1st Trimester

Friend HATES Kids

Any suggestions on how I should tell my friend that I'm pregnant? I'm looking for some funny or clever ways that will ease her attitude about it. She had been dreading us getting pregnant. I love her and I know that she loves us both and will be excited for us, but I know she isn't going to be thrilled to lose her drinking buddy.

Re: Friend HATES Kids

• Any suggestions on how I should tell my friend that I'm pregnant? I'm looking for some funny or clever ways that will ease her attitude about it. She had been dreading us getting pregnant. I love her and I know that she loves us both and will be excited for us, but I know she isn't going to be thrilled to lose her drinking buddy.
    If your friend can’t be happy for you when you are celebrating because she can’t drink with you for 9 months you might want to broaden your friend base. And you also might not be giving her enough credit. She may surprise you by being super excited for you. It can feel daunting to share such life changing news, but if she is really a friend she will find a way to be happy for you.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m always live by the rule that other people’s reactions or opinions don’t dictate my life choice. I think having the knowledge of why she doesn’t like kids may help in your approach. But as mentioned above, you don’t need to make light of a serious situation. At the end of the day, you do what’s right for you; if that means you have a family, any real friend has no say in that. They can surely mourn what the friendship is now but also be genuinely happy for you. If they act any differently, may not be a friendship worth continuing.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • If drinking is her biggest concern, get her a bottle of wine or liquor and put your own label on it with something about you expecting on it. But I agree with what everyone else has said above.