April 2022 Moms
Options

Nesting Thread 12/17

Ok ladies... what fun, weird, or necessary projects are you tackling this week?? 

Re: Nesting Thread 12/17

• Options
    fameonmain2fameonmain2 member
    edited December 2021
    @hoosiermamajayden soooo satisfying!!

I finally bought a tv stand for beneath our tv and put it together last night. I’d been putting it off since we finished renovations a year ago. Happy with the result 😊

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @fameonmain2 yay! Looks great! Reminds me that I need to tackle our TV cords sometime before these babies are mobile. 🤦‍♀️ We haven’t had to baby-proof this house yet and I’m not looking forward to it. Sounds like a good job for my husband, lol.
  • Options
    @fameonmain2 looks great! Also @hoosiermamajayden on my list for the pantry after hearing my coworker describe it is wire shelf bins to hold the snacks instead of snack boxes. More accessible for the kids. Prettier than half ripped open boxes that ALWAY fall onto the floor and make it hard for me to discern if we need more, dammit. 

Today I cleaned the laundry room-not totally, but got everything off the floor and stuff thrown away that no longer needed to be there. 

• Options
    My necessary project is self care! And finishing Christmas shopping and wrapping (which really won't take much effort thankfully). But mostly trying to relax before the crazy Christmas travel schedule. It's not that we're even traveling all that much, but the past several months have been really busy with road trips or people coming to town, so I am completely over it haha. I told my BF that my goal this weekend is to sit around and GET SO BORED (aka read books and eat pizza and play video games) and I really hope I get to do it. 
  • Options
    fameonmain2fameonmain2 member
    edited December 2021
    @hoosiermamajayden haha I can’t even think that far ahead right now!! Baby proofing will be a trip for this ftm 😂

@smashjam nice! Just getting things off the floor helps so much 

@jessabelle05 love that you are prioritizing self care! Reminds me that I told myself I would book a massage after Christmas and I haven’t done that yet…

To continue on with my projects… this story gets so gross and long so reader beware!! (Also on my phone and TB has decided each paragraph needs its own spoiler 🤦‍♀️)

We bought our house 3 years ago and immediately gutted the whole thing. It was built in the 1880s and the previous owners had lived there 50+ years, so you can imagine how much needed to be done. Also, they left a basement full of stuff. Like, FULL. We filled a dumpster of stuff they left immediately. Some stuff that might be useful we kept on some shelving that already existed in the basement.  
    Now, fast forward to yesterday. MH couldn’t find something and I had been wanting to tackle that shelving in the basement for a while and this was the perfect excuse. We immediately find mouse droppings on the top 2 shelves (this isn’t that surprising, we have a fieldstone basement and have a huge field for a yard so we often get mice, and usually the cat takes care of them). I notice it smells weird and I decide to mask and glove up because who knows what I’m about to find…
    Sure enough, on the second shelf, we find the culprit. The previous owners had left a bunch of glass bottles and containers, and this poor mouse had climbed into a bottle with a narrow mouth that widens out at the bottom and then couldn’t get out 🤢. Who knows how long he had been there, but I’m thinking at least dead a month since my dad had mentioned he smelled something weird a month ago but we couldn’t find anything. Anyways, I cried. Poor mouse. But also super gross!!!
  • Options
    @fameonmain2 so gross. In VT we get mice in our cars in the winter (I think most cold climates do) and I left a plastic water bottle in the car, lid off-went to take a sip and there was a DEAD MOUSE IN THE DAMN BOTTLE WHICH I PUT MY MOUTH ON. I almost vomited. I actually called the doctor to make sure everything was fine because I was pregnant and she laughed out loud at me and the situation. 
  • Options
    @SmashJam omg!!! 🤢🤢🤢 Yours is way worse than mine haha. I live in MA so not as cold but suddenly very thankful I have never had a dead mouse in the car 😂
  • Options
    Ok I live in NJ in a suburb of NYC and don’t have mice or bats so I’m bringing things back to nesting haha. 
    Currently our house is 3 beds… this will be my 3rd baby so Im in the process of turning a bedroom into something that can be shared by both my sons. We had someone do built-ins in the closet so we could get rid of
    the dresser and free up space and we Installed some shelving and will be ordering bunk beds this week from PBK. 
    I need to turn to converting the baby boy nursery to a girl’s after… but Im having trouble making choices.
    Instead, I’ve been looking on Zillow for
    new houses haha. 
    We decided once our middle or youngest (tbd) enters kindergarten, we are moving to our forever home which will be much bigger. So now im obsessed with the idea of moving and wish we can be out earlier but childcare next year will be between 47-50k for us! I love my house. It’s beautiful inside and all
    updated and open but I want more space. Really wish childcare was more affordable and we could move sooner  
    Me: 36 DH: 36
    Married: October 2011
    DS: January 2016
    DS: May 2019
    #3: April 2022
  • Options
    @SmashJam we have six wire baskets like that in our pantry and they help so much! 

@fameonmain2 @SmashJam gross!! 🤢 

@winterviolethope haha I always love looking at houses, even when I have 0 intention of moving! I can’t imagine paying that much for childcare though!!! Just reading that number is painful. 😵
  • Options
    @SmashJam 🤢🤢🤢

I love hearing everyone’s projects! I think I’ll get more motivated once the holidays are over. Right now April still sounds far away! But on my to-do nesting list at some point before baby comes:
    - Turn DS4’s bed back into a crib (and get him a new bed frame)
    - Make a ton of freezer meals (I made about 10 or 12 last time and they ran out too quickly, before I wanted to cook again) 
    - Shampoo the carpets
    - Go through all of DS’s old clothes and toys to see what baby items we still need 
  • Options
    @minnie_yoga_mama the horsehair insulation is so weird! But common in super old houses here too. The bat story is hilarious...that you guys never new that you had a famous bat brothel is so funny! 

@winterviolethope that daycare cost! I can relate to the idea of moving instead of making things work-knowing you're going to move also changes what you do to make things work in your CURRENT house. 

@monstera13 I also have to get the clothes thing figured out. I wanted to buy all sorts of stuff at some sales this weekend but realized I need to figure out what I need first before I go crazy. 
  • Options
    guys - just discovered today that we do have bats! Hahaha. I totally jinked myself! 
    Not inside our house but my husband things they are hanging out above the Garland we have hung around our front door. I assumed they are birds but he’s insisting they are bats! 
  • Options
    @robbenson That’s about where I’m at too! Haha. I keep wanting to work on the baby’s room, but some extra stuff is in there right now to make room for the Christmas decorations in the living room. Plus we are doing a murder mystery subscription box right now, and our “murder wall” (yes, with corkboard and red yarn) is also in there… I decided it can wait until the decorations are down, which is usually around Epiphany on Jan. 6 (end of the liturgical Christmas season).
    Me: 30 // Hubs: 31
    Married May 2019
    Baby #1 due April 19, 2022
  • Options
    @missa_lyssa I had to reread that a few times. At first I read your murder wall was was with your Christmas decorations and I was like, Pictures or it didn't happen. Do you enjoy the subscription? Thought about doing something like that with my husband how does it work?
  • Options
    @minnie_yoga_mama omg what a story! Between the bat flying into your face and the brothel... also very familiar with horsehair plaster! We got rid of most of that in this house with the recent renovation.

@winterviolethope oh my! well at least they are outside of the house! I loved looking at new houses (at least from the couch, when you actually have to go to the open houses and start dealing with inspections and bidding wars that's another story...) Will you stay in the same suburb where you live you think or move somewhere else eventually?
  • Options
    I’m gonna need info for this murder mystery box
  • Options
    @rbflei 🤣 Maybe I could put sparkly Christmas ribbon instead of the red yarn to make it a more festive murder wall!

And @kiwi2628, it’s from Hunt a Killer. Each mystery is referred to as a “season,” and for each season, you get 6 boxes (“episodes”) in the mail. Each box contains pieces of evidence to go through (such as  police and autopsy reports, victim’s schedule, notes that appear to be hand written, and physical items like characters’ possessions) and puzzles to solve. There is also an online component where the person who “hired” you as a PI shares links, screenshots, and photos. If you get totally stuck, you can look up hints online as well.

I highly recommend! We are working on our third mystery from this company and really enjoy it. The current season, called Mallory Rock, is very good.

I might have a referral link I can share… Let me look into that.
    Me: 30 // Hubs: 31
    Married May 2019
    Baby #1 due April 19, 2022
  • Options
    @missa_lyssa I just imagined if your mail went to the wrong house and how confused/concerned the recipient would be  :D

DH took leave to coincide with the beginning of school holidays here (I'm a teacher and this is our long summer break). I haven't had a chance to relax because when we haven't been Christmas shopping, he has been dragging me around to furniture shop for the new house. I'm grateful because there are very long wait times on deliveries and we are supposed to be moving in early March, and it wouldn't get done otherwise, but I'm just so tired each evening. So far we have bought couches for 2 rooms and our bedroom suite. This counts as nesting, right?
  • Options
    @constantinabee that definitely counts! Filling up a new house with furniture gets tiring fast (were still filling 3 years later 😂). But it will be worth it when you have a fully decorated home!!
  • Options
    PSA if you plan to get a PBK glider they are all back ordered until June! I compromised and chose one “ready to ship” in Jan and in the end, it changed to June :(

• Options
    @winterviolethope 😔😔😔

Just finished cleaning out our master closet… 7 bags of clothes for heading out for donation!!
  • Options
    I ordered baby's dresser in September, and it keeps getting pushed back and back. It will now arrive (maybe) in April soooooo that's fun. I guess he definitely will be sleeping in our room at first so we can use our dresser as a changing table (I had been playing with the idea of sleeping with him in his room since that's where the glider/recliner is, and there's a queen size bed in there still).
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 where did you order from? I'm worried I'll experience the same, coming from Target. I haven't ordered yet, but was going to in January.
  • Options
    @SmashJam crate & barrel. I really think it's a universal issue across all furniture suppliers.
  • Options
    @winterviolethope Maybe a dusty rose or a sage green?
  • Options
  • Options
    @winterviolethope I would do a light grey almost white, and then you have a lot of options to change the decor with age without having to repaint, and can decorate with artwork.
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 we plan to move in 3-5 years so not super worried about it aging. I’m having trouble finding artwork that’s not cheesy or 2000 dollars haha … any suggestions?
  • Options
    @winterviolethope my dads wife has been doing paint by numbers and they look really good! I don’t know if she’s freakishly talented or if they are just really easy to follow. I dunno if you are very crafty but maybe you could maybe find a cute painting to do yourself?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    @winterviolethope I also tend to go for neutral walls to change and redecorate any time, but since that’s not a concern for you, my first thought is lavender walls would looks beautiful with it!!
  • Options
    Thanks @rbfl! I love home goods- will take a look! 
  • Options
    @winterviolethope Not sure if it'll be your cup of tea but I have always said that if I have a girl I will be using Sugarmints artworks to decorate the nursery. They have some really pretty anime inspired (but in a subtle way) posters that can be framed and the colours are gorgeous.
  • Options
    @winterviolethope just some prints from Etsy put into nice frames can be really great. You can even just take digital stuff and Framebridge will print and frame it for you. Wall decals can be cool. Woven items. I'd look at the walls on inspo photos you like - like, really examine any nursery inspo pic you like and try to see what they're doing with the walls to see what your taste really is, and then try to find cheaper versions of those things on Etsy etc.