Infertility

Acupuncture?

Has anyone ever tried acupuncture? I've heard good things. I think I want to try it for my next transfer. When should I start the acupuncture process? Pros and cons?

Re: Acupuncture?

• I went once while I was waiting to start IVF.  I enjoyed it, but it was too expensive to incorporate into my actual treatment and go regularly.  The only acupuncturists I could find in my area were "medical acupuncturists" with MDs... and that was waaaaaay too expensive  ($150 per 45 min session).
    Me (31) & DH (31) - married 2008; TTC since 2013
    SA = normal; HSG = clear; history of DVT/PE
    Diagnosed with unexplained infertility
    IUI #1- April '16 - BFN 
    IUI #2 - May '16 - BFN
    IVF Fresh Xfer #1 (1 blastocyst) - Sept '16 - BFN
    FET #2 - 11/8/16 (2 blastocysts) - Beta on 11/18
    4 more blastocysts on ice
  • I have gone to a few sessions and they were incredible. Very relaxing, and felt as though a had been to a spa. The first time I went, I had a pretty bad lower back-ache, and told him about it while filling out my chart. The first thing he did was put some needles on a few pressure points on my hand, and it was gone for a few hours. The place I went to had a groupon thing going on, but the original 40 minute sessions are $35, which is pretty great. I do not know when the best time would be in regards to the IVF process, but I would like to schedule an appointment soon as well! 
    TTC #1: March 2011 (slightly before)
    Fur-children: 3 dogs + 2 cats (all rescued)
    dx: Endometriosis and Fibroids 
    2 Laps and 1 Abdominal Myomectomy
    6 rounds of clomid
    5 rounds of iui
    Several HSG's sprinkled throughout the years to up my chances of a BFP
    Several dilation of cervix because they suspect the scar tissue is hindering it from fully opening (partially adds to the severe cramps all month)
    IVF #1 Gonal F, Menopur and Cetrotide
    ER 12/1/2016
    ER-Retrieved 22 eggs 10 fertilized
    4/4 day 5 embryos were normal for PGS!!! 2 boys/2 girls
    FET 1/10/2017  
    Gallbladder surgery 1/10/2017
    FET estimated end of Feb, beginning of March

• Loading the player...
  • I've done it, still not quite starting IVF but I started going every other week when I was on clomid. Mine wasn't terrible, $45 for 45 min, and went towards my out of pocket max on my insurance. I found an acupuncturist who specialized in fertility, so she did different points depending on where I was in my cycle. It actually regulated my cycle before I started meds and is very relaxing! My lady knew I hoped to start IVF soon and said she had specific days she'd see me if/when I start that, they're very knowledgeable on it if you find one dealing with fertility :) good luc!
  • Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to call tomorrow!
  • Hi, I did acupuncture for 3 months and loved it! Never got my BFP, but found it to be very relaxing. I think it's definitely worth a try. Best of Luck! 
  • If you get a medical acupuncturist who is good with fertility, you not only get treatment which is great for the stress and before and after transfers to calmnyour uterus but also a sounding board for all the crazy stuff going on in your fertility world. Mine gives me herbs all through my cycle, but most won't do that. 
  • lyna112lyna112 Newbie
    edited August 2021
    Yes, I tried acupuncture when I was in London. In my case acupuncture was really great. I remember I had gone through 3 sessions along with some herbal supplements. Apart from pregnancy it helped me in getting relaxed as well as it provided some energy too. My friend suggested this Chinese treatment and it worked for me as well.
    Pros: Great Treatment, Will provide relaxation for sure.
    Cons: Must consult your GP before going through this
    Still if you need some more information, have a look at this interesting article: https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/features/acupuncture-pain-killer
  • I will be trying it with this next IUI cycle. The acupuncturist said she also recommends Chinese herbs for fertility, but I'm not comfortable trying the herbs during a medicated cycle. 
  • I went this spring and found it surprisingly relaxing! I would recommend for that alone. My acupuncturist recommended treatment a day or so before and after a transfer to promote implantation. 

TTC Since July 2011  34 years old Unexplained IF
    3 failed IUI's, 6/2013 - IUI #4 150mg clomid, BFP, 7 weeks heartbeat, M/C at 9 weeks

IUI#5 (Oct) & 6 (Nov) 150mg clomid -BFN

Last IUI on 12/7 and that's the end of the road...onto adoption if that is what is meant to be for us. 

• I see that the acupuncture subject has a lot of supporters, at first I was... skeptical, but now I am thinking that there is no harm in trying right? Can you please tell me what is the purpose? Is it so I can calm down, reduce stress and therefore increase the chances or is it related to something else? 
  • I know someone who had acupunture and mesotherapy treatment to ovaries, and got pregnant naturally.
  • nehah12nehah12 member
    edited January 2022
    Hey, I tried acupuncture recently, as my doctor suggested me to try out some herbal supplements because we are facing some issues while TTC. I had gone through 3 sittings till now, it's quite relaxing. Even my friend had tried acupuncture while conceiving, and she got really good results. I hope I will also get a positive response now.
  • nehah12 said:
    Hey, I tried acupuncture recently, as my doctor suggested me to try out some herbal supplements because we are facing some issues while TTC. I had gone through 3 sittings till now, it's quite relaxing. Even my friend had tried acupuncture while conceiving, and she got really good results. I hope I will also get a positive response now.

I keep my fingers crossed for a positive outcome
  • YES. If it is financially possible and you can find a provider- it is totally worth it. I have yet to have my IVF cycle (happening this month, fingers crossed) but I would absolutely recommend for the other benefits. For one- it is super relaxing during a very stressful time. Also- it can help regulate your cycle. It increases bloood flow to your uterus which is important for conception and to avoid pregnancy loss. I al lucky to have a regular period but have always had TERRIBLE cramps. Since starting acupuncture a few months ago- my cramps are totally gone or minimal at most. So that tells me it’s working and having positive effects. Down side is my provider (who I adore) did recommend I come weekly for optimal benefits and it can get pricey quickly. I decided it was worth the cost to hopefully have the best chance in my first IVF round (I’ve had other failed fertility treatments prior to starting acupuncture). 10/10 would recommend. Good luck!!