April 2022 Moms

Peek a boo/ Sneak Peak

@loveanddatadriven I think you mentioned you were trying these. My peekaboo test is ready to take tomorrow and I’m so torn! This will be my last baby (#3). I have two boys and I’m not sure I’m ready to give up my girl dreams forever. 
Curious if anyone else has tried these tests ... if they were accurate and how long it took to get results.
Thanks in advance!
Me: 36 DH: 36
Married: October 2011
DS: January 2016
DS: May 2019
#3: April 2022

Re: Peek a boo/ Sneak Peak

• @winterviolethope I'm taking my Peekaboo later this week! 33% of reviewers left 1-star reviews on Amazon, so not great. Seems like half of the 1-star reviews are because people had trouble getting enough blood from their fingers for a test and half are for inaccurate results. There's probably a bias for unsatisfied customers to be more likely to leave a review. I would place the likely real-life accuracy somewhere between 70-90% if I had to make a rough estimate based on bad data :D . Not as good as NIPT, but better than a coin flip/old wives' tales. Personally, if I was emotionally attached to the outcome of the test, I would wait for NIPT. Getting a girl result when you're having a boy is the most common test failure especially early in pregnancy (test is searching for Y chromosomes in your blood). I'm such a weirdo and will likely try SneakPeak in a week, too. And then NIPT. And then anatomy scan.

FX for your girl!  <3
  • @loveanddatadriven thank you! I appreciate your analysis! I’ll post here tomorrow to let everyone know how the process was
  • Loading the player...
  • *Lurking from March*

I just did my SneakPeak last week! I think they've made the blood collection much easier in the last year. They have a lot of bad reviews on Amazon too regarding the finger prick and not getting enough blood. They now offer an arm snap thing instead of the finger prick. It was super easy. I was mostly stressed about making sure everything was sanitized and clean so I didn't contaminate the sample with any male DNA. I can't speak to if it was accurate yet, but I have a feeling it is (test said girl). I guess time will tell! 
  • @kgg2241 will you let us know once you know if it’s accurate? Also how long did results take? Good luck and congrats on the baby girl!
  • I know I mentioned this previously, but our friends did this and told us they were having a boy and then at 20 weeks (after anatomy scan) had to go back and tell everyone Luis was actually going to be Lucia. I believe ultimately what these tests look for is the presence of male DNA in your blood so if you've ever had a boy before it's much less likely to be accurate because the DNA can linger, etc.
  • @winterviolethope thank you! I mailed the test on a Friday and had my results by midday Tuesday. I did the regular processing time too. Super fast!
  • Ok- here is my update... getting enough blood for the test was incredibly hard! I tried in the morning and followed directions to a tee... I wasn’t even halfway filled after using all three lancets and a kitchen knife (do not recommend). So I put the top on the vial and came back after lunch. This time I found a pin and was able to fill a little more. It was still a teeny bit below the line by the time I was done but I couldn’t prick any more fingers. So, I’m hoping it’s enough! If not- I’m NOT doing it again and I’ll wait for the NIPT at 10 weeks.
    I’m also paranoid about tainting the sample. I did the test in my laundry room because it’s the least frequented room and I have a house full of Y chromosomes LOL (a husband, two sons and a male cat!)
    anyway- I have one more meeting then I’m going to bring it to the fedex drop box. Will update everyone when I get results! I’m going to guess they won’t have enough dna because that’s just my luck 
  • @winterviolethope oh wow, that sounds rough! your poor fingertips! I'm going to wait until Wednesday to test, but I'll report back here as well.
  • @loveanddatadriven got the peekaboo result on Thursday (sent kit on Monday) and it said boy. 
    But, the blood was all over my fingers, I had a male cat hair on my finger while trying to milk it of blood at one point etc, so I ordered sneak peek to double check.
    The Sneak Peek arm test (not the finger lancet) was sooo much easier and seemed much more sterile. I paid to have results expedited. I just sent the kit in today and expect results some point early next week. I’ll let you know if they were consistent but from a user-friendliness point, the Sneek Peak arm test was sooo much better. The blood just came flowing LOL 
  • @winterviolethope oh that’s so good to hear! I might order the sneak peak after all! Also maybe boy #3 for you! :o so many Y chromosomes in your house.  :D

I’ve recently developed cold feet on taking the test until my first U/S (this Tuesday). With all of my health struggles, it’s been hard to get excited about a gender guess test until I know everything is otherwise normal. 
  • @loveanddatadriven good luck on your ultrasound tomorrow! Sending you all the good thoughts!
    so this is crazy… Sneak Peek came back for me today and said it’s a girl! So, I’m kind of back at square one but holding out hope the second test is right because the collection method was much cleaner. I did the one that attached to your arm and the blood goes straight into the test tube (no contact) vs. peekaboo where I had blood dripping underneath my fingernails etc. 
    Any data analysis you can do to help shed light on which may be more accurate? Lol
  • @winterviolethope Hahahahaha. Any answer I give is far too much analysis given the data. I’d just be flipping a coin with you. I’m hoping it’s “girl” for you since the sneakpeak was a cleaner collection and was taken later in your pregnancy than the peekaboo. But then again false “girl” results are the most common failure acknowledged by the testing companies.
  • alops06alops06 member
    edited August 2021
    I did the Sneak Peek at exactly 7W and it came back with Girl. I have 2 Girls already and was praying for my boy. I have huge gender disappointment. I did the SneakPeek snap I found it so easy. I’m praying the results are wrong and that I did it too early. But the instructions and activation said from 7w and on. I did read that some women got false Girl results. So hoping that’s my case.
  • Lurking from ttc***

@alops06 I did sneakpeek with my second and at that point it was recommended to use from 9 or 10 weeks on (4 years ago) and it was accurate for me- to my dismay. I suffered with gender disappointment and my advice is to let yourself feel all the feelings. But, I really came to say that my sister just used sneakpeek last summer with her first pregnancy and did it very early (around 8 weeks) and it came back girl. She had a huge gender reveal party and people started buying her things etc. At the anatomy scan a few months later she called me crying that it was a boy (what she’d actually wanted anyways) and I literally thought she was joking. But it was wrong for her! And she actually got her money back. 
  • Got my second Sneak Peek test (my mom made Me take another!!) and it said GIRL again! So … I’m hoping it’s safe to assume it’s a girl 
  • Omg! That sounds heartbreaking on one end but a blessing on the other. I’ve always wanted boys. This gives me hope. I felt guilt for feeling disappointed, I still am. I plan on doing the NIPT so hopefully I pray my result was wrong. I hope to be as lucky as your sister.
  • Sorry to jump in a week late, but wanted to share in case it was helpful! 

We did SneakPeek with our first in 2019. Back then the earliest time was 8 weeks (it's down to 7 weeks now). I waited an extra week and sent it off at 9 weeks exactly, and results came back within three days. They were correct! I did the finger prick method and had no trouble getting enough blood and didn't have any pain. Definitely less painful than a paper cut. 

I have another SneakPeek test at home that we ordered back in February (TW - loss) and I plan to take it at 8 weeks this time. 
  • I took the Peekaboo test early Wednesday to send out. While registering the test after gathering blood, I learned the lab is closed Friday and Monday for the holiday, so who knows if my blood sample will still be usable. 🤦‍♀️ I had to use all 3 lancets and periodically use a piece of sterile gauze to rough up the injury to get the blood flowing again. I’m definitely not taking the test again since I will be eligible for NIPT on Wednesday.
  • @loveanddatadriven ugh, that's frustrating! I'm sorry you had trouble with filling the vial. That definitely dampens the experience! 

I just took the Sneak Peek test today and mailed it off. It should arrive by Saturday or Monday, with results on Monday or Tuesday. 
  • @aukeev yay! so exciting to have a good hunch on sex of the baby so early in pregnancy.

Peekaboo came back. It’s a girl! 💕 So happy. I get my NIPT results next week to cross reference. I’m looking forward to the “sex of the baby” thread.
  • Our SneekPeak results came back - girl! It was right with DS2, but I'm trying to hold off purchasing tons of girl stuff until we get our NIPT results. 
  • So many girls!!!!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Mailed in my Sneak Peek today. I can’t wait to find out!!