April 2022 Moms

WTF Wednesday 11.17

james franco wtf GIF

What's got you saying WTF today?

Re: WTF Wednesday 11.17

• We have a mini-split in our bedroom that cools and heats it. I turned it on in the middle of the night because ti was freezing, and about an hour after turning it on it started gurgling like crazy and honestly I was worried there might be a mini explosion so I just turned it off. Turned it on half an hour later and eventually it happened again. UGH. Home issues don't really freak me out but right now something is up with our electrical, we just got our chimney fixed, we're still dealing with damage to our siding from a recent storm, and there's water collecting in a spot on the roof of our new addition. Plus MH gets super anxious about anything that goes wrong with the house. Can we PLEASE get a break???
  • @fameonmain2 ugh I also hate home issues. They can either be something silly and minor or be thousands of $. No in between 😑
  • Loading the player...
  • I got a lab bloodwork bill on Monday for almost $3000 for my NIPT test that gave me a heart attack!!!! Turns out my insurance covers nothing, which I figured, but I opted to participate in a study questionnaire to bring the price down to only around $400. Luckily it was an easy fix once I called, but DANG those blood tests are expensive! My initial round (hCG/progesterone) in early pregnancy was over $300! How do they charge so much for these????
  • @minnie_yoga_mama Oh wow that’s so expensive!! Lucky you were able to participate in that study to bring it down. I had NIPT done too (I’m not in the US) and the full cost was $450 (ie not insurance, discount or anything) and the bloods actually get sent to a lab in the US for processing! It’s amazing they can charge what they want depending on the jurisdiction 
  • @minnie_yoga_mama NIPT is rarely covered by insurance unless you're 35+. My insurance with DD3 did cover it, but our insurance this time did not. Very lame. But it's a non-standard test. 
  • WTF to people panic buying again... I'm in the Vancouver area (BC) and the province got hit by massive rain, flooding and mudslides, cutting off all our highway access to the rest of the country. But seriously, we're the port city, and the border city (thank you American produce)! The supply chain concern is much more for the interior parts of the province, but stores down here are insane, almost as bad as the early pandemic.
  • @minnie_yoga_mama it's unbelievable. Mine is still pending through insurance, the company charged $3,000 in 3 separate claims. Luckily mine is 100% covered, but it's almost comical watching these different claims go through, get denied, and then go through again with a different amount.

@doula-mama ugh. That's every impending snowstorm here. Are you at least okay where you are? That sounds like scary stuff.

• Last week, I wrote down that the housekeeper was supposed to come every Tuesday. And I'm pretty positive we definitely decided on Tuesdays because I was debating Thursday, but I didn't want to deal with skipping a week during Thanksgiving week.... so I frantically prepped, with my extraordinarily painful back, all morning yesterday, and then she never showed.... because she wrote down Thursday -_- so that was fun yesterday. 
  • @minnie_yoga_mama I can't believe the cost!!! We lucked out with ours where they were going to tell us the cost before we got the results so we could decide and it was only $100. Healthcare is truly the biggest scamming industry. I hope you don't get any more surprise bills, that's just instant stress even if you can afford them.
  • WTF to all these costs! Agree that insurance is a damn scam. I didn't do NIPT because they do the Panorama but just that test plus testing the 4000 vials of blood they took for the other things was almost 2k-$450 after insurance and my HRA covered it. Getting down there in HRA though, it won't be long with that kind of cost for everything before I have to start paying out of pocket until I hit 5000. Someone on here I think suggested ot keep all insurance benefit claims, HRA payout receipts and hospital bills and I have 100% started doing that to make sure they match up-the $450 bill my HRA covered is still showing as unpaid in my hospital portal and I'm like, "no sir! Not paying! got proof right here someone already did!" 

I have a school WTF. A paraeducator (teacher's assistant kind of) who recently posted all over Facebook how unsafe our school is and she's always scared to go to work for Covid (which is crazy, we follow all protocols. We're not as intense as my kid's school but they've had way more cases than us even with the intense protocols). She was reported by a bunch of teachers and I think she might get fired. But seriously why cause panic like that on social media amongst parents? We're all already stressed here! It's not helpful. 
  • Ok I need to vent for a second. We are supposed to travel 6 hours to MA for Thanksgiving this year and we just got a call from my husband's uncle (the host) that they want my 5 year old to get a covid test before arriving. 
    First of all-- everyone in my husband's family is FULLY VAXXED 
    My 5 year old is PARTIALLY VAXXED already 
    My 2 year old obviously cannot be vaxxed

I understand partially vaxxed isn't fully vaxxed but why just my 5 year old? They didnt request it of my 2 year old... they made a mention of my 5 year old being in public school? Like -- he's more apt to get it because my 2 year old is in private? I dont understand 

and why are two fully vaxxed people asking me -- the pregnant one with two little kids who is driving 6 hours to get her child tested. Shouldn't they be getting tested for us!?

Apparently it's for the wife's immunocompromised friend -- who by wont even be at our thanksgiving! 
    cant she get tested before seeing her friend? 
    I dont feel like it's right to take my child out of school to bring him to the doctor, hold his hands down as a huge swab is jammed up his nose for some rando friend. Ugh 

Me: 36 DH: 36
    Married: October 2011
    DS: January 2016
    DS: May 2019
    #3: April 2022
  • @winterviolethope I think best practice would be everyone involved getting a rapid test before and after travel - this is pretty well supported by people I wouldn't even consider particularly covid cautious. You can get rapid tests to take at home at CVS. <3 
  • I'm only seeing nasal swabs -- do you know if they sell rapid spit tests anymore? I mean -- I can't see how traveling to MA in our car is different than traveling to see my family within NJ ALL the time. I dont get tested everytime I go to my grandparents' house for birthday cake haha 
  • doxiemoxie212doxiemoxie212 member
    edited November 2021
    @winterviolethope you don't have to stick them so so far up their nose, from what I understand, for non-PCR. A lot of the actual testing facilities are oral swabs, though. Cruises require testing, and I have friends who have to get their kids tested so it's pretty common. And that's fine that your comfortability with risk is what it is, but I think it's important to respect other people's comfortability. I don't think it's fair to be upset with someone for setting a boundary with you - if you don't want to respect the boundary then kindly decline attendance. Cases are rising very rapidly in Europe despite high vaccination rates, and we're usually not that far behind them. 
  • fameonmain2fameonmain2 member
    edited November 2021
    @winterviolethope no opinion here really either way, but I'm in MA and just so you know it's really easy to get a rapid PCR test here at CVS that's ready in like an hour if that's something you are considering. With the holidays I'm not sure how booking is but it's just a nasal swab that goes into each nostril about 1 inch. There's also a lot of rapid antigen tests around here, too.

edited to add that the PCR tests and the antigen tests at CVS are not the ones that go way way far up.
  • @doxiemoxie212 id feel differently if they were requesting it of everyone and not singling out my son. Two guests will be traveling by plane and it’s not being requested of them. I think I’m going to say “good point. Everyone should get tested because I’m pregnant and my booster isn’t scheduled until after thanksgiving and my 2  year old isn’t vaccinated” 
    let them get tested too 
  • @winterviolethope definitely agree it's unfair to think your son is more high risk of carrying than anyone else
  • @winterviolethope You’re a lot nicer than I am for even thinking about what to do, I’d be like “sorry we’re not coming.” I don’t have time for that. If they want you to get tested they need to have everyone tested, especially the people traveling through airports. 
  • @aloha_mama trust me… I want to but my mother in law is innocent in all this and flying in from Atlanta and I would feel so bad if she couldn’t see us on thanksgiving :(