May 2022 Moms

The Great Big Name Thread

Re: The Great Big Name Thread

• @MrsLaLaBug I feel the same! We’ve always had a hard time picking names, but we don’t even have a list yet! I’m still not 100% convinced I am pregnant despite the 2 ultrasounds lol. It’s definitely much harder to connect with this pregnancy with it being a surprise
  • @runninginva Thank you. We like it but haven't gotten the most positive feedback from the few people we have mentioned the name to. I've thought on family member names but haven't found any that go well. DHs middle name is Chiyang (he's Chinese). Baby will be half chinese half white so I've thought about incorporating a Chinese name but I hate all the ones I've come across so far 😂
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m stuck between Silas James or Oliver James. Thoughts?!
  • New additions to our list: Chloe and Sloane. The list is getting longer 😂😂
  • @tacosandtums Sloane is really pretty!!
  • @tacosandtums I love the name Sloane! 
  • @tacosandtums +1 for Sloane! 

• @tacosandtums another vote for Sloane and it goes well with your other kids’ names! 
  • @tacosandtums love the name sloane! 
  • Any thoughts on the name Leighton? 

• @MrsLaLaBug I neither dislike nor love it but I need to scroll back and see what your other kids’ names are! Leighton rhymes with my daughter’s name though 😍
  • @MrsLaLaBug I’ve always loved the name leighton! DH isn’t a huge fan but I tried to sneak it on the list with DD1 lol
  • DH thinks it sounds like a boy name. Technically I guess it could go either way. I swear this child will never be named.

• @MrsLaLaBug I like Leighton! But I also think of it as a boy’s name. I think it’s gender neutral so you associate it with any Leightons you know and the only one I knew was a boy. Gender neutral names are nice though! I have a niece named Riley and a friend named their daughter Lennon (Lenny). I think those are both gender neutral as well!

I am getting OBSESSED with knowing gender. Googling all the old wives tales and unfounded, 50% accurate, fables. Our anatomy scan is Dec 17, but the technicians aren’t allowed to say anything and our follow up with the midwife isn’t until the 22nd. At that point I think we’ll just have her write it on a piece of paper and slip it into an envelope to open with my parents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning. You guys all finding out so early is killing me with jealously!! 
  • @MrsLaLaBug I had never heard the name Leighton before gossip girl, so Leighton Meester (not sure if that’s spelled correctly haha) is all I think of when I hear it 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • @annashaf, me too! I'm so ready to know if I'm having a little boy or girl! I had NIPT testing last week so my results should come back (with gender) this week or next. I'm so ready!!! 
  • @annashaf omg what an awesome Christmas gift that will be though!! 
    @b_1029 that’s what I told DH when he said it sounded like a boy name 😂 Loved Gossip Girl way back when. 💜

• We are leaning toward Maeve right now. Do you guys know how to pronounce it?
  • @tacosandtums isn't it pronounced "mayve", one syllable? At least that's how I pronounce it in my head lol. 
  • @tacosandtums I know a Maeve and she pronounces it “Mayve” (one syllable). I’m pretty sure it’s the traditional pronunciation 
  • @tacosandtums I would pronounce it “May-ev” because I lived in a French city the last 10 years and that’s how they say it. I’ve never seen/heard the name in English.
  • @tacosandtums I would pronounce it “Mayve” also

• @tacosandtums love the name Maeve! I would also pronounce it 'mayve'.
  • @tacosandtums my friends daughter has that name..."may-ve"
  • Thanks for all the Maeve comments! Too lazy to tag. My mom was very confused by it but you guys all guessed exactly how I would say it. Maeve, rhymes with pave. 
  • I'm just going to throw this out there because I'm kinda stumped now that we've found out we're having a boy. DS's name is Jeremiah. DH's name is David. We're talking about naming this baby after DH's mom who passed when he was a kid. Her name was Deborah Stein. We can just use either of her initials. My problem is we don't do jrs, so David is out and one of DH's closest cousin's names is Daniel. We kinda joked about naming the baby Stein but decided that baby would be too cool for us if we named him that. 🤣 Another name we'd consider to name after is Bellinson because that's my grandparents' last name who both have passed. When we were talking about girls names, I wanted her middle name to be Bella after them but that doesn't really fit now. Any ideas that come out of this? Thanks y'all! 
  • @runninginva just throwing out some random things—

- if you wanna keep with the biblical theme, Jonah, Judah, Benjamin/Ben/Benji, Jonathan, James
    - for MIL initials… Dawson, Dylan, Sutton, Sawyer, Smith
    - you could do “Bell” as a middle name…. seems weird on it’s own but maybe paired with something traditional it would work. Like Johnathan Bell, Dylan Bell… Or just do Bellinson as the middle name. I don’t think that’s weird at all. Many people use a maiden name as a middle name (I did!)
  • @runninginva I also used my grandparents last name as one of my kids middle names. I was suuuuper close with my Grandaddy and I love having that little piece of memory/legacy/namesake continue. 

• @brookejay06, I love the idea you have with bell. It does sound good once you put it with the first name. I also like the idea of using the whole last name like both you and @MrsLaLaBug pointed out as a middle name. Benji is such a cute name. I've never known an adult named Benji. Do you think that name could "grow up" with him? You know what I mean? 
  •  thoughts on Arleigh? DD is Ainsley, DS is Landry. I’m just starting to give up at this point lol

• @MrsLaLaBug have you considered Blakeleigh? My friend has a little girl named that and I love it. I like Arleigh too!
  • Can someone name my kid please? I’m at a loss and it’s making me sad. I feel like she’s never going to have a name. DD’s name is Peyton. We seem to gravitate towards more gender neutral names for girls with a more feminine middle name. 
  • @tacosandtums yes! It’s on the list too. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

@b_1029 SAME. And it’s really getting to me, too. 

• @runninginva I would imagine Ben could be a natural grown up name for a Benji, or even a nickname like Benj (kind of reminds me of a couple Angela's I know who go by Ange)

I love the maiden name/family name for middle names - we'll probably use Irvine as a middle name for this little boy. Maybe first name?

@b_1029 @MrsLaLaBug I have so many girl names I can't use! My favorites were Agatha (Aggy) and Iris. 
    Also:
    Emerson
    Remy
    Finley 
    (those are still on my list because they are gender neutral)
  • b_1029b_1029 member
    edited December 2021
    @MrsLaLaBug I know it’s probably more popular but I’d prefer marleigh to Arleigh. I know you did say you’d like to stick to L&A names though so I’m probably not helping lol. 

Other L and A suggestions
    Anniston
    Ada
    Adley / Adleigh
    Adalyn / Adelyn
    Laiken
    Lainey
    Lara
    Lennon

eta Adley is now on our list 😆 but DH’s cousin’s kid’s name is Adelyn and we are loosely worried it’s too similar
  • Ohhh i like Lennon a lot. That’s a good L name.

we are still No Name over here. Like. No options at all on the table for baby boy.
  • We have ZERO ideas on baby names. My 8
    year old daughter keeps telling everyone her name is Brooklyn. No idea where she came up with it or why but she’s insistent. At this point I might just go with it because I can’t do any better haha.