January 2022 Moms
Options

Postpartum Care

Some of you have already scheduled csections and inductions for next month and January. How exciting! 
I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where stm/+, and any ftm too who want to impart some wisdom, could list their must-have products for postpartum care. Whether for C-section recover or vaginal labor recovery, or both, lay it on me!
I’ve been shown a few ads and articles lately about compression bands and am thinking of buying one. Worth it? What style? I am also planning on buying some period panties too.

Re: Postpartum Care

• Options
    magalina_hmagalina_h member
    edited November 2021
    I honestly didn't need any extra postpartum care after my vaginal delivery except for using the mesh underwear from the hospital and extra long pads.  BUT, I also didn't have an episiotomy or tearing. 

Ask your nurse about getting dermoplast spray before you leave the hospital.  I do think I used that the first couple days after delivery (honestly, it was so long ago, I don't fully remember).  I also have had friends who bought pads ahead of time, put witch hazel on them and them froze them (you can also Google "Padcicles")

I had some MAJOR breast pain when my milk came in, and small gel ice pad inserts were nice to have.  I was able to get some from my nurse. 

DS: 3-6-15 💙
    Baby Girl Due: 1-1-22
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Hospitals usually give you an assortment of post care items like mesh underwear, ice packs, and a peri bottle, my best advice is take EVERYTHING. Usually once it’s in your room, even if unopened, it’s yours, so take it!* (but I’m sure different hospitals have different policies). I loved the ice packs from the hospital-they were just the right size and I only needed a few since I had a csection, but they were awesome. The hospital gave me a compression band/binder for post csection, so I never bought one. I’m sure there are “better” ones out there, but what I got from the hospital covered my needs. The peri bottle was pretty clutch, although now I have a bidet attachment on my toilet, which is not *necessary*, but is honestly one of the greatest splurges. Lansinoh breast pads for milk leakage. I used about a pack of depends, but period panties would probably work as well, I just didn’t have the energy to deal with the washing. Also, I had one of those sticks with a grabber at the end from a previous surgery, and it was SO handy. And I got a pack of these ice packs that were great for sore boobs, and they’re a good “boo boo” size later on. I still use them all the time!

Round Hot & Cold Gel Bead Ice Packs - Heat & Ice Therapy (6 PACK) - Small Flexible reusable with cloth fabric backing - Great for Wisdom Teeth, Breastfeeding, Tired Eyes, Face, Headaches, Sinus Relief https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0186F3O2G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0DA2S3S060VCW7PMA5QH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Depends instead of PP pads
    Demoplast
    STOOL SOFTENER
    Tearing open the top of a newborn diaper and putting ice inside for a padcicle( spelling) 
    If you domt have any breastpads, cut a pantliner in half use each half for one boob. 

• Options
    I had a grade 2 tear and episiotomy 

I made padsicles with aloe and witch hazel and only ended up using a few. 
    Peri bottle
    I had a spray bottle of Earth Mama perineal spray that I used after every bathroom trip. 
    I wore depends for several days until they gave me crazy butt acne, so then I switched to huge pads. 
    I used a tonne of Epsom salts in the bathtub with a few inches of water and sat there to help with healing. 

I used Lansinoh breast pads for leakage. 
    And the Lansinoh gel bead book things that can be hot or cold. They felt so nice. 

That's all I can remember. 

• Options
    I liked the ice pads in the hospital, but wasn’t a fan of the padsicles I made. Things I love PP:
    giant water bottle from hospital 
    stool softener
    flowy tunics 
    Leggings 
    Fuzzy slippers 
    APNO 
    peri bottle from hospital 
    dermoplast from hospital 
    tucks from the hospital 
    I picked up some disposable underwear from target this time in place of pads.
    easy to grab snacks/food 
  • Options
    Also hemorrhoid cream
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful tips!  They slightly give me anxiety but that’s ok lol.   
  • Options
    I purchased Medline Standard Perineal Cold Packs because i ran out of the ones the hospital sent me home with.  Those were my favorite.  
    I mentioned it before but we were gifted the squatty potty as a joke a few years ago and it was super helpful for the first couple poops PP.  
  • Options
    Witch hazel pads(tucks I think), ice pack pads(can get at target) and the dermoplast numbing spray have been my lifesavers with my previous deliveries.