January 2022 Moms
Options

High Blood Pressure

chelswcu12chelswcu12 member
edited September 2021 in January 2022 Moms
So I had my monthly visit today (I’m 23.5 weeks). My blood pressure was high it was 143/93. I am freaking out. My doctor wants me to come back Monday to check it again, do a 24 hour urine test, and have monthly ultrasounds now to make sure he is growing okay. No protein in my urine today which I guess is good. 
Anyways, I’m so freaked out and want to cry. She wants me to follow a low salt diet and keep walking and drink lots of water.
Has anyone else gone through this? I’m so scared of getting preeclampsia and losing the baby 😢😢😢

Re: High Blood Pressure

• Options
    @chelswcu12 I do not currently have high blood pressure but I do have kidney disease.  My high risk doctor checks the baby's growth every 4 weeks and put me in one baby aspirin per day.  She said that this helps prevent preeclampsia which women with kidney disease a prone to developing.  Walking and lowering your salt intake will help.  Don't eat processed foods or take out that will cut salt out big time.  I have to watch salt to help preserve my kidneys.  It's not that bad just a lot of water and fruit. 
  • Options
    @lizzie_30 thank you for the info ❤️
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My bp always creeps up a bit during pregnancy. I had to do the 24 hour Urine my first pg. I’ve never been diagnosed with preeclampsia or had any complications, but it’s definitely something to closely monitor. I’d ask about taking baby aspirin if they haven’t already mentioned that. 
  • Options
    @kcf19 thank you!!!
  • Options
    @chelswcu12- I also second (or third) asking your doctor about baby aspirin.  I’ve been taking it daily since my transfer back in May.  I actually used to have high blood pressure every so often but haven’t had any issues yet since I started taking it.  Best of luck to you! 
  • Options
    @chelswcu12 I have chronic high bp, had preeclampsia with my first (who is now a perfectly healthy 2.5 yo), and I’m on the same path (but a little better) with this pregnancy. I concur with others on baby aspirin-this has lowered my bp more than anything, and I’m on 2 other daily bp meds. Don’t worry too much about the 24 hr urine test. I did one at my last visit-knowing I’m high risk, my dr wants to get my “baseline” around 20 ish weeks so as I get further along if there are other symptoms, she has a comparison. She did this with my first as well. Honestly I like getting the monthly ultrasounds-helps my anxiety. Preeclampsia is certainly scary, but also not the end of the world if monitored correctly, just need to make sure you’re being properly watched, which it sounds like you are. Good luck and big hugs!
  • Options
    @shinyobjects thank you so much for the feedback ❤️
  • Options
    Hi! I had preeclampsia with both of my babies. My first was born full-term at 38 weeks but I was induced because of preeclampsia. My second was born at 23 weeks and just turned 3 years old! Viability has changed from 24 weeks to 22 weeks in many NICUs. I don't know if that's comforting, but just know if your doctor is letting you go home and not sending you immediately to labor and delivery, that's a good sign. Means it could've been hypertension or something else that made your blood pressure high. I know how scary it can be to think of having a baby so early, but it doesn't mean the worst will happen. Have hope. <3
  • Options
    @starkette thank you so much ❤️

I had my appointment today and my BP is still high (155/95). She wants me to keep monitoring it and tomorrow I should have the results from my 24 hour urine and bloodwork. I’m just so scared 😥 and now I go every 2 weeks for a checkup and every 4 weeks for an ultrasound. Today they said baby is going great and is 3 days ahead. 
    Im just terrified of having to deliver early 😥
    I’m also confused about preeclampsia and If I have high BP if that definitely means I will get it or not. 
  • Options
    Sending hugs, @chelswcu12. I don't have any experience or advice to give, but I'm hoping your tests come back clear  <3