1st Trimester

Dental work needed!

maggiepetz87maggiepetz87 member
edited November 2021 in 1st Trimester
Hello Ladies,
My sister is pregnant for 3.5 weeks. On November 24th, She had an appointment with a dentist nearby to have a crown inserted. But she is concerned whether its safe! So we decided to phone the counselling nurse, and she said to us to go-ahead. And we contacted the dentist. Surprisingly, the dentist disagreed and refused to provide oral care for the first semester. He said he'd arrive late to check her teeth, but if it looked good, he'd stay and wait on until the baby has been delivered. Has anyone else experienced a similar experience? Did anybody had to postpone dental treatment?

Re: Dental work needed!

• I am not sure, I believe dental work during first trimester is not safe for the baby. But if its an emergency you should not wait as it can cause infection and further issues.
  • I agree and in general OB’s study what is healthy for in utero babies and dentists study what is healthy for teeth, so I’d look to the OB or midwife and then find a dentist that agrees versus the opposite.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • maggiepetz87maggiepetz87 member
    edited November 2021
    Thank you for your responses. I intend to schedule an appointment with my family dentist as soon as possible. I talked with another pregnant friend, who assured me that dental work during the second trimester is safer than the first. So I'm hoping my doctor can give me some pain relievers while also examining my month and deciding on a treatment regimen.
  • Hello Ladies,
    My sister is pregnant for 3.5 weeks. On November 24th, She had an appointment with a dentist nearby to have a crown inserted. But she is concerned whether its safe! So we decided to phone the counselling nurse, and she said to us to go-ahead. And we contacted the dentist. Surprisingly, the dentist disagreed and refused to provide oral care for the first semester. He said he'd arrive late to check her teeth, but if it looked good, he'd stay and wait on until the baby has been delivered. Has anyone else experienced a similar experience? Did anybody had to postpone dental treatment?
    Thank you for your responses. I intend to schedule an appointment with my family dentist as soon as possible. I talked with another pregnant friend, who assured me that dental work during the second trimester is safer than the first. So I'm hoping my doctor can give me some pain relievers while also examining my month and deciding on a treatment regimen.
    Are you pregnant or is your sister pregnant? 
    To answer your question, I was 32 weeks pregnant and lost a filling. My dentist just wanted a note from my obgyn says the procedure is safe and it was done the same day. While it’s not first tri, it was still during pregnancy. My suggestion would be for whoever is pregnant, to call their obgyn and get their advice.