March 2022 Moms
Options

The Baby Shower Thread!

I know a lot of us are starting to think about baby shower logistics, or are being asked for input from our friends and family members. This is a place to ask questions, look for advice, share ideas, AW your cute decorations/invites, etc. 

STM+ please jump in with advice and experience!

Re: The Baby Shower Thread!

• Options
    For DS, my baby shower was when I was around 27 weeks in November. It was a small group of close friends and family that my Mom and MIL hosted at a restaurant. It wasn't co-ed, so the guys went to another bar to watch football! My favorite part was having the guests bring a book instead of a card for DS, and there was another activity decorating diapers. The theme was Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. I didn't want to open gifts or do any games, but MIL planned that as part of the shower. Nevertheless, it was great to see everyone get together before the holidays!
  • Options
    @jennifer_m21 I love the Twinkle Twinkle Little Star theme! 

My shower for DS was a Zoom shower because of Covid. My mom came and sat across the room from me and wore a mask and I had about 30 friends dial in. My BFF organized a cute game where she’d put a baby picture on the screen and I had to guess who it was. 😃 

This time I’m having a sprinkle around 35 weeks, in Feb. My BFF will fly up and I’ll host an open house at my place. I don’t want gifts but I’m including a request for gas cards to donate to a local crisis nursery if folks want to buy something. Since it’s an open house and folks will come and go, the plan is just to have some snacks and there’ll be a box for folks to write down wishes for the baby. I really just want a chance to see people! I’ll require vaccinations, which I think will be fine except for one friend but oh well. The theme will be…pink? 😂 I don’t have a theme yet besides “it’s a girl!” 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    gembudgembud member
    edited November 2021
    My shower with DS was in mid May, I had it at a Mexican restaurant’s outside garden and the theme was ‘taco bout a baby” We had a dj and the margaritas were flowing, was a fun dance party with tacos. I’ve never done traditional anything, just not my style

Oh and my mom made cute “cactus” favors made out of Hershey kisses 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @gembud I love that! So fun.

My first shower was hosted by a close family friend around 32 weeks. Co-ed. No theme and no games thank goodness. Was great to see so many family friends before we retreated into newborn life. 

Don’t think we’ll have a shower this time. And honestly in terms of infection control I’m totally fine with it. 
  • Options
    @gembud we did 'taco bout a baby' too! It was super fun and low key. I didn't want games or opening presents so it was really just eating and drinking (for everyone else lol) and hanging out. It was just right for me. We won't have a shower this time. We still have everything from DD and I don't love the attention. 
  • Options
    @gembud I love the fiesta theme!  I keep telling everyone my first post pregnancy party is going to be for Cinco de Mayo.  I love mexican food and miss tequila being pregnant.  I've already recruited my MIL to help us with the baby that night.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I have no helpful suggestions as I never got a baby shower haha. DS was sick and it was a nightmarish 5 months. And just when we could have managed it, COVID hit.

(I laugh at myself now, because I promised myself we would have a huge first bday party to celebrate him to make up for it...but COVID was full blown by then ha. So that definitely didn't happen. Poor kiddo. Never got to be shown off and celebrated).
  • Options
    I never had a shower with either girl. My students did throw me a surprise shower at school for DD1 (they were grade 12 kids that I had been teaching since grade 9 and I was pretty impressed at the effort they put in) that was probably the sweetest thing ever. Other than that my mom threw a family party when DD1 was just over 3 months old just so everyone could meet her, which was great! We did nothing with DD2 and won't this time either. But I love hearing about other people's showers ❤
  • Options
    I had a shower with DD and loved it. It was so nice and fun. The theme was You Are My Sunshine. My friend wants to throw me a sprinkle this time around. I told her yes thinking that it would be a small thing. She has been sending me Pinterest links for inspo and now I'm realizing she has much bigger plans than I want or feel comfortable with. I need to figure out how to nicely tell her to scale it back. 

@gembud aw so cute! 

@goldfishcraker do you think anyone will do a shower this go around for you?? You definitely deserve it! Covid really messed all that up for so many people 😭. 
  • Options
    For DS I had my baby shower early third trimester. We did a “mama to Bee 🐝 “ theme in the late morning. My sisters had it catered centered around foods if been craving. Fruits. Bacon. 😂 it was lovely. And we did some classic games as well. 
    I don’t think we’ll  be doing anything this time around. Second boy within two years (and 5th boy of the cousins 😂) which I’m just fine with! (Though i will be sad about the massive stacks of diapers and wipes to be missed out on. Those lasted me like 9 months at least last time around)
  • Options
    DH aunt threw my shower with DD.  It was perfect!  I think I was around 34 weeks.  The theme was fairy tales/nursery rhymes.  Everyone was asked to bring a book and leave a note for DD inside. We did play a few games but I did not care for the attention being on me when it was time for presents. I don't think we will do a shower this time even with this being our first boy, unless someone surprises us with one. We have several items from DD as she is just 2 that are either gender neutral or ultimately won't matter <i don't think baby boy will notice we are using a pink bath tub>

@nursejenn5 that sounds so cute! The foods being items you craved is a great idea 

@kgg2241 oh no!  That can be awkward!  I'm sure she will understand though

@Panaceia That is so sweet that your students threw you a shower!
  • Options
    @kgg2241 awe I love that theme!!
    Unfortunately I don't think I'll get one for this baby either. It's pretty much unheard of in our city, to have a shower for a second child. :(

Not gonna lie..I'd love to have the party, with no gifts though. I had all these fun games I wanted to play...
  • Options
    @goldfishcraker is there a reason you’d be unable to throw a little party yourself? Who cares if others don’t do it, if you want to celebrate I say go for it! Even if it’s just a small to-do, I think folks are thankful for opportunities to connect safely these days. 
  • Options
    I love hearing everyone’s shower ideas!!
    i had a literature themed shower for DS at 35w. Everyone brought a book instead of a card, and the snacks and such were themed (fruit laid out with The Very Hungry Caterpillar, teddy bears and bear themed onesies with Brown Bear, etc). It was thrown by my best friend and coworkers, and it had to be so late because our work schedules were crazy earlier in my pregnancy. The problem is: I got admitted to the hospital the day before to be evaluated (and diagnosed) for preeclampsia. So I ended up having my shower in the hospital (2018, so pre-Covid). So if you’re having a shower my advice is always earlier is better haha. Won’t be doing one this time around I think. I have created a registry, really just as a checklist for ourselves for what we need, and completion discounts.