March 2022 Moms

Randoms w/o Sept 7

Hear 'ye hear 'ye. put your random ish here 

Re: Randoms w/o Sept 7

• I am curious to hear others experience with your OB ordering NIPT. I am a genetic counselor and knew I would want the most comprehensive testing available. Somehow in my nausea-induced haze I left the office last time with the kit and order form, only to realize they didn’t ask me about the test options (sex chromosomes, microdeletion syndromes, etc). They chose the less comprehensive one and opted me out of information I want. I called their office a week ago about this issue and have yet to hear back. Was anyone else offered NIPT options? How did that discussion go? I think my OB office has some room for improvement here….
  • Loading the player...
  • @goldfishcraker Haha it is so fun to see them experience new things. I am sure the toy aisle blew his mind. 

@jenis_fan_for_life I ended up not doing the NIPT this time but last time I was never given an option for what level of test. I just had my blood drawn and that was that. Though I was required to meet with a genetic counselor before the test, so maybe that determined what one they had me do? Not sure. Either way, that is frustrating. 
  • @jenis_fan_for_life my OB was clear that they would not order the NIPT for me due to my age being under 35. She said instead they offered a 2 part screening test that looks for a few chromosomal abnormalities and also neural tube defects. Blood drawn at 12 weeks and 16 weeks. Honestly I did not pay attention to the name. It was an abbreviation. My office is also not doing NT scans right now so they can “catch up” from all the elective scans/IUD insertions etc that were pushed for the pandemic. I wasn’t too pleased with any of this, but also didn’t have it in my to push further.
  • @jenis_fan_for_life Did they give you the ETFS testing instead of the NIPT? Here they generally don't offer the NIPT unless you will be over 40 at delivery or if your ETFS testing comes back with increased risk because those are the only times when it us covered by our provincial health unsurance. So unless you're 40 or over the NIPT is only used after ETFS unless you opt to pay out of pocket, but your doctor should have presented both options regardless.

If it was the NIPT then you can fill out the optional sections on the form yourself. I'm 42 so the NIPT was covered for me, but I had to check the box to find out the sex and it was also up to me to decide if I wanted testing done for the extra microdeletions (there is a cost for the 2 extra microdeletion tests that comes out to about 600$ CAD out of pocket if you opt for them).

If you have to pay out of pocket anyways you can request that your doctor order the NIPT for you (if you need a requisition for it where you are) or you can start with the ETFS and if anything comes back as abnormal then move on to the NIPT if that makes sense.

I don't know how the system typically works where you are but I'm sorry you weren't at least offered the options available:(
  • @jenis_fan_for_life I had a similar experience last pregnancy, when I asked for the genetic testing and later found out my midwife had only called in the most basic kinds of genetic testing. This time I knew a little more and asked for a little more testing. Turns out her office doesn't offer that, but she was happy to give me a referral to maternal-fetal medicine who will do all of that for me. It's so frustrating when simple paperwork stuff like that gets in the way of patients being given all of their medical options. Can you tell us more about what we should ask for if we want more expansive testing done? 
  • I have my first class tomorrow, of my 3 years of extra paramedic training.

I realized today, that I had missed approximately 400 pages of pre-reading. (I had done about 700).
    So I had a melt down.

My brain is mush now 😅
    And I have to stay awake, AND concentrate aaaall day tomorrow. My brain is all pregnancy-foggy.

DH is taking DS to the zoo, since we haven't gone in a month due to my bed rest situation. It's the first time he's gone without me. I'm jealous haha.
  • gembudgembud member
    edited September 2021
    @morgantu same, bare minimum. How is it not Friday?!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @morgantu @gembud thank God today IS my Friday! But we have 0 production and more than half the building is gone so today is draggggging. 

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @kgg2241  @night_nurse thanks for sharing your experience! It is exhausting to have to advocate for these things while dealing with all the first trimester symptoms. 

@Panaceia I am in the states, so I think it is a little different here. I believe ACOG recommends all pregnant people are offered screening options, including NIPT, regardless of age. During my last pregnancy (31 at delivery), my insurance didn’t cover NIPT but the lab offered a fairly reasonable self-pay price for those whose insurance denied the service. A good friend of mine (same age, <35) who has the same insurance through our mutual employer was able to get it covered through insurance a few months ago, so I’m hopeful our insurance policy has caught up with the technology this time around. 

@jessier19 In the absence of a known genetic condition in the family, the most comprehensive testing via NIPT would look for common trisomies (21,18,13), missing or extra sex chromosomes, and several known microdeletion (missing pieces of chromosomes) syndromes, such as 22q11 deletion syndrome, Noonan syndrome, etc. There is also value in knowing the levels of blood analytes drawn in the first and second trimester (one can indicate an increased risk for placental or growth issues and another can indicate an increased risk for an open neural tube defect), as well as the NT scan that measures the pocket of fluid behind the baby’s neck in the first trimester. In short, you could request NIPT, blood analytes in first and second trimester, and an NT scan. I hope that makes sense - feel free to ask any follow up questions!
  • @goldfishcraker Aaaah that's amazing!!! I'm so jealous!!!! I'm sure I felt him a few times last week at night, but I think he was really wedged against my side when I laid down. I haven't felt anything since and can't wait for it to start. I'm hoping because of the posterior placenta that I'll start feeling him early and often!!!!
  • !!! @goldfishcraker yay I'm so glad! The ultrasound tech burst my bubble to other day when she said I have an anterior placenta lol. I must have been talking myself into it. But it's soooooo reassuring so I'm glad it's happening for you! 
  • Thanks ladies!
    I'm excited for the regular, reassuring movements. But I'm still stoked! I was beginning to wonder if I had an anterior placenta too.
    I hope that everyone else gets the tickles soon too!
  • @goldfishcraker thats always a relief!  I'm so glad it went well! 
  • @goldfishcraker oh good! That is a big relief. I told my boss too. He seemed totally fine with it, thank goodness. Also, I'm starting to feel movement too! I had an anterior placenta last time, so this is pretty neat to be able to feel her already. 
  • @kgg2241 ooo that is so exciting! I'm so glad you're feeling her already!!!