1st Trimester
Options

8 week ultrasound

hey everyone! I had my ultrasound on Wednesday. Baby just looks like a blob, but we saw the heartbeat. Does this look weird to you for 8 weeks? My LMP was July 30, however my cycles are typically 35 days. My doctor still calculated me based on a regular 28 day cycle. I feel like he may have over calculated?

Re: 8 week ultrasound

• Options
    Trust me, if something doesn’t look right, your obgyn or midwife would have told you instantly
  • Options
    Your doctor is the professional! Trust him! If you do not trust, find someone you do! 

"Baby looks just like a blob." Yeah, a baby starts as a clump of cells and develops into a "blob" that resembles a tadpole and eventually develops into a blob with arms, legs, tail looking thing and eventually something that resembles a baby then develops to the size of a newborn.  

A fetus on an ultrasound at 8 weeks does not look like a baby.  It looks like a blob.  

If there was something wrong he would have told you and probably scheduled another scan and/or send you to MFM doctor 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They may have estimated your due date, but if they did an US they measured to confirm your gestational age. Typically if your LMP is within 5 days of your measurement they won’t change your due date. They probably just didn’t mention that because you’re measuring right on track.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    It had me confused because if I have a 35 day cycle I presumed I would be 7w2d, as opposed to 8w2d. That’s why I’m confused. Also, my doctor estimated my due date before I had my ultrasound. They didn’t tell me anything at my ultrasound appointment 
  • Options
    The length of your cycle doesn’t change how many weeks pregnant you are. They go off lmp. A 35 day cycle is still a normal length. 
  • Options
    I also wanted to warn you that you might want to change your username and hide the details on your US for online privacy reasons. You have a very unique name that wouldn’t be hard to find you.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    @meggyme great catch!  
  • Options
    Did you have an abdominal ultrasound or transvaginal? That kind of looks like an abdominal so wouldn’t be as clear to see the fetus. Or they just had older equipment. I’m sure everything is fine since nothing was mentioned. If you don’t trust your provider find a new one.