May 2022 Moms
Options

Anxiety

Is anyone else having extreme anxiety right now? Because I don’t feel pregnant I’m constantly going down a dark rabbit hole to something being wrong. This is my first pregnancy and even though my HCG levels were fine last week and I’m having breast soreness, mild nausea and a lot of bloating, I’m constantly feeling like my baby isn’t there or like it’s stopped growing. I had anxiety before pregnancy and I feel like it’s preventing me from being excited about anything. Please tell me this is normal and will pass. I reached out to my OB about it because they don’t want to see me for my first visit until Oct 27 when I’ll be 11 weeks and I don’t think I can wait that long. Any reassurance would be so appreciated!!!

Re: Anxiety

• Options
    I have had the same anxiety and symptoms... I have only had one appointment for blood work and my ultrasound is scheduled for November 3 so I'll be 12 weeks. I definitely can understand your feelings as it's my first pregnancy too. I want to be excited but most of the time I'm just terrified. I know from others though that it is normal to worry before you get that confirmation... so hang in there and know you're not alone
  • Options
    I am a FTM and have anxiety constantly. I am 11+3, have had all my initial blood work and my dating US which put my mind at ease for about 5 minutes 😊 Now I find myself having a ton of anxiety around my NT scan and NIPT test next week and just praying everything comes back normal. I am really trying to enjoy the early part of this pregnancy but find myself worrying more than enjoying this time. I am even not allowing myself to buy anything baby related yet, so much anxiety! I completely know how you feel!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey ladies, I totally know how this feels!! I had a ton of anxiety with my first pregnancy and postpartum. I assumed it was totally normal and something that comes with the territory of becoming a parents. To a certain extent, worry is normal. But anxiety is different and can be so consuming. I’m sorry you’re walking through it! I know it sucks. 

I just want to mention that although anxiety is common, it IS treatable and doesn’t have to be your new normal. Whether you’ve struggled with it pre-pregnancy or it’s new to you now, it often doesn’t just go away unless it’s treated and having it in pregnancy puts you at a higher risk for experiencing it postpartum, too. 

I don’t say that to scare anyone AT ALL! I know anxiety is scary enough on it’s own. I just want to encourage you to talk to your health care provider about it and see if there is anything they would recommend (it doesn’t just have to be meds- there are other kinds of “therapy” solutions like exercise, talk therapy, yoga, journaling, etc) 

I’m not saying anyone has a diagnosable perinatal mood disorder, that is not for me to say. But you can talk to your provider and see if maybe you do and how you can be supported. It doesn’t hurt to bring it up :)

https://lagunatreatment.com/support-for-women/perinatal-mood-disorders/
    tons more online if you Google “perinatal mood disorders” (perinatal means through pregnancy and postpartum)

Hope this helps. Again- not trying to scare anyone or make you feel worse. I just know from experience that NOT talking about it doesn’t help either. So might as well bring it up! If it’s not a fit, no worries. 

<3
  • Options
    I want to echo what @brookejay06 said. I suffered from postpartum anxiety and after awhile my husband lovingly told me he thought I needed some professional help because he just didn't know how to help me. He was right. I found a therapist who specialized in postpartum anxiety, and now I see a psychiatrist who specializes in working with women who are pregnant or newly postpartum. You don't have to suffer and there are safe ways to deal with anxiety and other mental health issues while pregnant and after pregnancy.