pampers swaddles - no accidents and only a blowout or 2. DD had no rolls on her legs and the bunching worked well to keep it all in. 

I don’t know if there is any truth to it…but do diapers absorb differently between boys and girls? 

Wipes: we love the Huggies brand and the Walmart parents choice. The pampers wipes were too hard to get out of the package, that was our complaint on them 
  • We started with Pampers swaddlers because that's what they used at the hospital and being a FTM, you take all the "advice" you can. Awhile later, like maybe 6 months or so we switched to Kirkland. I think we'll start with Kirkland this time. They are the best deal and work just as well as any other diapers we tried. We also started with Pampers wipes and switched later. We tried Kirkland but I really didn't like them because they stick together, and just smell weird. I prefer the target brand wipes and they worked well for DS. I think we'll also start with those wipes and if this baby shows any kind of allergic reaction, we can reevaluate. 
  • b_1029b_1029 member
    edited January 2022
    I don’t remember which diapers we liked best for her in the early days since we got a variety sent to us, but I do remember one had a horrible (to me) smell. I want to say it was Pampers, I guess I’ll find out if I use them again haha. She just has the Costco brand diapers now and we’re happy with them.
    I really like the Costco brand wipes since they’re pretty large and durable. 
  • All 3 of my kids have had bad reactions to at least one brand of diaper. So I am really hesitant to buy much before the babes arrive. But we mostly used Pampers Swaddlers. I know with twins we will be FLYING through them so I might just buy small boxes of a few different brands knowing I can exchange them if there's a bad reaction. But I agree on water wipes, they are the best. And we only ever use Calmoseptine on diaper rashes. My kids usually get them horribly in the first few weeks. They've all inherited DH's sensitive skin, I guess!
    Married 11.12.11
    JB 08.02.13 
    EC 12.11.15
    GE 04.04.19
    #4 & #5 due 05.05.22
  • Oh gosh! The diaper cream. We used the boudreaux butt paste for the few times she did get a rash. And get yourself a paste spatula to keep it off your fingers! 
  • @And846 I laughed when one of my friends gave me the diaper cream spatula as part of a shower gift with DD1, but omg she was right lol. She was a NICU nurse and said they used them all the time, and now I can’t stand having to apply diaper cream without one!
  • @and846 @skc040512 we have a bumbrush, we lovingly call the "butt spatula" and my husband and I both love it! We use the Burt's bees diaper cream.

I love pampers pure but diapers got so expensive at the beginning of the pandemic that we switched to the generic superstore brand (which I hate).

For wipes I like the Huggies natural care best. We buy them in the giant boxes of 1000 refills and just use the same case.

I find pampers wipes have a weird texture. Getting gifts of diapers and free samples was a great way to test out different brands as a FTM. 
  • I have never heard of a diaper cream spatula! I’m definitely going to look for one of those.

I used penaten cream for DD if she ever started to get a bit red and she never had a diaper rash. It worked really well.

Pampers swaddlers also worked best for her and we never had any issues with them. Also the pampers sensitive wipes were good.
  • +1 for boudreauxs (in the red tube)! 
  • I’m definitely going to invest in a butt spatula this time around. I remember seeing that when I was making a registry for DD like “psh, that’s like a wipe warmer, not a necessity” but I HATE basically sticking my fingers in her butthole when her rash gets bad. We usually use the Boudreaux also but I’ve found that when she’s more raw, A&D works best. 
  • +1 for Boudreauxs, I mean I’m from Louisiana it would be sacreligious not to. 😂😂😂 also Aquaphor is my other go-to! 

• I was a huge fan of Pampers Swaddlers, but I'm going to be trying their Pure line, as well as Huggies Special Delivery diapers. I have also bought a couple packs of Hello Bello - they weren't around when my youngest was born in 2017, so I'm curious to see how they hold up. If they're awful, then I only spent $7 per pack. 
    Definitely getting the Water Wipes and Pampers Pure wipes - I loved the Water Wipes from use with my youngest. 
    Also HUGE Boudreaux's fan - ever since I tried it with my oldest in 2007, I never went back to anything else. The max strength helped with his horrible diaper rash he got from taking augmentin when he got an ear infection. It was the only cream that gave his little bottom some relief. I like Aquafor for chapped skin, but Butt Paste is all I will use for their tushies!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker
  • My girls both got extremely chunky from 3-18 months and we found that Huggies Swaddlers (and then Lil Movers as they progressed) worked best for the rounder babies. In my experience people who’s babies were leaner/taller had better luck with pampers. +1 to the Baby Bum brush being a must.
    So question for the STMs+… are you going to reuse the same bum brush or buy a new one?  :D

I use Aquaphor as a barrier overnight in the diaper area but if there’s any sort of actual breakdown or redness I use A&D or Super Duper Diaper Doo because they contain lanolin.The diaper doo has a higher concentration of lanolin so I reserve it for the worst of the worst diaper rash situations. It sounds ridiculous and can be hard to find (CVS keeps it behind the counter) but I’ve found it to be more effective than the zinc oxide diaper creams (ie Desitin, Boudreaux’s).
  • So question for the STMs+… are you going to reuse the same bum brush or buy a new one?  :D
    👀🙈😬 Uhhh...I mean it's washable, right? 😂 I feel like I should just buy a separate one because I know DD will still need hers because she's in dipes overnight still and likes to poo right when she falls asleep. 
  • Huge fan of pampers swaddlers/cruisers.  I also have cloth that I used part time with my second.  My husband wanted no part in it and then the pandemic happened and I couldn't keep up with the laundry and 2 kids home.  Hoping to use them a bit more this time around since I'll have baby home with me and the 2 big kids at preschool/camps a lot of the day.
  • @DarkSerendipity same! My DD got the worst diaper rash of her life on that Rx. I had to have her diaper free for 2 days to help clear it up. It was as red as a baboon butt. 

I think we are getting a new one for this kid but will throw the old bum brush in the diaper bag for emergency use.
  • I was looking into Hello Bello! I love a good box delivery and love that they're plant-based + affordable. Has anyone tried them? 
  • @karisahamdi my advice…try a few brands and styles out first before committing. What we may think is great may not work for baby. 
  • @pajamstagrams it’s made out of silicone so I just sterilize it every so often anyway…wash it good and throw it in a pot of boiling water for a bit and you’re good. Just make sure yours isn’t made from something that will melt lol

we typically start with Pampers (swaddlers, I think) until they’re about 2-3 months old. I can’t stand the smell of Huggies, but that’s what the hospital uses where I deliver. I totally still clean out the room and use those for a bit, but I found the NB diapers don’t have the same smell (or maybe just not as much of the same smell) as the others I’ve bought. I typically use the Up&Up brand from target. They’ve worked best for all 3 of my kids, so we’ll see if that stays the same for this one.

With so many second time+ moms, I’m sure most of you know this hack, but at target, they typically have a “spend $75 and get a $15 gift card” or $100/$20 promo about once a month on baby care items. It’s a great time to stock up on diapers and wipes, and then save the gift cards for the next promo. You can end up buying $100 worth of diapers for $80 and then have a $20 to spend the next time (or stack them every few months…I’ve bought $100 worth with $60 in gift cards before so it was basically like spending $20 lol)
  • @And846 great tip!! I think we're going to do a diaper raffle at my baby shower so I'm sure I'll get a bunch of brands to try with that. 
  • We did disposables with my son and cloth with my daughter. We are going to cloth again I need more neutral diapers for this one since we are team green we did have pee leaks but 0 poo explosions which is ideal. When we did use sposies we used luvs, target brand or kirklands. My daughter got a NASTY infection from daycare and needed prescription cream we couldn’t put that in the cloth diapers so we used disposables then. We are also looking at the Pampers hybrid with the shell and disposable insert. For wipes we are water wipes fans here. Worth the price IMO. 

For butt cream we second Boudreaux’s it worked the best and then we used aquaphor. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers