1st Trimester

No Yolk Sac at 6 Weeks?

Hi ladies!

This is my 1st pregnancy, and probably just overreacting, but I am still a little nervous... I went in for an early ultrasound last week because I suddenly lost some symptoms and noticed a brownish discharge. I wasn't sure how far along I was, but my transvaginal US measured me at 6 weeks 4 days, even though the tech when she measured said it looked like 5 weeks 5 days. If going off my ovulation I should be closer to 4 weeks and a few days. So I’m a little confused by the estimate. There was only a gestational sac measuring 10.4mm. No yolk sac. They measured my hcg levels 1st day was 7,235 and 2 days later measured 10,356. So it definitely didn't double. But increased slightly. Anyone gone through this before?? My doctor suggested it could be a blighted ovum. Would love any feedback! I'm set to go for another US next week. Thanks in advance :)

Re: No Yolk Sac at 6 Weeks?

• I'm confused why a loss of symptoms and "old blood" aka brown discharge would require an ultrasound.  Loss of symptoms is not out of the ordinary.  

Honestly your HGC levels are ok.  There is a point in time when HGC stops doubling.   

At this point in time try and not worry and see what happens at the next ultrasound.  Obviously if thing turn you start bleeding red blood,  get severe cramps, etc definately talk to your doctor.  

Best wishes and hope your next US shows good news.  Transvaginal US is the most accurate way of dating, esp if you don't know the exact date of ovulation.  
  • seattlebby1seattlebby1 member
    edited September 2021
    @harpseal135 Thanks! I guess I’m just confused between gestational age vs the estimate of the sac? Gestational age 6w4d & sac is 5w5d? That seems like a big difference.