July 2022 Moms

Pregnant after miscarriage

Hello.
I had a miscarriage in August and that was my first pregnancy. I felt several symptoms early on with that, sore boobs and nausea. I am having no symptoms this time. I'm approx 4wk2days with estimated due date of July 1. Should I be worried?

Re: Pregnant after miscarriage

• Hi! I had a miscarriage in  August too and I'm also pregnant again! My due date is July 2nd :).  My symptoms are different too this time around. From what I've read, it's normal for symptoms to be different in different pregnancies. Many pregnant women have 0 symptoms at all this early so don't worry, it's normal! 
  • Thanks! I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!!
  • Loading the player...
  • @knottie567890 & @knottie01e488a899eb1ed8 - So glad to have you both here! I'm also pregnant after loss. Hopefully this works out for all of us! And hopefully you both stick around so we can get to know you both better. If you'd like, there's a guide in the ***READ THIS FIRST*** thread with instructions on updating your username so it's easier for us to pick you out from the other generic assigned usernames!
  • alloweallowe member
    edited October 2021
    I also had a miscarriage in August. Sorry you ladies had to experience that also. So grateful for the joy now! I’m pregnant w my fourth babe, due July 7. I rarely have symptoms this early, and even when I do, it’s never been morning sickness, just the tender boobs, exhaustion, round ligament pain here and there. Praying we don’t have a lot of symptoms, rather easy, healthy pregnancies!! 
  • @edb687 sorry to hear about your loss. I hope this one is a sticky baby for you ❤ I was convinced I wasn't pregnant this time because I wasn't having any symptoms like I did with my first. My boobs were so tender then and now at 4w4d I don't really have any symptoms that shout pregnancy.
  • I am so excited for all of us and I am praying that these babies stick! I'm sure they will! I'm 5 weeks today and yesterday I had some serious exhaustion and nausea but no boob tenderness. Hopefully it stays this easy lol... thanks for sharing your experiences too!
  • Hi! I also had a pregnancy loss in August and July 11  due date. Line is still on the lighter side but darkening every day 
    my only symptom is occasionally slightly sore boobs. I don’t have much by way of symptoms until about 6 weeks in my past 2 pregnancies 
  • Hi guys, humping on this as I’ve had a few losses these past few years. My furthest was in 2018 and 2016 so very hopeful that this is our little one for all of us! Really glad that we’ve got a lovely group to support us each week on the pregnant after loss threads 
  • @runnergirl79 sorry for you loss. loss in august for me as well, a chemical pregnancy before 5 weeks. i’m due 7/13. line is still faint as well, hard not to be worried but trying to keep hope! peeing a lot and super hungry are my main symptoms so far 
  • @moonriver_and_me
    sorry for your loss
    my Lines are much darker yesterday and even more today so that makes me feel a little better. I’ve started peeing a ton the last 2 days too 🤣
    I called my OB office today and they are having me come in later this week. 
  • Hey folks - I just dropped my intro in that thread, and I'm so glad to see this board already being an active support network for each other. 

I'm a multi-loss mama with a hopeful heart. Happy to offer support, answer questions... or maybe it's just nice to know that you are not alone here if you've had a rough go too. 

Sincerely wishing all of you peace on your journey and praying for the best outcome for each and every one of us.

💜💜💜💜💜
  • Has anyone had an OB appt at 4 weeks? (Or even 5) curious what they did at that stage. I know I’m having an ultrasound and know not to expect much but wonder what they’ll look for. 
  • @runnergirl2018 - yes! I've had two at 5 weeks, and each time they sent me after my blood levels reached 1800-2000. At that point my OBGYN said they can expect to see a gestational sac on an ultrasound, which helps rule out "pregnancy of unknown location" (ectopic for example).

Hope that helps 💜
  • @rubyrose_0919
    Thank you! as it turned out the US was a mistake to be scheduled today. i'm just 4+3.  Doc prescribed progesterone and is sending me for HCG beta tests and said as soon as it's over 1500 that they would do ultrasound, so probably in a week or two.

Has anyone here been on progesterone in first tri?
  • First beta results from yesterday (4+4) was 1129 which seems really good. Fingers crossed for increasing at my next one! 
    Anyone have their progesterone levels checked? Mine did this time since my last pregnancy was a MC and it was 23.2 which I think seems high/good? My OB preemptively prescribed progesterone just in case 
  • @runnergirl2018 I most likely will have my progesterone tested. I had a loss in July and had very low progesterone. Waiting for my OB to open to give them a call and see what next steps will be. I’m trying not to worry but it’s hard. I’m glad your levels are looking good so far!! 😊
  • I took progesterone with my first pregnancy in August and though my progesterone level is higher this time, my MD wants me to take it again. thankfully this time I am just taking 1 by mouth rather than vaginally like last time.. 
  • I had a MMC in April, now pregnant again. I called my doctor and they said I couldn't come in before 9 weeks... I told them my last pregnancy didn't make it that long. I am actually hopeful to hear you went in around 4w and they will do an ultrasound around 5/6w. I am trying to get the same timing for me! I just want some confirmation. 

I had a couple HCG tests last time but they didn't check my progesterone. I am going to talk to my dr. about testing progesterone as well. This is making me sound like a nightmare patient but I just need some reassurance
  • @quelinda99 Yes- advocate for yourself!!
    I don't know if you are in the same situation, but i now fall in the "advanced maternal age" category so i don't know if that has made a difference in my care, but i think generally the OBs i see do whatever they can to help.

@edb687 hope it helps this time! can i ask what your progesterone level is at?

@sunshineandlemons i hope they are supportive and give you clear steps!  after reading more online (ahh) i feel less confident that my levels are good, but i know they aren't terrible.  I can't wait to talk with my doc on wednesday. I know i could call there now but they are checking HCG again tomorrow and will have the results by Wednesday so i figure i can just talk to them then
  • @runnergirl2018 Thank you! I am not advanced mat age but I call and they said I can come in tomorrow for a blood test and prob a follow up later in the week to see if they are doubling. I totally forgot to ask about progesterone  :s ugh. But I am hoping if my HCG levels meet their threshold (2000) I can argue for an early ultrasound. I feel like my doctor would be happy to do it but I don't even know how to get to him. The phone just goes through reception and triage and they are pretty responsive but I'd rather just see my doctor. 
  • My doctor’s office called back and they had me come in for blood work but it’s just to check HCG. I explained my concern for checking progesterone and they still said they’re checking this for now, so hopefully my levels are good and I’ll get to talk to the doctor soon (I only spoke with the nurse this morning and she was a sub, so maybe this is just what the standard procedure is for the office after a MC and she didn’t look at my records). I just feel frustrated and kind of in the dark because I don’t know why they wouldn’t test progesterone or at least put me on it as a precautionary thing given my history. I’ll just keep thinking positive in the meantime.
  • @quelinda99 that's great!!  i find if i leave a message for the nurses, that sometimes gets the doc to just call me back directly.  They told me that once my HCG is 1500-2000 they would do an ultrasound

@sunshineandlemons i'm sorry to hear that.  Can you see if you can leave a message for your OB to call you back? it seems silly to not order it since they are drawing labs anyways.  fingers crossed for you!
  • @sunshineandlemons I've had that conversation before (and even when I called last week when I got my BFP). A lot of OBs just don't seem to believe progesterone plays a major part in miscarriages. It's not know if lowered progesterone causes the MC to happen, or progesterone drops because you're in the process of miscarrying. Is progesterone your PCP could order for you so you have it without having to get the OB to order it?
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • @runnergirl2018 I think I’m going to have to try to leave a message specifically for the doctor. Hopefully, even if she doesn’t change anything she can explain why.

@inthewoods23 good idea. I could talk to my PCP and see what she can do.
  • @sunshineandlemons good idea. And like someone else said, the research I’ve seen says progesterone supplements only show a statistically significant benefit when there are 3 or more miscarriages. There is an increase in positive outcomes in other cases but not at a Significanr level. I know my OB and some others use earlier because of the believe low risk of any harm from using it and potential benefit before someone gets to that many losses. 
  • @sunshineandlemons I feel the same way! It is frustrating!! To me, it's just ... if there is a possibility that my progesterone might be low and that risk could be mitigated, why not just at least add it to the labs so we know what the levels are? I work in data science so I'm always looking for the data lol

@inthewoods23 @runnergirl2018 I had never considered asking my PCP. Also I had never heard the stat that progesterone helps after 3+ miscarriages! That's interesting. It calms me down a little bit :) Wish my office would communicate these things!

I just realized, maybe it's my hormones that are making me a little extra annoyed. I still think what I'm feeling is valid... but my fuse seems to be mighty short. I just had that lightbulb go off and a couple of moments in the last couple of days are making more sense  o:)
  • @quelinda99 I feel lucky for my OB in sharing some stuff, I am a psychologist and love research so i sometimes look some research up - and I think/wonder sometimes if docs share more research with me because of my job or if i just happen to pick and stick with those providers because they naturally provide information that I appreciate.  i agree on the lab thing , like why is it a big deal to even take a look at it? I will say I realized today that on my repeat HCG labs they didn't automatically check progesterone again to see if it's rising, although as I understand it, it rises much more slowly than HCG - which seems like a good reason to not check it again before looking at the whole picture
  • @runnergirl2018 That is so lucky! I had to laugh today because I went in to get my labs, and there wasn't a single person sitting in the waiting room. I walked up to the desk and they told me to walk right in, got my blood drawn, and was out in 2 minutes. I was walking out, still no one there. Made me laugh and roll my eyes! 
  • edb687edb687 member
    edited November 2021
    @Runnergirl2018 My progesterone is 20.9 this time
  • Don't be worried, girl. With both of my previous pregnancies I felt completely normal until 6 weeks. And then I felt awful lol
  • stardustskiesstardustskies member
    edited November 2021
    TW: I had a missed miscarriage back in September. I just called my ob-gyn to make an appointment for this pregnancy and the scheduler sent a message to my doc asking if any labs need to be completed. She just called back and said the doctor ordered an hcg quant and progesterone. Basically, I don't think they are necessary and since we have a high deductible plan, everything is out of pocket. I don't feel like wasting $100+ just for them to say "Oh, ok, yep you're pregnant, everything looks good, see you next month!" Anyway- Has anyone had these labs done and know about how much they cost? And I don't think one previous miscarriage puts me into a high risk category. Especially since my body held onto the pregnancy even though it wasn't viable? Idk I'm just trying to not waste money here but also want to do what the doctor says if necessary. (A few months ago I got slapped with a $100 lab bill from a UTI even though I knew what it was and so did my doctor but they sent it for culture anyway.. ugh. I just wish insurance in the US was better. It's so bad.)
  • @stardustskies I looked into getting an HCG test through Labcorp until my doctor ordered one for me (luckily covered by insurance) - it was somewhere around $45 for one test. I don't think it included progesterone though. Not sure if your test will be the same through your obs office but that's the only amount I've heard
  • Progesterone was only 12.1 so they just prescribed me daily progesterone. Now I'm all kinds of worried. I don't think that's that low right? I was 5+5 when they tested. I had two miscarriages so I think they're just doing it as a precaution. 
  • @stardustskies i'm not sure about cost, but right - they are just looking to make sure HCG is elevating normally - i had aj MMC in Aug and my HCG would have looked (and actually did look perfect) at that point.  the progesterone piece can possibly be helpful, although my OB preemptively put me on it before we even had lab results back.  my  D&C and all the OB cossts for that MC were so much that my costs now are low since we've paid so much out of pocket already.  progesterone that is low can either be a symptom of something with your overies or a sign that it is going to be a MC and there is potentially something that can be done about it (data is slightly mixed but there's a potential benefit to taking supplemental progesterone, so that could possibly be helpful information.  you can ask for the billing codes from the lab and call your insurance to ask for specific costs for your policy for those codes)

@thegeekymom from all my research and talking to knowledgeable OBs, i understand anything 5 or lower to be low and concerning adn anything 25-30 or over to be good. everything in the middle is really non-predictive of good or bad outcomes.  i got put on progesterone at 4+4 at my first OB appt and they ordered labs that day.  my level is around 23 but i've just been told to keep taking it.  i see my OB this week when i'll be 6+4 so i'll see what they say then!
  • @thegeekymom in my last pregnancy that ended in MC they put me on progesterone when I got down to 14. They want it above 20 at least I think.

In my case they want it over 50 but I'm a unique case.
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle

Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause
  • @runnergirl2018 Ok thanks for that info! I called the lab and they gave me an estimate- a little over $200 for those two labs. I think I'm gonna pass. 🤦‍♀️ Save up for the ultrasound. Thank you guys
  • I couldn't deal with the anxiety. Left a message with the nurse, hopefully they can schedule a new blood draw so we can compare levels. I don't want to wait the 2 weeks for the ultrasound, and DH is super worried about the ultrasound because it's at 8 1/2 weeks and that's what our missed miscarriage measured at. I swear the fact that all of this is happening around the holidays makes it feel 10,000 times worse. I feel like I'm going to throw up, and I did throw up twice yesterday so at least I got that going for me, right? 😭 
  • @thegeekymom that all sounds so stressful--sending tons of love your way <3 I hope you hear back soon and they get you in for a blood draw!
  • They said since my progesterone was in the middle and they prescribed me progesterone they didn't think a follow up blood draw was necessary. They said that the fact that my HCG is perfectly aligned with my LMP is a really good sign and I might just be someone that has low progesterone (Weirdly, I don't think they ever tested it in any of my other 4 pregnancies.) They scheduled a blood draw for next Tuesday for my own peace of mind anyway though. So now we wait, I'm glad I called though, better than sitting here worrying and not doing anything about it. 
  • @thegeekymom I don't know what it is with doctors just acting all "whatever, you're fine". I don't see why they wouldn't want to automatically do their due diligence and confirm that your progesterone is at the very least being maintained vs continuing to drop after adding progesterone. But maybe the logical engineer in me is asking for too much!
    *TW* History:

TTC #1 since 7.2017

IUI #1-3 all BFN

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    TTC put on pause