April 2022 Moms

FTM Check-in 10/12

Thought we could try this one out this week since it seems like there's a few of us on here! Probably a little repetitive from the weekly check in so any suggestions on different check-ins welcome!

How far along are you?

Baby is the size of a: 

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in?

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? 

Rants/raves? 

Questions for FTM, or STM+? 

GTKY: Do you plan to celebrate Halloween?  If so, how?

Re: FTM Check-in 10/12

• How far along are you? 14+0 today!

Baby is the size of a: Navel orange

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? wrote this in the other thread but I threw up this morning for the first time... so strange.

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? Did the NIPT bloodwork at the last appt and just waiting for that to come back.

Rants/raves? This baby sure loves bacon! It's all I can think about when it comes time for breakfast every morning. We've started to tell a few more people about the pregnancy so it's feeling more real, but I'm still super cautious. Not sure I'll ever feel 100% comfortable sharing with everyone, but I'm working really hard to enjoy the now.

Questions for FTM, or STM+? What's everyone thinking about in terms of maternity leave? I'm in a weird spot - I'm on a leave from work (teaching) to work on my graduate degree, so what normally would be a pretty cut and dry leave policy. I can go back next year, but I'm not sure I'll want to!

GTKY: Do you plan to celebrate Halloween?  If so, how? I'm really not a big Halloween person, so we don't usually do much aside see my nephew and give him a special candy bag. We also live on a busy street now so we don't get any trick or treaters. But some friends are having a Halloween get together this year so we'll be heading to that... not sure if I'll dress up or not yet!
  • Great idea! Us FTMs usually have questions and anxiety about everything! 😅

How far along are you? 14 weeks + 3 days 

Baby is the size of a: 🍑

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? I’ve had headaches, but nothing serious. My appetite has definitely returned, and I’m snacking like a madwoman all day!! 😬 Only on certain foods though— baby is still very picky about foods still causing nausea and food aversions. Other than that I feel weirdly normal! Now that my energy and appetite have improved I feel like a real person again lol!

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? We had our appointment last week and listened to baby boy’s heartbeat on a Doppler!💙 It’s just such a relief hearing it going into the 2nd trimester now! It finally feels like it’s actually happening!!

Rants/raves? I MISS CHOCOLATE. So much. I know many women eat it during pregnancy and are completely fine but I decided to cut it out for these 9 months due to the caffeine and theobromine content. A giant steamy cup of ceremonial cacao is def going to be my first “meal” after giving birth!

Questions for FTM, or STM+? NATM

GTKY: Do you plan to celebrate Halloween?  If so, how? One of my friends is having a costume party at her house, so we’re cautiously planning to attend while fully masked! We just bought costumes this weekend— we’re going as Mike and Sulley from Monsters Inc. with Mike being the baby bump. 😂 I also got us baseball caps with the Monsters Inc. logo on them like the work helmets they have! 

• Loading the player...
  • @minnie_yoga_mama that costume is so cute! Bless you on not eating the chocolate... I'm eating M&Ms daily!
  • This is such a fun idea!

How far along are you? 13 weeks, 3 days

Baby is the size of a: Lemon

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? Food aversions still going strong. Every day is different though in terms of fatigue or nausea. I like to think things are improving, but it's hard to say! Definitely hungrier. 

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? Latest appnt was last week. Blood/urine/ultrasound and it went well. Baby looks good, but we won't know any results until my 16-week midwife appnt so we're just waiting impatiently for that. We were able to hear the heartbeat as well which was amazing.

Rants/raves? I live in Canada, so we just had our thanksgiving this past weekend. I made a turkey dinner Sunday and about an hour after eating my whole body was shaking and I was actively trying not to throw up. I drank a ginger tea and went to bed but I haven't had such a terrible reaction to food since being pregnant! Usually my aversions just make me avoid food that might not go well, but that was not the case in this situation.

Questions for FTM, or STM+? Does anyone feel like they're showing yet? I have definitely developed a more pronounced bump but it's still a bit of bloating so I feel like I'm at a very awkward belly stage!

GTKY: Do you plan to celebrate Halloween?  If so, how? October has been and will continue to be such a busy month for us, so we are enjoying a rest weekend Halloween weekend. We thought we might start our registry and enjoy all the baby things instead. 

@minnie_yoga_mama - I am in the same boat. Feeling a lot more hungry, snacking lots but the food aversions are still so annoying and strange! I've never been a picky eater so it's been a frustrating symptom lol. Also, adorable costume!
  • @fameonmain2 I mentioned this briefly in the weekly check in, but since he’ll be an April baby, I’m planning to take 3 months of FMLA followed by the 3 months of summer leave that our company offers as a benefit to take off a whole 6 months total. Then when I return I want to go back only 3 days/week. I’m telling my boss about all of this, and that I’m pregnant, this afternoon, so hopefully he will be receptive to this! I just want as much time as I can possibly get! (But also realize I live in the real world and need to make money to pay for our house too)

My parents are both teachers and my mom took off a year with my brother and then 5 years with me, and was able to come back to a job both times. That was 25 years ago though. I think every school is different so it’s probably worth checking to see how long they’d let you take off and be able to come back after!

• How far along are you? 13 + 3

Baby is the size of a: Jalapeno (according to the bump today!)

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? Nothing new necessarily. Just surprised by the puking the last couple of days. I agree with what a few people have said about not normally being a picky eater, but this pregnancy stuff has made me into such a picky person! It's so strange, but I also find it funny and amazing. Our bodies are so amazing!

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? Going into today for my second blood draw for the NIPT. I feel like I'll never know the gender (not true obviously...but that's how it feels!). It was amazing seeing the ultrasound I had last week and getting to see the baby move. It made it feel so much more real!

Rants/raves? Mostly just annoyed with the eating/nausea. I am ready for it to be over! It makes it hard to plan meals for the week when I never know what is going to be ok. But I'm managing...most of my meals/snacks consist of some kind of toasted bread and butter. 

Questions for FTM, or STM+? Anyone else feeling a little anxious about the thought of bringing home the baby? Don't get me wrong -- I have wanted to be a mom my whole life, but now that this is actually happening, the reality of it all sometimes has me feeling overwhelmed at times. I know that everything will work out and to just do my best (blah blah blah), but sometimes when I really sit and think about it I'm amazed and excited, yet also a little freaked out that I'm going to have another human being in my life...for the rest of my life.

GTKY: Do you plan to celebrate Halloween?  If so, how? Most likely not...hopefully gonna watch Hocus Pocus. But I'll be moving the week before Halloween, so won't have much time to settle in or get ready to celebrate. And that's ok with me! Usually I least carve a pumpkin...and I am bummed that I won't get to do that this year. But I'm excited to decorate for Christmas at my new place!
  • @jessabelle05 omg, I never even noticed the daily baby size on this app! I’m so glad you shared that. 
    I agree with how annoying it is to not be able to meal plan! My husband and I often make our own dinners right now because of all these aversions. I also feel like our grocery bill is so much higher every week because I’m running out more often to the store. 
    I haven’t had too much anxiety about bringing the baby home (though that’s a toootally fair thing to be anxious about). I’m more anxious about delivery. I’m trying not to think about it and just take things one month at a time. 

@fameonmain2 Maternity leave is pretty different in Canada so I don’t know that my input would be very helpful to your situation! How much longer is your current leave from work?
  • @Blondesweety444 @natashajn unfortunately I won't be able to take any paid leave just because of how it worked out that I was on unpaid leave this year. But I can take up to 2 years' unpaid maternity leave from teaching and they'll hold my position. Not sure if I want to go back at all though - this year was supposed to be about finishing my degree and exploring other options for my career. Eek! I don't really want to go back to the classroom but I will if I have to.
  • @fameonmain2 yeah that’s a tough decision, but having more time off with baby would be great! That’s good that they hold your job for two years, gives you a back up option but you can still explore other career opportunities in that time. 
  • @jessabelle05 - I understand the pre-baby anxiety. I've been trying to take it one step at a time, but on occasion, it hits me how life changing this is. I've been trying not to imagine the future too much so that I don't have too many expectations. But it's been hard! 

How far along are you? 13 + 0

Baby is the size of a: 🍋

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? I can't stand the smell of Brussels sprouts, which is one of my favorite foods. 🤷‍♀️ Hunger headaches have been starting but dissipate after eating.

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? I had an NT yesterday, and baby did well! Heartbeat in a good range and what a thrill to see her wiggling around. Regular check up is next Thursday. 

Rants/raves? I'm with @natashajn. My growing bump is my rant/rave. It toggles between bump and bloat depending on the time of day, and I'm excited to finally have a bump bump. I've been living on the edge. 

Questions for FTM, or STM+? Is anyone considering a babymoon? If so, when in your pregnancy are you taking it and where? DH and I are considering Disney in January (we love the Epcot food festivals), but it will be right on the end of the second trimester. It makes me both thrilled and nervous.

GTKY: Do you plan to celebrate Halloween?  If so, how? YES! I like to make white cheddar mac and cheese in acorn squash bowls. We usually put on Disney's Coco, wear onesies, and take turns handing out candy. Last year, we built a candy chute, but I'm hoping we can meet trick or treaters at the door this year. 
  • missa_lyssamissa_lyssa member
    edited October 2021
    How far along are you? 13+1

Baby is the size of a: Lemon! 🍋

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? Hurt my lower back yesterday. ☹️ My chiropractor (who is also my father-in-law, lol) said it’s my sacroiliac joint, which can easily become injured during pregnancy because my ligaments are loosening up. Thankfully starting to feel better this morning!

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? My last appointment was last week and was a pretty quick in-and-out. Just talked a bit and heard the heartbeat on the fetal doppler.

Rants/raves? My doctor prescribed me a new prenatal vitamin instead of the OTC one I had been taking, and it has so many rules for when to take it! Empty stomach, in the morning, 1 hr before or 2-3 hrs after a meal, and not within 2 hrs either way or having coffee or dairy. Um, I eat a lot more frequently than that! The timing is just so annoying.
    EDIT to clarify because it sounds like I eat a full meal every 2 hrs :D: Usually first thing in the morning, I have a VERY small breakfast, like toast and coffee. A little while later (less than 2 hours) I have something like a bowl of yogurt and a banana. And then I pretty much try NOT to have an empty stomach for the rest of the day because that's when I feel queasy! So I'm snacking all the time.

Questions for FTM, or STM+? Has anyone else not had an ultrasound yet? My doctor has pretty much said unless some concern comes up, I don’t need one until my 20w appointment. That’s all fine with me as I’ve had a pretty straightforward pregnancy so far, but it sounds like lots of you have had ultrasounds already.

GTKY: Do you plan to celebrate Halloween? If so, how? We are going to a party with my siblings and their families. I’m going as a mummy (teehee), and my husband is going as Brendan Fraser’s character from The Mummy movie. 

His family also has an annual pumpkin carving party with pumpkins they grow themselves! Looking forward to that.
    Me: 30 // Hubs: 31
    Married May 2019
    Baby #1 due April 19, 2022
  • How far along are you? 14+3

Baby is the size of a: Troll doll?

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? I had a break from my nausea for a week or so but the last couple of days I have felt nauseous in a different way, closer to throwing up and I have thrown up a few times. Other than that I'm just waiting for my uterus to figure it out and get up and over my pelvic bone because everything is feeling really squished down in there.

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? I heard the baby's heartbeat last week on the doppler and it was really relieving. It seems so unreal that the baby is fine and I'm this far along.

Rants/raves? +1 to the anxiety about bringing baby home. I have wanted this baby and felt like I was ready for one for about 5 years now. Now that the time is actually here, I sometimes feel a little panicked, like, wth am I going to do with a baby when I bring it home? Sometimes I don't even want to take my dogs for a walk and babies are a lot more demanding. I think I will feel a little less stressed once we get a lot of the items for baby. There's just so many choices and options and not knowing what is necessary and what isn't feels overwhelming.

Questions for FTM, or STM+? Can we add boy, girl, team green to our check ins? I forget what everyone is having.

GTKY: Do you plan to celebrate Halloween?  If so, how? No, I will be working a 12 hour shift, but my partner is planning on doing a couples costume with my dog. He wants to dress up as the Mandalorian and dress the dog as Grogu and then take the dog to work with him, which I just think is so funny, probably because of how excited he is.

@missa_lyssa I haven't had an ultrasound yet either and I won't have one until my 20 week appointment. My doctor just said I'm low risk and therefore don't need one until then.

@fameonmain2 I plan on taking 3 months of FMLA. I have the time saved up to be able to have my time off paid. But since I found out I was pregnant, I'm starting to think about switching careers. I don't love my job. It's rewarding sometimes, a lot of times it's not and right now, it's starting to seem so hard to be away from my baby for 12 hour days. I have no idea what I would do, but I would love to get some type of online degree if necessary (I already have a bachelors) and move to a job where I can work from home or have a partial work from home option.

@minnie_yoga_mama How did it go with your boss?
  • @frannie0422 Just throwing this out there…. Babymoons are great and all but don’t travel too far from home after 26 weeks or so. I’m a NICU nurse in Hawaii and I can’t tell you how many tourists we have that come here for a babymoon and end up delivering a preemie and being stuck here for months.  
  • @frannie0422 I’m going with my family to the Food & Wine festival in EPCOT next weekend! We’re so excited! I can’t wait to eat so much pizza in Italy and crepes in France! 😋 EPCOT’s special to us because we had our wedding reception at the Living Seas behind the Coral Reef restaurant there! Let me know if you have any questions about anything Disney— we are huge Disney people!! Also mac and cheese in acorn squash bowls sound so delicious!!

@missa_lyssa I’ve suffered with terrible SI joint dysfunction for a year and a half now since before becoming pregnant due to having scoliosis. Luckily I’ve kept it under control recently and it’s been a combination of chiropractic adjustments, wearing my SI belt (which I haven’t had to in a while since it’s been fine), and exercises, specifically exercises that strengthen the abductors/adductors of the hips (think: ball squeezes, side lying leg lifts, etc.). I hope it feels better, I understand how truly painful that can be!

Also I know some midwife centers wait a while before giving the first ultrasound as well— I’m sure since they listened to the heartbeat on a Doppler they feel more confident waiting until the 20 week ultrasound.

@dinomeetsjedi It went great, thanks so much for asking! 🙂 He told me we have 4 other PTs/OTs who are currently pregnant or their wife is pregnant right now, and we’re all around the same time too! 😝 He also told me I’m welcome to take off as much time as I want for my leave and they’ll make it work to bring me back after! I probably will stick with 6 months still since we need to be able to afford our new house we’re building, but it’s so nice to know I have the option of I decide I need it!

• How far along are you? 14+5

Baby is the size of a: Peach!

Any new symptoms or changes since last check in? Apetite has changed a bit. I'm not eating as much as I get full and stay full for a while. (Eating 3 normal meals per day now vs every 2 hours). Headaches have improved in the last few days-knock on wood!

Any appointments since last check in? How did it go? No but I have one on Tuesday!

Rants/raves? In that awkward stage where I'm not comfortable in my normal pants but too small for maternity clothes!

Questions for FTM, or STM+? When did you start to noticeably show in your first pregnancy?

GTKY: Do you plan to celebrate Halloween?  If so, how? Not this year, sticking close to home.
  • @covegirl100 I had a bump at 15 weeks but it wasn’t noticeable to other people until maybe 20 weeks. 
  • @covegirl100 I had a bump by 16/17 weeks, but others didn’t start noticing until well past the halfway point. Maybe 22 or 23 weeks?
  • @aloha_mama & @monstera13 okay yeah I think that will be my situation. I notice i clearly have a little bump by the end of the day but others probably think in chubby.  Lol. I'm excited to have an obvious belly! I think by Xmas I will as ill be 25 weeks! :)
  • I feel like I’m an outlier! As a FTM, my belly was already noticeable (at least to me and hubby) by 12 weeks, and is obviously very round at this point! To those who don’t know me, they might think I just have a round belly, but hubby tells me it’s too circular to mistake for having a large stomach. My mom tells me it means I grew a healthy, plump amniotic sac. 😆🤦🏻‍♀️