June 2022 Moms

Covid safety?

Hi everyone ๐Ÿ‘‹

I'm a little at a loss of what to do for Covid safety during pregnancy.

Some of our best friends are having a Halloween party with ~25 people in their small house. We don't know everyone attending and so don't know their vaccination statuses, plus even some of our vaccinated friends have gotten Covid. I'm not sure if I should skip or how I could take extra precautions.

But then we just had dinner at a restaurant with these friends after I knew I was pregnant. It was more like a sports bar and tons of people there. Should I not be going out to restaurants anymore also?

What are you all doing to ensure Covid safety? I know that pregnant women get more severe Covid and it could also cause pregnancy complications, so I'm just sort of lost on what I should be doing. ๐Ÿฅบ

Re: Covid safety?

• I think this has the potential to become a really heated discussion and I know people have different risk appetites and schools of thought, but I'd encourage you to speak with your OBGYN about it. I always err on the side of caution with Covid and pregnancy and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable.ย 
  • conni0205conni0205 member
    edited October 2021
    I would also talk to your OB. I think that they will be able to let you based on your community what is ok and what isnโ€™t.ย 
  • Loading the player...
  • My husband and I are both vaccinated and we both got covid (at different times, after being vaccinated). I personally would not go. I feel a little safer now that I'm vaccinated AND have had covid, but I know he risk is there to be infected again.
  • There are a bunch of family things coming up that I'm now backing out of because I know that half the people that are coming aren't vaccinated. I'm erring on the side of caution like others. Even though I'm vaccinated and getting my booster, I don't care. I have something else to consider.ย 
    Me: 38 BF: 35
    TTC Journey
    TTC since 1/2020
    AMA and poor sperm motility/count/morp
    5% chance of IUI success
    10/26/2021 - MC#1

Zoey Catherine
    10/17/2012 - 7/4/2018
    She fought DIPG (brain cancer) for 2 years
    #LETTHELIGHTSHINE
    http://zoeyslight.org/
    https://www.instagram.com/casey_steinv2.0/

• Thanks ladies, I think maybe I'll skip out on large gatherings, maybe loosen up a little once I get my booster and into the 2nd trimester.ย 

Are you ladies avoiding indoor restaurants too? ๐Ÿฅบ
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited October 2021
    @huckleberrypie Since I have 3 unvaccinated kids living with me I barely do anything.ย  I won't go to an indoor restaurant.ย  I won't go to social gatherings other than close family who is also vaccinated in small numbers, I don't let my kids have play dates except with nieces and nephews bc I trust my BIL and SIL and the precautions that they are taking.ย  Even though I'm vaccinated we still have to take all the precautions like we're not.ย  Now that I'm pregnant and we are considered "immunocompromised" I will probably be even more cautious.ย  You should definitely get a run down of does and don'ts from your Dr.ย  ย  ย 

Edit to tag
  • As others have mentioned, I would avoid any indoor gatherings at this time. With 2 unvaxxed kids atย  home, I am not being even more paranoid. Our whole family is fully vaccinated and luckily in our area rates are low right now, but I'm still being cautious. I'd be ok being outdoors with others, but not indoors. Haven't been to an indoor restaurant in a while as well. My doctor suggested the booster during 2nd trimester because of pregnancy now.ย 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFNย ย 
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• Would any of you fly in the first trimester? Iโ€™m a little nervous with Covidย 
  • @cheraec weโ€™re supposed to fly in Jan, so out of first trimester, but Iโ€™m super nervous about it. ย I was going ask my dr what extra precautions to rake
  • @cheraec this was pre-covid, but I flew in the first trimester with my 2 previous pregnancies. My doc wasn't concerned. I flew recently for the first time in 2 years and it was definitely nerve wrecking, but knowing I was vaccinated made me feel better. I'm also the one in 2 masks on the plane, call me crazy. I think if your doctor is fine with it and you take all the necessary precautions, you should be ok.ย 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFNย ย 
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• @Tulips29 I was also going to double up on masks. Or possibly look for some N95s.ย 
  • I would not fly. We were supposed to go to Florida in November and I didn't hesitate to cancel once we found out I'm pregnant.ย 
  • tmarie0805tmarie0805 member
    edited October 2021
    Just out of curiosity from the responses hereโ€ฆwhere the heck do you guys live that COVID is so bad?! My goodness haha. We have twenty five cases in our city so Iโ€™m not super concerned. More concerned about a car accident myself haha. I am from Canada.ย 
  • USA haha I'm from WA state, it's not too bad here compared to some of the southern states, but my brother in law and his entire workplace just had it, which freaks me out. He was vaccinated too.
  • tmarie0805tmarie0805 member
    edited October 2021
    Oh Jesus. Iโ€™m from northern Canada. I, personally, donโ€™t even know anyone whoโ€™s had it haha. Iโ€™ve heard some rumblings about Florida and stuff on the news. Hope you stay healthy!! Thatโ€™s nuts!
  • Iโ€™m in Colorado and donโ€™t even know what to believe about the data. I do know airplanes have always kind of grossed me out and I decided to not fly because pregnancy is kicking my ass and I was gonna just fly with my 19 MO. Too much work hahah
  • Iโ€™m on the boarder of the south and Midwest I donโ€™t really know anyone real worried about covid anymore. Iโ€™ve not heard of anyone catching it in monthsย 
  • Northern California & Iโ€™m not really worried about it.ย 
  • Also, @knottie3137bea263faf841 you should change your username so we can differentiate between you & the other million knottie accounts.ย 
  • Iowa here. ย A little worried re: Covid but we aren't out and about a ton anyway.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Iโ€™m in CT and Iโ€™m still terrified, not as terrified as last winter but nothing has changed with us as far as what precautions were taking. ย Iโ€™m not risking having one of my kids be the kid to catch it and end up with serious complications or long haul. Itโ€™s not worth it to me. ย 
  • Iโ€™ve flown several times during COVID, both before and after finding out. I wonโ€™t fly certain airlines anymore due to lack of enforcement, but I am comfortable otherwise - planes are honestly pretty safe because of the air circulation. I wear a KN95 on the plane and try to find a place to eat at the airports where I can have distance from others. I will typically fly up until 34 weeks.ย 
  • @marionberry19 Iโ€™ve tried to change it like fifty times and for whatever reason it wonโ€™t change. It says โ€œan error has occurredโ€ smh. I updated the app and everything. I donโ€™t know whatโ€™s going on haha.ย 
  • @knottie3137bea263faf841 you may need to do it on a browser instead of the app.ย 
  • @marionberry19 gotcha, Iโ€™ll do that next time I find myself on a computer. Haha.ย 

• knottie31a285f2d736f393

Wow! Thatโ€™s nuts! Stay safe down there. I wonder why people wonโ€™t get vaccinated?? Is there a large antivax in the states? I know in Canada Alberta is struggling to get people vaccinated over safety fears but we refer to them as the Texas of Canada hahaha. Theyโ€™re nuts redneck and conservative.ย 

• The Texas of Canada is hilarious! We like to joke (but itโ€™s scarily accurate and not really that funny) about how Texas would be itโ€™s own fascist country if it succeeded from the Union. Itโ€™s very anti vax here in Northern California. Probably a lot like Texas in fact lol. Lots of conspiracy theorists up here. Lots of Q Anon confused people. Within our city council even. Itโ€™s very disturbing. At least one of the most vocal angry fascists is leaving this countyโ€ฆ. for Texas (after his court hearing for attacking a local black man at his job). Itโ€™s very racist up here. Lots of confederate and state of Jefferson flags.ย 

Our town has had too many viral videos of crazy conspiracy theorists screaming at city council and school board meetings. Hours and hours of footage.ย 

Multiple citizen โ€œmilitiasโ€ that the local sheriff (who posts racist drivel on his public Facebook account) will call to be backup. There was a Black Lives Matter march in our town that was really just a few caring people who were vastly outnumbered by the militias, sheriff and police. Hundreds of armed men surrounding maybe a dozen peaceful protestors.ย 

San Francisco Iโ€™ve heard is like stepping into a dream. Everyone wears masks and the vaccination rate is super high. Iโ€™m just hours away and here itโ€™s like a whole other world. A world that doesnโ€™t believe in science. ๐Ÿ˜ข

• I donโ€™t know what part of Northern California you live in, obviously. But where I live most people are vaccinated and everyone wears masks. Itโ€™s required so I donโ€™t see how you couldnโ€™t? Youโ€™d get kicked out. I havenโ€™t been to SF since this started, but I cannot imagine how it could be any different.ย 
  • knottie31a285f2d736f393ย  omg haha. That sounds like our Texas (Alberta). Theyโ€™re already gung ho to be separated from the rest of Canada and form their own country hahaha. Theyโ€™re nuts. Very redneck and racist. My cousins live there and tell me horror stories. They had people protesting at hospitals over vaccinationโ€ฆnot sure how impeding the health care workers jobs is going to help them get their point across. ICU is swamped. My aunt is a respiratory therapist and is just heartbroken seeing all the people with lasting COVID symptoms. Sheโ€™s just traumatized after this and has been in that line of work for 50 years. Itโ€™s nuts. And Alberta is cutting nurse wages of all things lol. Theyโ€™re another breed so I get that.ย 
  • Where I live in Northern California, no one wears masks unless their employers require them to. No employees tell customers to wear masks and many staff that wear masks wear literal fishnet masks which do absolutely nothing against the virus. No one has been kicked out of a store from not wearing a mask, Iโ€™ve never seen it. For example, I went to the grocery store yesterday and I counted three other customers wearing masks. Maybe half the staff wearing masks. They donโ€™t care here. Itโ€™s Shasta county btw. Look it up. Itโ€™s horrible here.ย 
  • edited November 2021
    Idk if you are aware, but San Francisco has a massively high vaccination rate and it sounds like most people wear masks. Itโ€™s the opposite here. Science denial everywhere. Lots of shops here refused to shut down when asked. I wouldnโ€™t, but I guarantee you I could go into any shop in town without a mask and no one would say anything.ย 
  • I live four hours from SF, my point was that I couldnโ€™t imagine how it would be any different than where I live as masks are required. Does Shasta not have mask mandates?ย