Baby Names
Options

Name spelling

So we decided on the name Rosalyn for our baby girl. We love the name, but my husband and I had different opinions on spelling. I wanted the traditional spelling Rosalyn and he wanted Roslyn or Rozlyn. We decided to go the traditional route but now I'm worried that her name will be mispronounced. I've already had a few people think it's pronounced Rose-uh-lyn (should be Roz-uh-lyn) and a few people say they're going to call her Rosie which I hate!! I wouldn't mind Roz for a nickname, but hate Rose or Rosie. 

So anyway, I'm not sure whether to keep the traditional spelling or change it for easier pronunciation. I already have her name on a t-shirt for my mother and mother in law that were mother's day gifts and a ring with her name on it so I'm hesitant to change it, but it's not like it's on a birth certificate yet. 

Re: Name spelling

• Options
    bartonoliviabartonolivia member
    edited June 2020
    I pronounced “Rosalyn” as “rose-uh-lyn” 
    I feel like you’ll have better luck with Roslyn. 
    But for some reason I want to pronounce it “Roz-lyn” 
  • Options
    I don’t like the z spelling, but I agree that if you don’t want the extra syllable in the pronunciation spell it Roslyn. Expect people to still say it incorrectly though.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Roslyn will not have many pronunciation issues, as compared to Rosalyn. Just reading your 1st sentence I pronounced it as Rose-a-Lynn. 
  • Options
    I read it how you intended for it to be pronounced and when I got to the part where you said people were pronouncing it like Rose in the beginning I was surprised. Maybe because Rose-uh-lyn isn't a name so I thought people would just assume that? Apparently I'm in the minority on that though.

When I Googled Rosalyn, name sites came up in the top few results. When I Googled Roslyn, they didn't.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    mb0112mb0112 member
    Roslyn and Rozlyn seem incomplete to me. Not to further complicate things but have you considered Rosaline? It comes with the pronunciation issue of Rose-a-line but I think it’s meant to be pronounced Ross-a-lyn and it looks prettier to me.
  • Options
    Roslyn is a town near me pronounced Roz-lyn. I think without the "a" it looks like a two syllable name. But I will admit when I started reading your post, I thought it was Rose-uh-lyn. 
  • Options
    I think it should be Rozuhlyn or something like that because when i first saw the name i thought it was rose-uh-lyn. Unless you don't mind correcting people.
  • Options
    Roslyn is a popular town on Long Island. Rosalyn is a name
    Me: 36 DH: 36
    Married: October 2011
    DS: January 2016
    DS: May 2019
    #3: April 2022
  • Options
    I believe the name should be Rozzuhlyn or something like because when I first saw it, I mistook it for Rose-uh-lyn.
  • Options
    @falcon_is_here this thread is from 2020... this baby has long since been named.