January 2022 Moms
Options

Rise in Covid Cases

Is anyone having anxiety about the rise in Covid cases so close to their due date? I am vaccinated and most people I’m around are but I read with the new variant it can still be carried if you’re vaccinated with no symptoms. I’m not as nervous about catching Covid because the vaccinated people I know who have had it all had mild symptoms. I’m nervous about getting it close to when I go into labor and being separated from my baby for 14 days when he’s born. That would destroy me. I’m also nervous about him catching it from visitors once he’s here. So what do I do? Not celebrate the holidays? Not allow visitors at all once he’s here? I’d just like to see how everyone else is feeling on this. It’s so easy for people who aren’t in our situation to say I’m overreacting because they weren’t faced with a pandemic while pregnant and didn’t have to make these decisions. 

Re: Rise in Covid Cases

• Options
    alexxajamsalexxajams member
    edited December 2021
    Personally I'm not. My family actually came to visit for the baby shower and every single person in attendance was vaccinated and they still somehow managed to catch it.It was mixed symptoms but they're all fine. My only rule for when my baby comes is that our younger niece and nephews can come over but must wear a mask. Ill probably have them come a week or 2 after she's born. There's going to be countless variations of the virus just like there are countless variations of the flu. Also to be fair, usually in a regular situation they say to limit visitation anyways cause babies immune systems aren't that strong. 
  • Options
    You can still celebrate the holidays and your new little one without being physically present! Zoom and FaceTime chats. Marco Polo is a big one in my family. I work from home and don’t go out much now. When I do I sanitize and wear a mask. I’m certain you’re doing everything you can to be reasonably safe and that’s the most we can do.
    When Benny arrives we won’t be having family visitors for many months. We live far from our families anyway. We will have visits with our friends who just welcomed their baby girl this week. They’re in our bubble and in the same boat basically. 
    If your worries get overwhelming try to take some deep breaths and focus on the present. You’re doing the best you can!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had my first before the pandemic, and I was still really worried about all the germs, but also felt so guilty about turning away visitors. Tbh I don’t know if it’s a second child thing, addition of pandemic or what, but I have no qualms about saying no to visitors this time around. Luckily all of our immediate family is vaccinated, and mostly in a bubble, so we will have them around the baby, but I have already been pretty upfront that we are limiting any other visitors until the baby is 2 months old when his immune system is stronger. People have been very understanding-it’s a pandemic AND flu season. If they are so desperate to help out, they can send a meal or something, but otherwise they can wait 2 months to hold the baby, I promise he’ll still be cute and cuddly. 

That said my daughter is too young to be vaccinated. She goes to school 3 days a week, which we will continue, but otherwise we are not sending her to other activities until the baby is 2 months. A lot of this is because of the new surges, but after watching a kid sneeze on her at gymnastics a few weeks ago, I’m pretty secure in this decision for multiple reasons. 

As for the holidays, if it’s people already in a bubble with you, I wouldn’t worry, but otherwise if you can, visit outdoors, mask up with a kn95, or ask others to mask, or go virtual. So close to your due date, and your fears of not being near him, may be worth a quieter celebration. Doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate, just may have to get creative. But that will also depend on what’s most important to you-knowing you’re safe at the expense of holiday celebrations, or taking a potentially heavy risk in order to celebrate in person? I don’t think either is necessarily right or wrong, and certainly not an overreaction, it’s just what you feel is best for you and your baby and your life. But I may not be the best person to answer this as I’m actually in the hospital on bed rest, so I don’t have the option to do anything anyway. But I’ve come to terms with joining my in laws annual NYE party virtual, and otherwise having a lot of quiet time to myself, because I don’t have a choice. I’m actually kind of looking forward to the quiet before the craziness ahead. 

Whatever decisions you make, make sure they are the right ones for YOU and YOUR baby. Anyone who takes issue with it can get over themselves. 
  • Options
    I am definitely concerned, but there is only so much we can do with our 3 y/o going to daycare. Thankfully, we only have my parents and sister who are close by (and who we have kept in our little bubble - all vaccinated - haven’t gotten the virus) and don’t have any family close enough to visit until April, so we will have time with that. 

Although, if I was in your situation, I would wear a mask and ask others to wear a mask for the holidays. I would also limit my time at any gatherings and be extra cautious while there (6ft apart). Being pregnant with covid is scary.

As for when baby is born, can you ask anyone who wants to visit to take a home covid test and test negative? That’s what we are going to do when visitors start coming in the spring. Or require they wear masks, wash their hands, and don’t do baby holding ? :/ Just some options to ease your anxiety - I know they will ease mine.
  • Options
    everyone in my close circle has gotten their boosters, my parents are coming for Christmas and staying through baby (induction on 1/1/22) and are getting swabs the day before they travel. Otherwise I'm treating it like any other winter baby. It would still be RSV season if COVID wasn't around, so I don't plan to take baby many places till first round of shots is done, and no holding without masks and handwashing.
  • Options
    @pedsoncrn461 omg!!! A new year baby. How exciting!