Has anyone ever had Lasik surgery? — The Bump
1st Trimester

Has anyone ever had Lasik surgery?

Has anyone ever had Lasik surgery after giving birth? After my first child, my lenses caused my eyelid to swell dramatically and my eyesight had deteriorated to the point that my spectacles were acting as magnifying glasses, I decided to get Lasik surgery. Now I'm 3 month pregnant again. I'm scared that the hormones may harm my vision or undo the benefits of lasik surgery as hormones are believed to impact vision. I'm interested if anyone else has had similar experiences.Thanks

Re: Has anyone ever had Lasik surgery?

• I was planning to undergo LASIK surgery before delivery, but my doctor advised me to wait until after the baby was born. My contact lens prescription used to be between -4 and -5. After LASIK surgery m y eyes felt gritty, which was irritating, and the doctor's nap pills didn't work, so I had to wait until I got home to take my Ativan and fall asleep. My vision improved after a few weeks, and I was able to regain 20/20 vision, which was unexpected at first. The nicest part is that I no longer need to wear glasses. My vision has much improved, and I highly recommend it!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Has anyone ever had Lasik surgery after giving birth? After my first child, my lenses caused my eyelid to swell dramatically and my eyesight had deteriorated to the point that my spectacles were acting as magnifying glasses, I decided to get Lasik surgery. Now I'm 3 month pregnant again. I'm scared that the hormones may harm my vision or undo the benefits of lasik surgery as hormones are believed to impact vision. I'm interested if anyone else has had similar experiences.Thanks
    I was planning to undergo LASIK surgery before delivery, but my doctor advised me to wait until after the baby was born. My contact lens prescription used to be between -4 and -5. After LASIK surgery m y eyes felt gritty, which was irritating, and the doctor's nap pills didn't work, so I had to wait until I got home to take my Ativan and fall asleep. My vision improved after a few weeks, and I was able to regain 20/20 vision, which was unexpected at first. The nicest part is that I no longer need to wear glasses. My vision has much improved, and I highly recommend it!!
    Some people’s vision changes with pregnancy. I know the first time I went for a lasik consult one of the questions was “are you planning to get pregnant in the next 3 months”. I think that’s mostly so you’re not shelling out money for a surgery that could be altered by a following pregnancy. I’d hate to shell out that dough and then still need glasses a few months later. I’d also ask the surgeon/ pharmacist about the prescriptions you’d need to take.
    ME: 33  DH: 33 DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • This post doesn’t make any sense. You’re planning on getting the surgery again? Because you said you already had it.
    And I’ve never had the surgery but my vision did get worse after having my baby. 
    paytonpedrolelkcot
  • @greyl  With the link to clear view institute, this seems like it could be a really bad ad. For pregnant people? So maybe a rather dishonest and unethical one.
    ME: 33  DH: 33 DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
    paytonpedrogreyl
  • @meggyme I was thinking spam too but I didn’t want to click the link lol! 
  • I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I got a little busy and I agree that there can be changes in vision as our body changes in the process of being pregnant.